CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: a cry for help

Exclamation a cry for help

Hi all, Im a budding computing student from England, ive recently been given the task of resitting a Networking exam for university, and im stuck on something

I have to produce some pseudo code as part of a question, and im totally lost on it, i would very much appreciate any help you can give

heres the question

Question: Consider a simple time-query client-server application service. The client sends a message asking for the time and the server replies by a message of the required time. Client and server exchange messages through datagram sockets

Do the following: Provide pseudo code for both client and server program to achieve this time-query service. The pseudo code should make use of the UDP and include relevant calls to the UNIX sockets library, though the code need not be in any

thanks people, i very much appreciate it

Re: a cry for help

you do realize that the reason they chose UDP is probably so that you have to implement some sort of reliability into it? i mean.. if this were not a school project, you woudl definitely choose tcp for something like this!

what's the problem writing pseudo code? you just have declare/initialize your sockets, send the messages! look into sliding window for mechanisms to implement reliability..

i havent a clue how to do that though. im not generally a programmer. Im more graphics and design side of computing. its just this module is part of my course and im bad at it

i was looking for perhaps a few lines of pseudo code which i could make a start on developing from.

well.. its forum policy not to do homework...

but you will find some useful information on creating scokets, sending messages here:
    http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial...et-Sockets/456

can you confirm that you have to incorporate some sort of reliability into your programs? if so, google sliding window..