CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hopefully not a completely ignorant question

I am a halfway competent C++ programmer, but I only do it as a hobby. I have been considering switching to programming as a full time job. Are there any certifications/licenses/whatever that will allow me to get a decent C++ job without going back to school?

Re: Hopefully not a completely ignorant question

You should look at the "Open Positions (Jobs)" and "Looking for Work" sections of this forum.

I think the problem is getting your first job. You may have the necessary expertise to program in C++ but you have to get to the interview in order to demonstrate that. It depends greatly on the type of employer and kind of programming you want to do.

Check out some of the recruitment sites, look at the jobs and see what sort of skills/qualifications they require.

A large employer may place more emphasis on qualifications, whereas a smaller younger company might be prepared to interview candidates who have come into software via a more unorthodox route.

You need to convince a potential employer that you could do the job (before they will even interview you). Unfortunately the "hobby" image would worry me as a recruiter. Hobby programs and commercial strength software are vastly different in their scale and complexity.
    Last edited by Dave McLelland; August 14th, 2005 at 06:13 AM.
    Dave Mclelland.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitouken
    . Are there any certifications/licenses/whatever that will allow me to get a decent C++ job without going back to school?
    Unfortunately there are no nationally recognized programming licenses other than a Software Engineer -- but you need a BS in Engineering or related field to get it. Most programmers who call themselves "Software Engineers" are no such thing because they are not licensed.

Well, in response to the hobby issue, I have no intention of going for a job until I learn a good bit more. I would specify that I learned C++ for the precise purpose of getting a job; I realize that what I know now in no way qualifies me to be a commercial programmer. Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll keep it in mind.