dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 90

Thread: did you know that...

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Africa
    Posts
    11,267

    Re: did you know that...

    Quote Originally Posted by Melian
    Isn't it true that the can opener was invented about 10 years before the can was invented?
    No, here's why..

    Cans were opened with a hammer and chisel before the advent of can openers. The tin cannister, or can, was invented in 1810 by a Londoner, Peter Durand. The year before, French confectioner, Nicolas Appert, had introduced the method of canning food (as it became known) by sealing the food tightly inside a glass bottle or jar and then heating it. He could not explain why the food stayed fresh but his bright idea won him the 12,000-francs prize that Napoleon offered in 1795 for preserving food. Durand supplied the Royal Navy with canned heat-preserved food while Appert would help Napoleon's army march on its stomach.

    Tin canning was not widely adopted until 1846, when a method was invented to increase can production from 6 in an hour to 60. Still, there were no can openers yet and the products labels would read: "cut around on the top near to outer edge with a chisel and hammer."

    Did you know that..
    The guy on the ten-dollar bill was shot and killed by a vice president

    The guy on the US ten-dollar bill is, of course, Alexander Hamilton and he was killed in a duel by Vice President Aaron Burr.

    Hamilton was a revolutionary war hero and leading architect of the new American government. He co-authored the Federalist Papers, considered one of the most important contributions to American political thought. As Washington's right-hand man and the first US Secretary of the Treasury, he formulated an economic policy that got the then-new nation on its feet.

    Aaron Burr was a colonel in the Continental Army and briefly served - as Hamilton did - with Washington at Valley Forge. In the election of 1800, he was in a deadlock with Thomas Jefferson for the presidency, with 73 votes each. The election went to the House of Representatives to be decided. There Federalist votes kept the election deadlocked until the 36th ballot, when Hamilton's influence gave the presidency to Jefferson. Burr, a Republican, became vice president.

    Many at the time thought that the political mudslinging of Burr by Hamilton may have cost him the election. The animosity between the two men would continue until July 1804 when Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel, and as was customary, was accepted.

    The fateful day came on July 11, 1804 at Weehawken, New Jersey. Vice President Aaron Burr and former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton faced off, and Hamilton was mortally wounded. He was dragged from the duelling area and died the next day. While the nation mourned, Burr returned to complete his term as vice president but his success in the duel proved to be to his detriment. There was some talk of murder charges being brought against him, but as the rules of the duel were followed, no indictment was carried forward. He would later go on to be charged for treason for his ill-fated attempt to establish his own empire in the South.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Timisoara, Romania
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: did you know that...

    Interestng facts...

    Did you know that... that in every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere, or there is something said about Superman?

    (that crazy Jerry Seinfeld )
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

    I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    muahaha
    Posts
    84

    Re: did you know that...

    DID YOU KNOW THAT I AM IN CHARGE OF YOUR WEBSITE?

    and you might know that not all birds sing?...

    The Antpitta avis canis Ridgley is a bird that looks like a stuffed duck on stilts and barks like a dog. The bird was discovered by ornithologist Robert S. Ridgley in the Andes in Ecuador in June 1998.

    and you did know or didn't know that there also are dogs that do not bark!...
    The basenji, smallish dog with a silky copper coat, does not bark. Instead, it yodels when it get excited. Wild dogs like the African Wild Dog also do not bark.

    ...???...
    ...don't blame me...when I smell nicc 'o' tyne...
    ...friends are like bras: close to your heart and there for support..


  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Africa
    Posts
    11,267

    Re: did you know that...

    Did You Know That..

    A Cow Has 4 Stomachs and No Upper Front Teeth

    Although a cow has no upper front teeth, it grazes up to 8 hours a day, taking in about 45 kg (100 lb) of feed and the equivalent of a bath tub full of water. A healthy cow gives about 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.

    A cow has four stomachs: the rumen, reticulum, omasum and abomasum. The rumen is the largest stomach and acts as a fermentation chamber. The abomasum is last of the four and is comparable in both structure and function to the human stomach.

    With all its grazing and many stomachs, it is no wonder that cows are one of the main contributors to the hole in the ozone layer. Apart from CFC, the biggest culprit is hydrocarbon emissions from cars and cows. Yes, cows! Cows release some 100 million tons of hydrocarbon annually - by releasing gas. To give you an idea of how much gas a cow emits: if the gas of 10 cows could be captured, it would provide heating for a small house for a year.

    But unlike what you think, cows release hydrocarbon mostly by burping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Timisoara, Romania
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: did you know that...

    A healthy cow gives about 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.
    That's a great piece of information.

    Did you know that... 23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks?
    Last edited by cilu; September 8th, 2005 at 04:09 AM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

    I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    864

    Re: did you know that...

    Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT
    No, here's why..


    Did you know that..
    The guy on the ten-dollar bill was shot and killed by a vice president

    The guy on the US ten-dollar bill is, of course, Alexander Hamilton and he was killed in a duel by Vice President Aaron Burr.

    Hamilton was a revolutionary war hero and leading architect of the new American government. He co-authored the Federalist Papers, considered one of the most important contributions to American political thought. As Washington's right-hand man and the first US Secretary of the Treasury, he formulated an economic policy that got the then-new nation on its feet.

    Aaron Burr was a colonel in the Continental Army and briefly served - as Hamilton did - with Washington at Valley Forge. In the election of 1800, he was in a deadlock with Thomas Jefferson for the presidency, with 73 votes each. The election went to the House of Representatives to be decided. There Federalist votes kept the election deadlocked until the 36th ballot, when Hamilton's influence gave the presidency to Jefferson. Burr, a Republican, became vice president.

    Many at the time thought that the political mudslinging of Burr by Hamilton may have cost him the election. The animosity between the two men would continue until July 1804 when Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel, and as was customary, was accepted.

    The fateful day came on July 11, 1804 at Weehawken, New Jersey. Vice President Aaron Burr and former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton faced off, and Hamilton was mortally wounded. He was dragged from the duelling area and died the next day. While the nation mourned, Burr returned to complete his term as vice president but his success in the duel proved to be to his detriment. There was some talk of murder charges being brought against him, but as the rules of the duel were followed, no indictment was carried forward. He would later go on to be charged for treason for his ill-fated attempt to establish his own empire in the South.
    There Federalist votes kept the election deadlocked until the 36th ballot, when Hamilton's influence gave the presidency to Jefferson. Burr, a Republican, became vice president.
    Did you know that the Republican party wasn't founded until the 1850's?
    Therefore, in 1804 Burr couldn't have been a republican.
    The first official Republican meeting took place on July 6th, 1854 in Jackson, Michigan. The name "Republican" was chosen because it alluded to equality and reminded individuals of Thomas Jefferson's Democratic-Republican Party
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

    Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Africa
    Posts
    11,267

    Re: did you know that...

    I disagree, here's why

    Did you know:
    The only guy without a beard in ZZTOP surname (last name) is Beard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Timisoara, Romania
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: did you know that...

    A very interesting puzzle here. I also thought that the republican and democrat parties in US were created in the mid 19th century.
    History of Republican Party
    Republican Party
    So, how could Burr be a Republican?!

    Did you know that... like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

    I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    148

    Re: did you know that...

    Quote from wikipedia:
    ...the [Republican] Party is not to be confused with the Democratic-Republican party of Thomas Jefferson or the National Republican Party of Henry Clay...However, During Jefferson's presidency, he was called a "Republican", but the reference was to the party now known as the Democratic-Republican Party. That party later split into the Democratic Party and the Whig Party. The latter was formed in the winter of 1833-1834 but was defunct by the time of the American Civil War.
    Interesting explanation of how the confusion can occur.

    Did you know the American political system is designed (intentionally or unintentionally is up for debate) to function effectively as a two-party system?

    A third (or even a fourth) party can and will exist from time to time but eventually one or more parties will fail or lose any significant clout until only two parties remain on the national level. State politics work a little differently allowing for multiple parties.
    Death is life's special way of telling you you're fired.

    For I do not seek to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand. For I believe this: unless I believe, I will not understand. - Anselm of Canterbury (10331109)

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    864

    Re: did you know that...

    Did you know that it is a bad idea to try and cheer up a member of a motorcycle gang with a hand puppet?

    Did you know that is, also, a bad idea to try and cheer up a member of a motorcycle gang by dressing up as a mime.

    Did you know that it is a bad idea to wear a ski mask to the policemen's ball?

    Did you know that it is a bad idea to try to bumper ski behind a drag racing car?
    Last edited by Tom Frohman; September 8th, 2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

    Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    864

    Re: did you know that...

    Did you know that Julius Caesar's first name was Gaius?

    Did you know that if a person moved only as fast as a snail, it would take a long time to get anywhere?
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

    Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Timisoara, Romania
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: did you know that...

    Did you know that if a person moved only as fast as a snail, it would take a long time to get anywhere?
    Noooo...

    Did you know that it's physically impossible for pigs to look up in the sky?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

    I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    22

    Re: did you know that...

    Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Did you know that... like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different?

    Isn't it like for every single 'bodyprint'?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Africa
    Posts
    11,267

    Re: did you know that...

    Quote Originally Posted by NatThoelecke
    the [Republican] Party is not to be confused with the Democratic-Republican party of Thomas Jefferson or the National Republican Party of Henry Clay...However, During Jefferson's presidency, he was called a "Republican", but the reference was to the party now known as the Democratic-Republican Party. That party later split into the Democratic Party and the Whig Party. The latter was formed in the winter of 1833-1834 but was defunct by the time of the American Civil War. .
    Now I'm starting to get the picture!

    Did You Know..
    The festival of love used to be celebrated on February 15th, not 14th


    Valentine's Day originates from the ancient Roman fertility festival of Lupercalia, which was celebrated on 15 February in honour of the gods Lupercus and Faunus, as well as the legendary founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. During the festival, young men would draw the names of women from a box, and each couple would be paired until next year's celebration. Often they would fall in love and marry.

    At around 270AD Rome was facing battles and civil uprising. The men were not keen to join the army. Emperor Claudius II believed that the men did not want to leave their loved ones and summarily cancelled all marriages and engagements. Two priests, Valentine and Marius, disobeyed the decree and secretly performed marriage ceremonies. Valentine was caught on 14 February and dragged to jail. Later in the day he was clubbed to death and beheaded. It is said that, before his execution, Valentine himself had fallen in love with the jailer's daughter. He signed his final note to her, "From your Valentine."

    Valentine's Day
    In 391AD, Emperor Theodosius I declared Christianity as the official religion of the Rome. The fertility festival was celebrated until 496AD when Pope Gelasius replaced it with a similar celebration. For patron saint of the celebration, he chose the "lovers" saint, St Valentine. He also moved the date of the celebration from the 15 February to the date of St Valentine's death, 14 February. Through the centuries, Valentines Day became to be remembered more as the festival of love instead of a religious day. In 1969 it was dropped from the Roman Catholic calendar as a designated feast day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Timisoara, Romania
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: did you know that...

    Did you know that Christmas is celebrated on the 25th of December because that was the day when the romans celebrated Sol Invinctus (The Invincible Sun), the most important celebration for them? When Constantine the Great converted to Christianity to keep the empire a piece, they decided to hybridize the Christian dogma with a set of believes and customs taken from the sun-god cult. One of the decisions was to convert that date and celebration into a Christian celebration, the birth of the son of God, so that the followers of Sol Invinctus turn easier to Christianity.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

    I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Mobile Development Center


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width




On-Demand Webinars (sponsored)