CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 102 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104105112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2342

Re: CG members photo album

/click on first thumbnail, then "View Slideshow" below image.

Nice pics, cherish and a nice blog too.
    sreehari, those pictures are awesome.. sadly, I haven't visited Mahabalipuram yet Am sure you had a memorable time there.
    ovidiucucu, nice photo of your pet
    Last edited by kirants; June 3rd, 2006 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks Kiran
    memorable time well in one way yes it was actually a client visit.... to Kalpakkam abt 40Km or less from Mahabalipuram.
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

@Ovidiu and sreehari: Please bear with the arachnophobes possibly visiting this thread...

// I know what I'm talking about - I've grown up with a sister like that. Seeing the pictures you've posted would probably be sufficient for her to stay away from the computer for a month or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    Canon Digital IXUS 800 IS
    To make it short - I got my camera. Thanks, Sid!

To make it long: Getting it was not so easy. As mentioned, I went to the shopping mall nearby, which also hosts a MediaWorld store (equivalent to the MediaMarkt chain in Germany). They are famous for their notoriously unavailable and uninformed sales staff... While I quickly spotted the Canon Digital IXUS 800 IS, it was near to imposible to grab one of the sales guys in order to simply hand me the camera and let me pay for it (no consultance required, since Sid had already kindly taken care of that ). After having been waiting for something like 15 minutes (in the meantime, I had a chance to look at the various models, and wondered why the IXUS 750, yet having a higher resolution (7 MP) than the 800 IS, came only roughly 2/3 of the price), I got somewhat impatient and eventually decided to pull one of the anti-theft cables installed on the cameras in display, hoping that the ear-scattering sound of the alarm bell would somehow attract the attention of the sales personnel - but no way: While some of the customers frowned at the obtrusive sound of the alarm and turned away, none of the three busy sales guys in the area even bothered to turn their heads. Go figure... After some time, I finally managed to get one of them to my side, and asked about the difference between the two models.

Salesperson: Hm... well, it must be the Wi-Fi...
    G: Wi-Fi? You mean, that camera has a WLAN adapter?
    S: Yes, you know, so you can transfer pictures to a computer.
    G: Fine. So if you can guarantee that this IXUS 800 has a WLAN adapter (I knew it hadn't), I'll take it.
    S: Wait a moment... I think I got this wrong. The Wi-Fi model is... actually... this one (showing me an older 5 MP model with a WLAN adapter).
    G: No, that's not what I was looking for. I'm interested in the IXUS 800 IS, and I just want to know what justifies it's high price - as compared to the 750, for example, which has a higher resolution.
    S: Oh, really...? Wait... (studying the product description plates next to the cameras) well, this one has a 4x optical zoom, not only 3x...
    G: And that justifies the much higher price?
    S: Wait... Ha! It also has advanced anti-shake mode. That's a very advanced feature...
    G: Cool! So I guess I'll take this one...

// You see, I haven't been in the mood to seriously compare features or question this expert's advice... I knew anyway what I wanted, and just blindly followed Sid's recommendation... So thanks again, Sid!

Now it turned out that my camera wasn't available in the shelf, and he had to fetch it from the repository. So he said to me "Vado a prendere la macchina" (which, in this case, simply meant: "I'm going to fetch your camera" - "macchina" (machine) being short for "macchina fotografica" (camera). However, "macchina", most of he times in Italian just means "car" - so his statement would normally translate to "I'm just going to take the car". My reply ("Oh, I didn't know your store is *that* big...") didn't even make him smile... Oh my, those sales guys working in these globalized multi-media store chains must be really stressed...

I'm pretty happy with that camera by now (although I now remember what initially made me decide against it: You can't charge the battery without removing it from the camera and placing it into the special battery charger cradle. That's somwehat limiting, but I guess I'll have to live with that).

Also missing: Pet mode (although there's a combined "Kids&Pets" mode [Manual: "Allows you to capture subjects that move around, such as children and pets..."], which led my daughter to the question why there isn't also an equally discriminating "women/slaves" mode, or yet... [she came up with a list of additional examples that I won't quote here for the sake of political correctness])

heheh really nice description well i really had a good laugh, when you told him that ul get your car
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

Also missing: Pet mode (although there's a combined "Kids&Pets" mode [Manual: "Allows you to capture subjects that move around, such as children and pets..."], which led my daughter to the question why there isn't also an equally discriminating "women/slaves" mode, or yet... [she came up with a list of additional examples that I won't quote here for the sake of political correctness])
    ROTFL I seems your daughter believes in the 'mistreatment' of women.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

That was another interesting account, Guido...

I hope this purchase works well for you, and you enjoy the photographs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    I had a chance to look at the various models, and wondered why the IXUS 750, yet having a higher resolution (7 MP) than the 800 IS, came only roughly 2/3 of the price), [...]
    S: Wait... Ha! It also has advanced anti-shake mode. That's a very advanced feature...
    Yes, this is a really cool-feature that I miss in mine. It is something like the lens-CCD assembly being mounted on a spring that allows the camera to take stable photographs (an analogy would be a gyroscope) even when the photographer's hands are shaking like in a long exposure shot, or when the camera is moving.

EDIT: I just found that IS stands for Image Stabilization, and it is using a gyroscope. That was a cool analogy.

So, a typical human hand can at best photograph at not less than 1 / 50 sec without encountering blur - but, this one may in most cases put the limit lower allowing for better low-light photography.

Additionally, the IXUS 800 IS being 6 months newer than the IXUS 750, plays a major role in the latter being cheaper.

****, I should perhaps be selling cameras.
    // You see, I haven't been in the mood to seriously compare features or question this expert's advice... I knew anyway what I wanted, and just blindly followed Sid's recommendation... So thanks again, Sid!
    You are welcome, Guido.

I hope you like the photos this camera takes, and it suits you... Which is most important.
    Now it turned out that my camera wasn't available in the shelf, and he had to fetch it from the repository. So he said to me "Vado a prendere la macchina" (which, in this case, simply meant: "I'm going to fetch your camera" - "macchina" (machine) being short for "macchina fotografica" (camera). However, "macchina", most of he times in Italian just means "car" - so his statement would normally translate to "I'm just going to take the car". My reply ("Oh, I didn't know your store is *that* big...") didn't even make him smile... Oh my, those sales guys working in these globalized multi-media store chains must be really stressed...
    LOL...

Is customer service in Italy poorer than that in Germany?
    (although I now remember what initially made me decide against it: You can't charge the battery without removing it from the camera and placing it into the special battery charger cradle. That's somwehat limiting, but I guess I'll have to live with that).
    Actually, I counted this as a plus.

Reason: One doesn't need the camera to charge the batteries . So, people can continue using the camera (with a spare battery), while the other one is being charged.
    LOL!

Enjoy your vacations... I'm looking forward to seeing the photos too...
    Last edited by Siddhartha; June 4th, 2006 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added note on IS...

Okay. Here is me:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay Vijay
    Okay. Here is me:
    Okay. You are looking good.

One more...

Thanks Sid.

One more if you all can digest

@Ovidiu and sreehari: Please bear with the arachnophobes possibly visiting this thread...

// I know what I'm talking about - I've grown up with a sister like that. Seeing the pictures you've posted would probably be sufficient for her to stay away from the computer for a month or so...
    Oh, sorry!
    However I have to point that tarantula is absolutelly non-dangerous for humans.
    The biggest think that it can eat is the mouse... Well, this can be a good reason to keep it away from your computer, but only when it's hungry.
    Last edited by ovidiucucu; June 4th, 2006 at 06:36 AM.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Great pictures Ajay. Especially in the last one, you look like a star from Bollywood.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Great pictures Ajay. Especially in the last one, you look like a star from Bollywood.
    Like Raj Kapoor who delighted me when I was a child. Although the mustache is missing...
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Page 102 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104105112152 ... LastLast