Hi All,

I have a VC++ project that I want to be able to burn to CD and install on any PC with Win XP regardless of whether they have the .NET Framework or not.

I have created a deployment .vdproj project and downloaded the bootstrapping sample & edited the settings.ini file as per Microsoft

Code:
[Bootstrap]
Msi=App.NET.msi
'LanguageDirectory=
ProductName= AppNet 
'DialogText=
CaptionText=AppNet
ErrorCaptionText= Error
FxInstallerPath=AppFolder\
On a memory stick I put - settings.ini, setup.exe, AppNet.msi and a folder called AppFolder with DotNetFx.exe in it.

I installed AppNet.msi on a second machine which does not have .NET Framework. The App installed but uder Add/Remove programs I do not see that .NET Framework has been installed. Also the installation was very quick. I presume the .NET Framework is not installed as it is not listed.

Also when I double-click the AppNet.exe I get an error about MFC71U.dll is missing. This exists and has been created by the installer but it is in a different folder. Why is this? I *think* this is because the app.exe goes into the folder specified in the .vdproj?

Finally there are other files I want to ship with my exe - eg an access database of logon users/passwords etc. Can I do this with Microsoft Installer or do I need to buy InstallShield or something?

Sorry there are a lot of questions here - if you can answer any I will be very grateful. As you might have guessed I'm a novice to distributing .NET apps (just ported from VC++ 6.0) and Microsoft Installer.

Thanks!