CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ice Breaker #11: What makes you decide that something is important in your life?

Okay, here's another question for everyone:

What makes you decide that something is important in your life?
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Re: Ice Breaker #11: What makes you decide that something is important in your life?

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    Okay, here's another question for everyone:

Percent alcohol by volume?

Re: Ice Breaker #11: What makes you decide that something is important in your life?

Money $$$

David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

No kidding...
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Well, something that definitely help me consider things are:
    Security
    Past experiences

Meaning, my family, job, and studies offer me security (surety) So they are important to me, past experiences lead me towards girlfriends - I know what happened, so, they are now not important to me

Good point, Hannes.

The Love of God - which can overcome all trials and tribulations.

The word of God from the scripture says:

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.(2Cornithians 12:9)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.(Psalm 23:4)

With the life experience, as a child of God, i can strongly testify it
    Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will lift you up

Alpha Vijayan

Quote Originally Posted by alpha
    The Love of God - which can overcome all trials and tribulations.

The word of God from the scripture says:

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.(2Cornithians 12:9)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.(Psalm 23:4)

With the life experience, as a child of God, i can strongly testify it
    Don't forget that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Phillipens 4:13)

Don't you think that's rather a general question? I find it hard to aswer. It depends. Probably things that bring me confort, joy and security have greater chances to be considered important.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

i agree with cilu also depends on what you are refering to ? as important ..? deciding on one thin is rather difficult as in life what future holds no one knows, and as time passes priorities changes, and hence their importance. well just my openion
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

Thanks Cilu for the verse

In fact i wanted to quote one more verse:
    I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.(Hebrwes 13:5)
    I was not able to recollect the verse number while posting.
    Now i referred it.
    Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will lift you up

Alpha Vijayan

True, it is a general question.

For me, generally speaking... anything that has a profound effect in my future.. those things are what I would consider important in my life.

This is a very general question. Bad things can be important, good things can be important. Past things, future things, events, actions, history, drop-down comboboxes everything is important. Everything will play a part in the story of life.

So I guess I wouldn't say I decide what makes something important, rather everything that affects us, I'd say is important.
    Even if everybody spoke the same language, nobody would be speaking the same language.

--Daniel

For me it's how does it affect my life.. Things/People that lift me, make life (and the important things in life) easier, Stand by me..

If it has a large positive effect on my life it is very important...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

As Marius said: When asked that way, it's indeed a very general question. But I guess I know what you mean (actually, you clarified it somewhat later on).

Well, my answer is that you never (or only very rarely) know in advance. If you did, all decisions would be easy, and life would probably be pretty boring...

Tiny little events which influence your life / future (to the good or to the bad) keep happening all the time - some have very little effect, some have significant impact, and yet some prove to be true turning points in your life. However, you usually only find out during the aftermath (sometimes only years later) that something that looked like an unconspicious little detail at first (like a phone call received / a particular seat taken on a train / a specific link clicked in a Google serch result list instead of another) has actually been the single causal event that turned your life upside down.

// Two movies come to mind which have their storyline based on this very subject: "Run Lola Run" (one of the few German / European productions that made it into the US cinemas), and "Sliding Doors".

Quote Originally Posted by Cherish
    Everything in my life is important to me. Punkt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast