CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 86 of 157 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687888996136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2342

Re: CG members photo album

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Thanks, but it certainly needs some reworking. After all, it's just my dumb little personal theory. I'm sure that some serious research has been done on the subject, and as soon as I can afford some time, I'll track it down and try to update the article in a more qualified manner.
    But considering you composed/presented your personal theory in a clear manner in so short a time, its quite good.

For the moment, I just enjoy the funny thought that everybody currently enquiring Wikipedia about the term 'Photogenic' will read my personal blabla and consider it as part of the latest findings on that subject...
    Make that the two of us then.
    Last edited by cherish; April 19th, 2006 at 10:10 PM.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

nice pic sid
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

Wink Re: CG members photo album

Dear Folks,

Thank you for your compliments... I am having a rough day at the moment and will reply to your comments in detail - a little later.

What surprises me upfront is Guido's intense thoughts on "photogenicity" (a topic that suits this thread to a T) - ones he came up with in the wee hours of the morning (3 a.m) and even added his piece of mind to Wikipedia.
    I did know of him being a nocturnal guy, but this initiative was really cool.

I'll get back later... Keep the interesting discussions going...

Ciao,
    Sid!
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 20th, 2006 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Okay, words can be mis-interpreted!

Quote Originally Posted by ideru
    that is a pharoah right??
    That's what some say... But, given the fact that he has code inscribed all around him, he is one just like any of us... A Codeguru first and a Pharaoh next.

However, I am kind of pis*** that he refused to acknowledge the presence of a fellow member, let alone talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    Nice sneakers.
    Thanks...

That was an advertisement for sneakers.

Sid... photogenic as usual! I've had a chance to see the pictures from the German MVP Open Days today, and, as always,
    Honestly speaking - there are a few hundred photos out there where my looks range from wierd, to extra-terrestrial, to being simply rascal-like. I keep these away from you all... In a safe locked by a couple of hundred locks the keys to which I've attempted throwing away into the ocean - lest someone gets them.

BTW... Where did you see the photos from the German MVP day? Sharepoint portal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Sid really stands out in every picture where he appears. That's where the Bollywood origins shine through...
    A guy from the Bollywood city of Bombay in the company of MVPs in Munich has to stand out, I presume - what with that skin tone, and hair color...

It's plain contrast at play... Right?

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    ABtw, I am curious... when someone is "photogenic" does that always mean that they look good only in pictures?
    IMO, the roots of the word photogenic has to do with photography. i.e. I doubt if this word ever existed before the invention of the still camera, and of photographs.

So, while "photogenic" conclusively means that the person looks good in "photos", it doesn't discount the possibility of an individual looking good otherwise. In doing so, the term doesn't confirm it either.

My 2 cents...

Wink Re: CG members photo album

But usually and asymetrically, these tend to look good in reality as well - the disenchantment comes when they open their beautiful mouth to express a thought...
    While I am not sure what you mean by "usually and asymetrically", I got the jist of the statement and agree with it.

I think when we meet a person whom we have seen in a photograph, (s)he tends to move from the realm of visual appeal which includes photogenicity to actual "likeability", "attractability" and "dislikeability" - virtues that often take priority over "visual appeal".

So, a "photogenic" person, or a person who looks good appeals to our visual senses, but can possibly fail in the faculties that result in being percieved as "likeable" or "attractive" and hence, lose value in the viewer's eyes.

Likewise, often when one meets a person who didn't make an impression on a photograph i.e. with less "visual appeal" but scores high points on the scales of "likeability" and "attractability" increases in value in the viewers' eyes - who might get prejudiced sufficiently enough to find this person henceforth as visually appealing as well.

Having said this - I must add that in my opinion - the statement I made in italics above is true for men and true for women in different ways. That is, men in general are more prone to making compromises on behavorial "likeability" for sake of "visual appeal" than women are - or put it differently - "visual appeal" affects their perception of "likeability" and "attractability".

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 20th, 2006 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    nice pic, Sid Seems to be a nice place
    It is a great place... Every time I leave Berlin, I vow to return.

If you ever make a Europe tour - Berlin is a city I would say you should not miss. More so if history and culture interests you. There ain't no place on this planet that has seen so much happen in the 20th century - the way the city of Berlin has.

Additionally, it has great Museums too - on Greecian, Roman, Turkish, as well as on Egyptian and other African Cultures. German archeologists who were at the forefront of discovering ancient sites around the world transported huge structures with utmost care and brought them here for reconstruction in original form and conservation - one reason that they survived. There is a lot to see.

One of the most famous Egyptian Relics - the exquisite bust of Queen Nefertiti is currently housed in the Altes Museum, next to the Pergamon Museum where that previous photo was taken. The bust was found in a site that is presumed to belong to the royal potter, and if you see closely, he hasn't completed his work on the bust. The left eye is incomplete.

Here is a photo taken by me (the 3300 year old relic is an original and in an as-is condition)...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 20th, 2006 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Payne
    //your friend is really big..
    ...And made of stone...

// Figuratively and literally so - after all, he wasn't as excited to see me as I was to see him.

So are you done with your monologue, Sid?

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    BTW... Where did you see the photos from the German MVP day? Sharepoint portal?
    Yes - Florian, Olaf and Alexander have published over 300 pictures there in the meantime.

While I am not sure what you mean by "usually and asymetrically"...
    What I meant is: It is asymetrical in the sense that while less photogenic persons look good in reality and bad on photographs, the opposite is not necessarily true for photogenic persons: They look good on photographs, but usually also in real life...

So, a "photogenic" person, or a person who looks good appeals to our visual senses, but can possibly fail in the faculties that result in being percieved as "likeable" or "attractive" and hence, lose value in the viewer's eyes.

Likewise, often when one meets a person who didn't make an impression on a photograph i.e. with less "visual appeal" but scores high points on the scales of "likeability" and "attractability" increases in value in the viewers' eyes - who might get prejudiced sufficiently enough to find this person henceforth as visually appealing as well.

Having said this - I must add that in my opinion - the statement I made in italics above is true for men and true for women in different ways. That is, men in general are more prone to making compromises on behavorial "likeability" for sake of "visual appeal" than women are - or put it differently - "visual appeal" affects their perception of "likeability" and "attractability".
    Sid, have you ever thought about contributing to Wikipedia?

Back to the original purpose of this thread: Here's Sid and me at the second day of the MVP Open Days at Munich last weekend. I think you can clearly see who went to sleep immediately after dinner the evening before, and who decided to spend another two hours or so discussing the future features of Visual Studio, WinFX and the .NET Framework with some Microsofties at the hotel bar...

At lunch, on the first day:

Attending a session (don't know where Sid had ended up...)

At dinner:

Page 86 of 157 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687888996136 ... LastLast