CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Metro Video App

Metro Video App

I created a program that catalogs all my movies. And when I want to watch I can make a list of movies to play and they shell to the movie player I have selected. It can be Windows Media Player, VLC Player, etc... Any player I want as long as I have the player. I use the command in Visual Basic 6 as follows: Rtn=Shell("C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe " & chr(34) & "C:\Movies\Hello Dolly.avi" & chr(34),vbnormal) This will play the movie "Hello Dolly" from the Windows Media Player. I have Windows 8. They gave me Metro Video Player with the machine. I am at a lost on how to run an app with the movie from the desktop. I am able to run the Video App, but without the movie. Here's what I got so far: Rtn=Shell("C:\Windows\System32\Cmd.exe /c start microsoftvideo: && exit" [NOT SURE WHAT I DO HERE???], vbnormal) Does anyone have any ideas? Everything I have tried doesn't work. All that happens is that I'm placed on Metro Xbox Video App without the movie playing..,

Re: Metro Video App

Video Player is located in a folder that you are not permitted to access. Here, it opens XBOX Video, but I can't access that folder to get properties. Try Start movie.avi
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Re: Metro Video App

I think I have been there. There is a way to get access. But when I look there, there were no .ink in other words I couldn't figure out what the heck Microsoft did. However I know there is an OPEN WITH command that has a link to Xbox Video Player. Right click the movie and select "Open With" and then select "Video". This will play that movie under xbox Video Player. I did try Start Movie.avi, was only placed into xbox video without the movie playing.