dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: SiteRecruit variables might be spyware or worse

SiteRecruit variables might be spyware or worse

I searched my code for samples containing "domain"; I did this for my own purposes to search my own code. I unintentionally included my temporary internet cache. Note that the cache might be an old cache.

My search found a broker.js script in the cache which has code that has URLs beginning with:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security
    And similar things. It might be an innocent redirection script or doing something that is innocent. However it uses variables with "SiteRecruit" as a prefix, such as "SiteRecruit_Globals". At the beginning of the script is a comment that has "Copyright 2005 SurveySite".

I searched the internet for "SiteRecruit_Globals" and found a couple of (different) copies of a broker.js script. They are in SIENER INFORMATIQUE, which is a computer hardware sales site that is not in English.

I can't determine whether this is all innocent and such. If anyone wants to analyze this further, I will try to provide whatever I can to help.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

Re: SiteRecruit variables might be spyware or worse

I come across some wierd stuff ever since I changed my browser settings to block all cookies & ask me first. THe third party cookies are usually the most interesting ones, however I'm not entirely sure how they utilise their cookies through the browser at this point in time...
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

Thank you, Deniz, but most of us know that some cookies are spyware. If you don't use a utility such as Ad-Aware then you sure should.

For users of IE, look at the "Privacy" tab of the Internet Options. Click on the "Sites" button. You can put domain names and IP addresses of sites you want to override your default cookie setting for.

If you use Ad-Aware then for every cookie it deletes, add the domain (if possible) to your list of domains and specify it to be blocked. Ad-Aware does not block the cookies; it simply deletes cookies when it is executed. You can use the IE privacy settings to block the cookies from being stored.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs
    Ad-Aware does not block the cookies; it simply deletes cookies when it is executed.
    Actually, if you're willing to spend the twenty bucks to get the professional version of Ad-Aware you can configure it to block cookies and malicious scripts that you don't want. It will also actively monitor your computer activity and prompt you for approval of any registry changes or running of potentially dangerous scripts, otherwise it will block them.
    Death is life's special way of telling you you're fired.

For I do not seek to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand. For I believe this: unless I believe, I will not understand. - Anselm of Canterbury (10331109)

Thank you for that about Ad-Aware. I think it is a good idea to pay for the shareware type software we use and Ad-Aware is something I use. When I have the money, I will purchase the software I use. I appreciate the vendor of Ad-Aware providing it for free as they do.

My loyalty to a shareware vendor is not so strong when they provide a crippled version for free. They are free to do that and I am free to be less loyal. When it is time for me to purchase anti-spyware software, I will consider all possibilities. I hope, though, it helps others to know that the purchased version of Ad-Aware has more capabilities.

My solution seems to work quite well for now. I might even write my own utility. I don't know how the Microsoft anti-spyware tool works and if it will be free.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs
    I don't know how the Microsoft anti-spyware tool works and if it will be free.
    It's free and it works, kind of. It would be better to stick with the Ad-Aware. Even the free version is more robust than Microsoft's anti-spyware tool, in my opinion.
    Death is life's special way of telling you you're fired.

For I do not seek to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand. For I believe this: unless I believe, I will not understand. - Anselm of Canterbury (10331109)