CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 138 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2342

Re: CG members photo album

Snaps taken on my recent trip to Alaska ( road + 7 day cruise from Alaska to Vancouver )

At the Arctic circle:

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing
    At Denali National Park. Behind me is apparently Mt. Denali, all covered in clouds

Behind the cabin in which we stayed was a nice river flowing:

Pictures taken on the way to the cruise terminal

The cruise liner:

Glacier in the background:

In Haines, in front of a majestic totem pole:

Took a bike ride to go around the town and vicinity:

.. and a hike :

Mendenhall glacier:

Kayak tour in Juneau:

In Vancouver, Canada:

Wow, Kiran... Beautiful photos. Looks like you had a great trip...

How cold was it out there? I guess, this is one of the warmest times in the year to visit Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    Wow, Kiran... Beautiful photos. Looks like you had a great trip...
    Thanks. I did have a great time
    How cold was it out there?
    Depends on where. Can you believe that at the arctic circle where that picture was taken, it was around 85 F ( so you see I just have a T-shirt on )? That was a revelation to me. Apparently, inland Alaska CAN get very warm. It is as you move towards the waters that the chillness starts.

It was cold near the glaciers ( College Fjord, Glacier Bay area and such). But manageable. It was very pleasant in the places we walked around ( we had a day each to go around the Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan ports ). Kind of misty weather I should say.
    I guess, this is one of the warmest times in the year to visit Alaska?
    You are right. It is one of the warmest times and best times to visit if you want to do some outdoors stuff in Alaska. And in places close to Arctic circle ( Denali, Fairbanks etc. ) you have the sun to help you circling for as good as 22 hrs a day

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    you have the sun to help you circling for as good as 22 hrs a day
    Yeah... At this time of the year...

...And it screws up the body-clock and one can probably not sleep unless one uses dark curtains and forces oneself into bed.

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    t does affect the universe as a whole as well. [...] The conversion of the oil from liquid crude state to gaseous state after undergoing combustion is a chemical reaction (including the oil processing to make it usable as a fuel). It generates heat/enthalpy. The entropy, on the other hand, always increases - whatever you do.
    This is an interesting thought, but probably not true.

Oil and coal when burnt produce energy - yes. However, this energy is nothing but the solar energy trapped in the flora and fauna of the planet millions of years ago. Hence, these fuels are called "fossil fuel". So, at a universal (nay, even at a Solar level) - the release of heat energy due to the burning oil and coal should result in a net-zero addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    This is an interesting thought, but probably not true.

Oil and coal when burnt produce energy - yes. However, this energy is nothing but the solar energy trapped in the flora and fauna of the planet millions of years ago. Hence, these fuels are called "fossil fuel". So, at a universal (nay, even at a Solar level) - the release of heat energy due to the burning oil and coal should result in a net-zero addition.
    If it is not true, then I think you are ready to put in a revolutionary theory that beats the fundamental laws of thermodynamics.

The formation of fuel is a result of work done. That work is done due to the energy in the system. Fossil fuels form as a result of pressure (and probably more factors) and the matter that undergoes transformation under pressure and that pressure is not just out of nothing. There is some work done to produce some pressure be it work by gravitation or whatever. That process is not 100% efficient that it converts all that energy into the energy stored in fuels.

So, it does actually add up on the reference scale, it may be comparatively negligible but it is not 0.

The formation of fuel is a result of work done. That work is done due to the energy in the system.
    And you mean to say that the fossil fuel created by the 'system' resulted in that very 'system' have more energy after the fuel was burnt?

Say, lets refer to the Law of Conservation of Energy, then...

Fossil fuels form as a result of pressure (and probably more factors)
    These "more factors" were the energy trapped in the vegetation due to sunlight.

i.e. The calorific content of the fuel comes from sunlight of the yesteryears -- sun being the source of energy for plants and animals.

http://www.solarschools.net/facts_an...ewable_energy/

Just as plants do today, those living millions of years ago converted the sun's light energy into food (chemical) energy through the process of photosynthesis. That 'solar' energy was and is transferred down the food chain in animals. This energy provides living things with the energy to grow and live. When living organisms die the energy contained within them as chemical energy is trapped.

It is estimated that the total amount of energy gained from fossil fuels since the start of civilization is equivalent to the same amount of energy we receive every 30 days from the sun.

Fossil fuels are formed by the burying, and subsequent pressure and heating, of dead plant and animal matter or biomass (organic matter), over millions of years. This is how coal, oil and natural gas are formed. The trapped energy can be released and utilized when the fuels are burnt.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; July 24th, 2007 at 07:35 AM.

I would be wrong if I gave the impression that energy is being created. I am just saying that it is changing form to something that can have adverse impacts on earth basically.

On the universal level, of course it will be so minute that it would be ridiculous to consider it. Compare that with the approx. 10^22 stars hosting fusion. Burning fuel on earth is not even comparative to the fusion on Sun. Even if there happens a nuclear war on earth with fusion bombs, it cannot match that. Coz we don't have enough hydrogen to sustain it longer (or do we)

everytime i trek to the north of my country from the poluted capital it adds to my face exoneration,this is one pic of me in spring (beside my twine sister )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Everyone Who is Discussing global warming and other science stuff
    ...Discussion so far...
    Contamination Warning: The CG Photo Album thread has been slipped from it's rails...
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Just some Photoshop fun!
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Talking Re: CG members photo album

I Discovered that I am not there on the list
    So I added mine.
    Last edited by dsrahul; November 20th, 2008 at 09:06 AM.

I've just returned from vacation in Italy. During my stay there, I've visited Venice and two near-by islands, Murano and Burano. The later was a very exotical island with houses painted in vivid colors. Probably the only requirement is to be as different as possible from the other neighbors. It really worth visiting.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

So maybe a tie-dyed shirt would be perfect. There. Nice photo!
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Page 138 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141148 ... LastLast