CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

About the book: The C++ programing langauge

Hi,

I am a new programer and I started reading the book "The C++ programing langauge". I was unable to understand to what the auther was redering to as map, vector...
    Are they a build-in types in C++? Would C++ would know whats a Vector? or i need to define an array or a structe like in C?

Thanks

Re: About the book: The C++ programing langauge

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_
    Hi,

I am a new programer and I started reading the book "The C++ programing langauge". I was unable to understand to what the auther was redering to as map, vector...
    Are they a build-in types in C++? Would C++ would know whats a Vector? or i need to define an array or a structe like in C?

Thanks
    The author is more than just the author -- he is the inventor of the C++ language itself.

First, The C++ Programming Language is a good book, but it is difficult to read if you are a beginner. I would suggest getting one of Lippman's books (C++ Primer).

The vector works just like an array, only safer and is more extensible than an array. It is used in place of coding your own "dynamic array" class. A map is another data structure (key-value pairs).

Maps, vectors, lists, etc. are "built-in" with respect to the library that comes with every ANSI compliant C++ compiler. All compilers that are ANSI compliant, regardless of the operating system or platform, has the vector, map, list (aka STL) classes available, making them portable to use, and why Stroustrup mentions them -- they have become part of the C++ language library.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Talking Re: About the book: The C++ programing langauge

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie
    The author is more than just the author -- he is the inventor of the C++ language itself.