CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Why so slow?

Why so slow?

Using VS.Net2003. I create a new project based on "Windows Forms Application (.NET)" I build the project. When I run the app, it takes 25 seconds for the form to appear! That is brutally slow for me... I am running a Dell Inspiron 2GHZ, 1 GB RAM and 13GB of free disk space. More particulars:
    VS.Net 2003 v. 7.1.3088
    .Net Framework v. 1.1.4322 SP1
    I am also using Whole Tomato.

Is it this slow for everyone, or am I doing something horribly wrong.

thanx

Re: Why so slow?

Never encountered such problem. What kind of application do you have? Does it do something (read some input data, process some data, etc.) before displaying?

Shooting in the dark, try to restart Windows and see if it happens again. BTW, what OS are you running? That's more important than hardware configuration...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Are you running anti-virus software ? Have you VNC installed on your machine ?

An out-of-date anti-virus (i.e. one which isn't .NET aware) can slow the machine down.

VNC is a horrible application and I wouldn't go anywhere near it - it causes way too many problems. If you're running VNC then remove it.

I seriously suspect it's not your machine, but one of the applications which you've got installed on it which is causing the problem.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

Thanx for the help all. I still have the problem, though. I uninstalled my NetScreen VNC. I also turned off AVG.
    Let me give more details. The app that I am running is just the default form that was created automatically. There are no controls on the form.

As an experiment, I created a C# app with just one form and no controls. This app/window comes up immediately, no delay like the managed C++ app does.

I am running XP Pro with SP2.

TIA

One more thing I discovered is that if I use explorer and find the exe under the debug directory and double-click on it, the app comes up instantaneously. So, it is not the app, it must be the IDE/debugger....

Quote Originally Posted by roujesky
    One more thing I discovered is that if I use explorer and find the exe under the debug directory and double-click on it, the app comes up instantaneously. So, it is not the app, it must be the IDE/debugger....
    Well, if when you run in debugger look into the output window and see if it continues to load DLLs for those 20-25 seconds before displaying the main form. Well, I'm working one a MFC project right now that takes about 5-6 seconds to display because of the DLLs loaded. But 20-25 seconds seems a little bit too much for that.

BTW are you working with some database in that app?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Yes, the IDE debugger is VERY slow to start up managed projects. 20-25 seconds on a 2GHz doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.

If you do Ctrl+F5 that runs the application without debug output and it starts much faster.

This is one of the reasons why I don't use VC++.NET to do .NET development anymore : I use C# and P/Invoke into managed code instead.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.