CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: Meaning of your username!

CILU is my nickname since I was 11. It comes from my name, Marius Bancila. In the 5th grade we where studing euglena vidiris, an unicellular organism, that uses these cilia (which in Romanian are called CIL, singular) to move. Somebody realized that it was part of my name, and called me CILU, which is some sort of THE CIL(IA). Soon, everybody start calling me like this, and I liked it, and so I remained known until I went to college. Now, only few people call me like this, but I still use my nickname for IDs.

My username is from a book (can't remember the name though) by JR Tolkein. (sp?)
    It's from Silmarillion, my favorite book. J.R.R. Tolkien, indeed.
    Melian was the name of a Maia who served both Vána and Estë; she dwelt long in Lórien, tending the trees that flower in the gardens of Irmo, ere she came to Middle-earth. Nightingales sang about her wherever she went.
    Melian was a Maia, of the race of the Valar. She dwelt in the gardens of Lórien, and among all his people there were none more beautiful than Melian, nor more wise, nor more skilled in songs of enchantment. It is told that the Valar would leave their works, and the birds of Valinor their mirth, that the bells of Valmar were silent and the fountains ceased to flow, when at the mingling of the lights Melian sang in Lórien. Nightingales went always with her, and she taught them their song; and she loved the deep shadows of the great trees. She was akin before the World was made to Yavanna herself; and in that time when the Quendi awoke beside the waters of Cuiviénen she departed from Valinor and came to the Hither Lands, and there she filled the silence of Middle-earth before the dawn with her voice and the voices of her birds.
    I just LOVE this book.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Thumbs up Re: Meaning of your username!

Quote Originally Posted by Ejaz
    So what? There are alot of things about other heros that I don't have. Atleast with him, I have 3 things in common
    C'mon I dont believe this...Ejaz not in love? Can't be...there must be one beauty in your place who does smoke like you do...!! And you taking away all the gals of your class ... nothing makes sense....Atleast I dont agree to the first two...the 3rd one (about that big a salary ..ok - I agree about that but I am sure since you are in Lahore you must be earning that much in terms of your currency, if not dollars, i.e. rupees, I guess...So in a way I dont agree to any of the 3 points raised by Ajay Vijay...Kudos Ejaz...Ejaz is in love...we want some confessions...!!!!

Well... Most people think my nickname comes from the Offspring song "no hero"... But it's completly wrong, even my first rock album was from the Offspring though. (believe it or not).

Moreover it's from a conversation I had with one of my best friends several years back... The main topic of the conversation has gone out of my mind but I remember some words like "you ain't no hero, who can get [...]". This sentence has been so obtrusive that I couldn't refuse to make it my id.

I use it everywhere. On forums, gaming, messengers, even sometimes in email accounts.

So here I am, your local anti-hero
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

Quote Originally Posted by Ejaz
    ... Infact I used to write it as Aijaz till I was in my 5th class, but my class teacher in 6th, first wrote my name as Ejaz in the attendence register. Since then, I write it as Ejaz (and can go in a fist fight, if someone don't write it as Ejaz ).
    I once got detention from a teacher who spelt my name wrong. I corrected her, and she got into a big argument - "i'm dutch" she said "and the correct dutch spelling for your name" (my surname is dutch) "does not have a 'Y' in it". "Yes", I explained, "but that doesn't make you correct - my name does have a 'Y' in it.". She thought I was taking the micky and sent me to detention.

The school gave me a lovely formal apology over the incident, although she never admitted that she was wrong.

My nic is composed as follows:

Pinky... a nickname a friend of mine gave to me when her and I met...
    See i really like the "Pinky and the Brain" cartoons, and so she decided that I couldn't very well be "Brain" as that would require at least SOME level of intelligence, and so they christianed me "Pinky" instead.

98 because "Pinky" is usually taken... stems from my student no. back in university... no real significant meaning... just a random tag onto the end to make it unique.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb
    my parents were hippies.
    Same here

Deniz is my real name, it's Turkish and means 'sea'.

Everyone I know pronounces it as they would pronounce 'Dennis' but having my name written down is always a drama.
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

when I was born, my parents had a big time to name me as I was so ugly, dumb, stoopid, cripple, sick and et cetra...so, they think, "what the heck we're gonna name him"...then, they got an idea...they named me : whaTHell...

after some times..a man from the government came to pay a visit..."you can't named him like that..and your signature goes against the law", the man said...so my parents asked him, "why we have to change his name...he deserved that name...but if you insisted, how?"..."leave it to me", then the man left with my new name written on a piece of paper by my parents....

after a couple of day, the child's name had been changed to mrRee...but it's not a mystery anymore after many of them noticed that mrRee's former name was whaTHell...

then 5000 amoebas went to a shoping mall...naked...they had been arrested becau...fruit! that was the different story...I'm sorry..............................that's how I became mrRee...the end...

...???...
    ...don't blame me...when I smell nicc 'o' tyne...
    ...friends are like bras: close to your heart and there for support..

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    we want some confessions...!!!!
    Well, honestly speaking, there is nothing to confess. I swear. Don't know why, but it never happens anyway. I did like few in the past, but thats all. In school, I was crazy about basket ball, in college, I started fiddling with computers, and when I look back, sometimes, I tell me myslef "Ejaz...you know what? You are a moran" coz I blew my few chances when I get. I guess Ajay Vijay would still remember about them (don't know which one, but I mentioned them in some thread here).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb
    I once got detention from a teacher who spelt my name wrong. I corrected her, and she got into a big argument - "i'm dutch" she said "and the correct dutch spelling for your name" (my surname is dutch) "does not have a 'Y' in it". "Yes", I explained, "but that doesn't make you correct - my name does have a 'Y' in it.". She thought I was taking the micky and sent me to detention.

The school gave me a lovely formal apology over the incident, although she never admitted that she was wrong.
    I've always struggled with the way people pronounce my surname!
    You see in South Africa we have a few surnames that start with the du prefix
    Mine - du Preez
    Then you also get
    du Plessis
    du Toit

With the last mentioned 2 people pronounce the du as de
    du is pronounced "do"
    So, when teachers called me de Preez instead of "do" Preez I had a fit....

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT
    As you know Hannes is my name
    TheGreat doesn't mean that I'm a great programmer
    I remember reading something about Alexander The Great, and started playing around with my name, so that's where TheGreat comes from, and I think too that it's because everyone always told me that I was a great guy.
    Some people think I have an attitude problem, because of Me thinking I'm soo great, but as I've said - it started with Alexander The Great.

And for changing Nicknames, sometimes, I wish I could, but no.
    As for nicknames at school..............!
    I thought Johannes is your real name...
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    My real name - Abhishek Padmanabh - Where padmanabh stands for Lord Krishna - there is a concept of a lotus coming out of Lord Krishna's navel and so it is....I am from India...people here think that I am from south India...but no I am not...that was some strange last name that my father kept ..and i dont feel bad about it.
    Hmm...your last name will surely prompt to ask if you are from south India, prob Kerala or Tamil Nadu. About Abhishek the only other guy I know is Abhishek Bachan.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

Quote Originally Posted by NoHero
    I thought Johannes is your real name...
    Hi Florian!
    Yes Johannes is my REAL name, but all my friends (the little that I have - outside CG) call me Hannes (which is an abbreviation)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Joy
    Hmm...your last name will surely prompt to ask if you are from south India, prob Kerala or Tamil Nadu. About Abhishek the only other guy I know is Abhishek Bachan.
    Yeah... I get the same question over and over again... I sometimes feel like saying yes rather than explaining them the whole story...

Well, I am not a celebrity as is Abhishek Bachchan...hehe...he is one of my favourites though since he shares the name with me..

And dont tell me you know just this abhishek and me...i had 4 people in my class by the name abhishek..abhishek kumar, abhishek singh, abhishek raj etc etc...and in college..i was the only one in my Royal Department of Civil Engineering but there were quite a few people with this name.. I am happy for one thing though - there is only one "Abhishek Padmanabh" as of now... I havent met anyone else with that name - they either have the first name part or the second name but none with the same combo...I feel good about this...that my name is a unique ID. I won't be the reason forcing people to set Primary Key on person id rather than their names..

//By the way - I am from the state of Laloo...Bihar - now please dont start hating me
    Last edited by exterminator; October 4th, 2005 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT
    Hi Florian!
    Yes Johannes is my REAL name, but all my friends (the little that I have - outside CG) call me Hannes (which is an abbreviation)
    Has it got any relation to Johannerburg? Regards.

Latem = Metal backwards. And I kinda like metal music. makes sence eh? Plus it's pretty unique in that it usually isn't taken in forums or other things. And I kinda like the word, the way it looks and sounds.

Latem
    Being a pessimist is wonderful; you are either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast