CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Post World of Warcraft Project

Introduction

There are not many active world of warcraft server emulator's, and even less are opensource and thus free of charge. The three active players at the moment are WoWWoW, ludmilla and wowemu. But there are a lot of dead projects, for example wowd, that uses mysql as it's database instead of textfiles.

WoWD

Because it would be a shame to waste the already good source code of wowd I would like to start a project to continue and speed up the development of the emulator. To realize this I need the help of some talented C++ programmers that are willing to spend some of their free time into developing this emulator. I want to set up this team by the flowing scheme, There is one project leader that will coordinate what is going to developed, in addition provide a development server, tools and manage the website.

Database

A server can't function without a proper database, WDDG is developing a new emulator so we can count them out. Blackstorm's website has been offline for sometime now... Because of this events we will also need people working on the database. The work will include creature file, spwampoints and quests.

Donations

As the community supporting the project will grow so will the donations that are given. To support the programmers that are working on the project they will get a share of the total donations that corresponds the amount of work that developer has done on the emulator.

Example on donation's:
    Code:
    Total Donated: 160,- euro
    Active programmers: 4
    inactive programmers: 2

programmers that developed

complex new functions: 2 (1.40)
    simple new functions:  1 (0.85)
    fixed major bugs:      0 (1.10)
    fixed small bugs:      1 (0.65)

nothing:               2

total donated / Active programmers = share
    share * function muliplyer = pay

160/4 = 40

fixed small bugs
    40 * 0.65 = 26

Complex function pay
    40 * 1.40 = 56
    End

I want to setup up this team, and will function as team leader. I will setup the website and program supportive php scripts to create account's and manage the server. In total the team is going to need 6-8 Programmers that will work actively on developing the source code and 2-4 that work on converting the current wddg database to a format that the emulator can read.

I was unsure where I should my topic, hopefully I posted it in the correct section
    Last edited by CodeNeos; November 16th, 2005 at 01:02 PM.

Re: World of Warcraft Project

[ moved thread ]
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

I have developet recently on a project that was called NeRS. It was a multi functional netserver for rolle play games, but it got canceled until our project leader noticed that it is an illegal action to emulate and hihack the network engines of patented roleplaygame servers. If you still want to go on, you should enable private messaging or emailing so interests can contact you.
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

Emailing and private messaging has been enabled, anyone that is interested please contact me.

wowdaemon or wowd for short is not dead , see http://wowd.org
    Last edited by mancini; November 3rd, 2005 at 10:50 PM.

My friend was over the other day, and I showed him http://www.exploitsrus.com/wow.html It is a site with cheats, bugs, dupes, etc for world of warcraft. He told me it was against the rules for wow to do this. Is this true? I am used to cheating on video games for my whole life, so I was sort of shocked to hear this.

Exclamation World of Warcraft Project still needs devs!

We are still looking for members! If anyone has some c++ and wow gaming experience please contact me trough Mail! (not PM)

We have made some progress on the development and also have resources needed for programming a World of Warcraft server, packet documentation, etc. Our current goal is to fully support the 1.8.0 World of Warcraft client and have support for quests.

We also have good contacts with other server developers and there is a CVS server setup. We are working on a decent website and forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mancini
    wowdaemon or wowd for short is not dead , see http://wowd.org
    Has nothing to do with the WoWD server, second of all wowd and wowdeamon are different things. One server is written in C# (wowdeamon) the other in c++ (wowd).

Regards
    Neos,
    Last edited by CodeNeos; November 16th, 2005 at 01:01 PM.

first off see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon for the software related meaning of the word , namely a background server (ftpd,ircd,httpd) etc , and it is rooted in the word demon

deamon is just a typo and has no meaning whatsoever

wowdaemon or wowd for short is a very solid C++ written game server , on which many are now based on

wowdaemon with no short name it is a C# written game server from the guys at gotwow and it is basically the english version of the russian ewow ,

as for WoWDeamon , it is indeed a plan for a C# game server by some catvir guy , but it is utterly irellevant , see http://wowarcraft.org/emus.html to polish up on your wow emu history

heh ,you can not ask for consistency in something as trivial as the naming scheme from a bunch of gamers i guess

as for http://wowd.org it has very much to do with this yes you will see , after all a server is a server is a server , and it needs a db ,yes
    Last edited by mancini; November 18th, 2005 at 08:41 PM.

Ok, sorry for the typo. But you know what i mean!

Even if wowd is still being developed by the ORIGINAL developers, which I highly doubt, then it still isn't a crime to also develop the server. And by the original developers I don't mean mangos ore some other group.

Then again I didn't open this topic for people to tell me that they still believe that wowd isn't dead! Personally I don't care if wowd is completely dead or still being developed in silence! And I know what daemon means, but thanks for the link (and also the link to your website).

If you don't have anything else to do then tell us that wowd isn't dead then please don't post it here!

Lightbulb Re: World of Warcraft Project

I has been a while since i posted here, but we are still looking for Good C++ +programmers. Currently we have integrated a Perl scripting support and got quest working for 70%. 1.8.x support was added to the server and the Guards now attack hostile creatures.

We also added the ability for players to trade with each other, and to duel.

These are just a few of the new features that are included in the source!

But still the development isn't progressing as smooth as hoped mainly because of the lack of manpower. Therefor i was hoping to find 2 good programmers with experience in World of Warcraft, we are also looking for someone that can optimize the code for usages under nix and to optimize the database structures.

If you have no experience in programming c++ but would still like to help the development, have access to an official blizzard World of Warcraft account (or be able to write Perl)! Then you can be a valid asset to our team by supporting the developers with valuable information about the blizzard servers.

PS. A happy new year to all of you!

I can be contacted trough mail!

Wow, you guys are absolutely clueless when it comes to wow related articles aren't you!

WoWD and WoWdaemon are 2 entirely different projects. They have nothing to do with each other. And there are more than the 3 projects you mentioned earlier. Ludmilla is dead, but has been picked up by team pandora. ludmilla was based on old wowd source and had python added to it. WoWd and WoWDaemon both originate from old team python scripts. Team python scripts were based on the old septimus server which was based of the run uo server source code. WoWD is also not dead, just under ground. Ther is also MaNGOS wich is a continuation of the wowd code, but is closely related to Ludmilla. There is also ewow which is coded in c#. Now, there is also decompiled wowwow code which has been reconstructed and is available as runwow. so there are many many projects alive.

Also, don't be a fag and ask for money you greedy *****.

Goto: blizzhackers.ws <--- where all the info is.

First of all, I know my facts well! I know all the emulators that are being developed and have been in the community for a long time (gotwow). I know the blizzhackers.ws, but I don't like the site!

Secondly there are 2 blizzhackers at the moment and there are about 6 development forums about World of Warcraft Servers.

Thirdly you seem to have forgotten to read the data when this topic was started (I know blizzahcakers.ws people normally post without thinking or reading)! Back then ludmilla was still private (if it even existed), and mangos just started. At the time 1.6.0 was the mainstream client for private servers.

Since the wowemu project died there have been many projects been started, most of them concentrate on the wowd source tree (meaning ludmilla and wowd 0.9 branch). Some teams revived old projects like stormcraft, and some decided to merge them (wowd merged with stormcraft).

And then of cours there are people that try to reverse engineer the wowemu server, and just read that they are currently at 90%.

I conclude that you are absolutely clueless when it comes to reading forum topic's and post with out even looking at a data and time. And guess what, the D in wowD stands for Daemon! As you might have noticed (although i doubt you even read the reply's on this topic) that there already was a discussion about wowd/wowdaemon!

PS: I am not interested in making money like the original wowemu developer (wad). And stop advertising for a website like blizzhackers.WS which consists for 80% of garbage (the search feature doesn't even work!).
    Last edited by CodeNeos; January 26th, 2006 at 01:17 PM.

For all your monkey's.
    There are still a lot of teams playing around with WoW Emulators.
    You can continoue your work at http://mmorpg.shockerz.net/ or http://www.shockerz.net/mmorpg/ .

Sorry for thread necromancy ... but i'm working on backporting Mangoszero for patch 1.4 and i need the client packages...thereby if some1 has a source of 1.4 emu or just the plain packages i'd be grateful...pm me