CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: C# Basics

Exclamation C# Basics

Hello, I have a few concerns.

One is that I was programming using C++ .NET and I added a double buffer to a Panel Box on my Form application. When I tried to do the same thing in C#, I was unable to? Why is that?

Another is that the On_Paint Event for the Form in C# seems to update slower than the one for the Panel Box in C++. In the On_Paint method, I call Invalidate and move an image around. In C++ it is smooth and sharp, but in C#, even with the double buffer added to the Form (instead of a Panel Box) it is choppy. Is there a reason for that?

Another is that I found a sample app online written in MFC that uses DirectSound to play multiple sounds at once. I need the ability to do that however adding the classes that play these sounds (from the MFC app) causes my project to have a lot of compile errors. How would I play two sounds at once either in C# or C++???

If you can't tell, I am a novice and any clear, descriptive and concise reading material and/or instructions would be extremely appreciated.

Re: C# Basics

Firstly, you shouldn't be calling Invalidate in the Paint handler. This'll cause the display to repeatedly redraw. That's probably your problem with the double buffering : you're just covering up a more basic issue in C++ by enabling double buffering.

Secondly, you'll need to turn the MFC code into a native dll to be called using platform invoke from C#. You could inject the MFC code directly into VC++.NET : but I'd turn it into a native dll if I were you.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

Greetings.

In response to your query about the audio issue, I suggest that you have a look at the FMOD Ex Library (www.fmod.org). It is extremely capable and now directly supports C#. I'm sorry I cannot offer you guidance on using Directsound because I cannot recommend it because it is a) slow b) not cross flatform.

Regards.

I downloaded the FMOD Ex Library, however I do not see any support for C#, and also, it is unmanaged. How would I use this code (I noticed that DirectSound is extrememly slow) or find the documentation for C#?

If it's unmanaged, you won't find any C# documentation for it.

Personally I'd wrap up the library in a native static C++ dll and then use P/Invoke to call it.

Either that or write an ole-compatible (i.e. dual interfaced) COM object which provides an interface with the library.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

What I meant to say is that the Library Code for the FMOD is unmanaged. I found main.cpp files that contained code for unmanaged projects, however C# is managed and that is what I am using. Is there a way to use FMOD with C#? And if so, how would I do that? Also, I do not know how to make a dll, I am new to this.

You can find the .cs files in /api/csharp in the fmod directory. The documentation is, unfortunately, targeted at c/c++ users.

I take the route of wrapping it in my own c++ library and then importing that because I can batch the calls and add my own mem buffer implementation (FMOD can use a fixed mem buffer internally).

Since you aren't familiar with how to make a native dll, I would stick to using the provided wrapper classes provided with the api for c#.

Regards.

I found the documentation and examples, but is there a way to play sound directly from a Stream object. Also, I know C/C++ and switched to C# because I heard it was easier to play sound/videos with.