CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

MFC42ud.lib link error, any work around other than re-install

Hi,

I am trying to compile a program developed in MS VC++ 6.0. The program compiled fine, but when i try to build the program it throws error:
    "Linking...
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42ud.lib"

I have searched some of the previous posts and found following

1. From build menu--> choose set active configuration and choose WIN32debug --I did that but no help

2. Re-install Visual Studio (don't want to do this, unless there is no other choice).

3. Tried to serach for MFC32ud.lib, but was not able to find ( No help). Found MFC32d.dll in WINDOWS/system32 -- but do not know what to do with it ( probably it is used only in run-time)

Is there any other work around other than re-install ?

Can someone throw some light on this ?

TIA

Re: MFC42ud.lib link error, any work around other than re-install

did you install unicode support when you install dev studio
    and Canada rocks!! Peace bro.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I did not install unicode. I am asking is there any work around other than re-install.

TIA

hm.. even if I can I wouldn't trust a work around. What is the problem in reinstalling. Lost the CD?
    and Canada rocks!! Peace bro.

I'm new to this forum and have a similar issue.

I'm porting VC++ 6.0 project into VS 2008. While doing so, I encountered linker error: cannot open mfc42ud.lib. however I found this file in C:...\MFC\lib where VC++ 6.0 is installed. I added this path into the Additional Library Directories of the VS 2008 project settings

(Note:- VS 2008 is installed in D drive and I'm using Unicode Debug mode)

On doing so, I get the foll. errors:-
    Error 7 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _ATOI referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CDevSelectionDlg::GetValidICDFilePath(struct structSelectedDevData &,int)" (?GetValidICDFilePath@CDevSelectionDlg@@QAEJAAUstructSelectedDevData@@H@Z) DevSelectionDlg.obj

Error 8 fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals d:\SFT850\SFT_850\SFT850\SFT850Resources\UNCDebug\SFT850Resources.dll 1

kindly suggest methods to debug these errors.

Thank u

I'm porting VC++ 6.0 project into VS 2008. While doing so, I encountered linker error: cannot open mfc42ud.lib.
    MFC42 is the version VS6 compiles with. As you say you are porting the project to VS2008, I hardly can understand how you could get such a message. The only case I could imagine is you're trying to make it unicode first in VS6. If yes, I'd suggest instead to port it as is (MBCS), and turn it to unicode only after success of your first step.

BTW, did you use the project conversion tool, or you're trying to do that porting some other way?
    Best regards,
    Igor