CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 85 of 157 FirstFirst ... 35758283848586878895135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2342

Re: CG members photo album

Nice sneakers.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    The photo below captures a meet at the entrance to the Pergamon Museum...
    Sid... photogenic as usual! I've had a chance to see the pictures from the German MVP Open Days today, and, as always, Sid really stands out in every picture where he appears. That's where the Bollywood origins shine through...

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    Nice sneakers.
    Sneakers? As far as I can tell, Tutankhamun is bare-footed in the picture...

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Sneakers? As far as I can tell, Tutankhamun is bare-footed in the picture...
    Aw, you know what I mean.
    Btw, I am curious... when someone is "photogenic" does that always mean that they look good only in pictures?
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Btw, I am curious... when someone is "photogenic" does that always mean that they look good only in pictures?
    Actually, that's an interesting phenomenon. Some persons (like Sid) look good in reality, and that effect is also almost always reflected in photographs. Other, less photogenic persons, while having a positive ("good-looking") impact in reality, tend to appear unfavourable in pictures. I must admit that I have no idea about the underlying principles of this observation...

// Edit: In addition, and to answer your original question: Of course, the opposite exists as well: Persons who look good only in pictures. But usually and asymetrically, these tend to look good in reality as well - the disenchantment comes when they open their beautiful mouth to express a thought...

// Edit 2: The good news is: Contrary to what it might seem at a first glance: We are on topic this time!
    Last edited by gstercken; April 19th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

Actually, that's an interesting phenomenon. Some persons (like Sid) look good in reality, and that effect is also almost always reflected in photographs. Other, less photogenic persons, while having a positive ("good-looking") impact in reality, tend to appear unfavourable in pictures. I must admit that I have no idea about the underlying principles of this observation...
    Hmm. Maybe because some feel uneasy when being photographed, hence they don't look as good as in person? (Just a theory). Probably, facial bone structure, lighting, etc also comes into play? Anyways, its nice to find out that you also find this "phenomenon" interesting.

// Edit: In addition, and to answer your original question: Of course, the opposite exists as well: Persons who look good only in pictures. But usually and asymetrically, these tend to look good in reality as well - the disenchantment comes when they open their beautiful mouth to express a thought...
    Very true.

// Edit 2: The good news is: Contrary to what it might seem at a first glance: We are on topic this time!
    Thank goodness for that!
    Last edited by cherish; April 19th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

nice pic, Sid Seems to be a nice place

Maybe because some feel uneasy when being photographed, hence they don't look as good as in person? (Just a theory).
    Rejected. The observation usually also applies (and often especially) when the subjects in question are not aware that they are being photographed.

Probably, facial bone structure, lighting, etc also comes into play?
    Plausible, but probably not sufficient. My theory goes more like this: Even a person who is objectively "ugly" (read: unphotogenic) can be charming, have charisma and a way to behave, move and express her-/himself in a way that always renders the person pretty and attractive in a "live" scenario, while these attributes are evidently missing in any photograph - hence the discrepancy. Just a theory expressed in three words, however... But you get the idea.

Anyways, its nice to find out that you also find this "phenomenon" interesting.
    Seriously, I have always been stunned by the fact that some individuals who always look good in reality often make a bad appearance in photographs. Others just always look good. That's what the term "photogenic" is all about - but I never found a definitive answer to what "photogenicity" really means. Fortunately, we have the chit chat forum here on CodeGuru for that...

// Edit: And, not to be forgotten, Wikipedia. But I have the strong feeling that what they tell us there is not much more than the amateur philosopy we are doing here...
    Last edited by gstercken; April 19th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.

cool pic sid

//your friend is really big..
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

// Edit: And, not to be forgotten, Wikipedia. But I have the strong feeling that what they tell us there is not much more than the amateur philosopy we are doing here...
    Wow. I was actually going to post Wikipedia's say on the subject.

Wow. I was actually going to post Wikipedia's say on the subject.
    I admit that I haven't done any serious research on the subject - but I have just edited the Wikipedia entry 'Photogenic', adding my lay thoughts...

I admit that I haven't done any serious research on the subject - but I have just edited the Wikipedia entry 'Photogenic', adding my lay thoughts...
    I wonder if one can see your addition right away?
    Last edited by cherish; April 19th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.

I wonder if one can see you addition right away?
    Well, it's there - that's what Wikipedia is all about. My addition is the third paragraph in the article (those unqualified ramblings about charisma etc.)

Well, it's there - that's what Wikipedia is all about. My addition is the third paragraph in the article (those unqualified ramblings about charisma etc.)
    Ohh. I see it now. I missed that part earlier. Nice entry, btw.

Nice entry, btw.
    Thanks, but it certainly needs some reworking. After all, it's just my dumb little personal theory. I'm sure that some serious research has been done on the subject, and as soon as I can afford some time, I'll track it down and try to update the article in a more qualified manner. For the moment, I just enjoy the funny thought that everybody currently enquiring Wikipedia about the term 'Photogenic' will read my personal blabla and consider it as part of the latest findings on that subject... That's what makes an institution like Wikipedia interesting and dangerous at the same time, after all...

Page 85 of 157 FirstFirst ... 35758283848586878895135 ... LastLast