CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake

Thumbs up Re: Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Though a virus like H5N1 that causes bird flu can kill hundreds of millions of us.
    Yes..this one is in news too...they are predicting about some mutations in them. And countries are feeling very insecure because they are fearing that all may not co-operate or even be able to find out the cause as was with the case of SARS... but I think it wont be much of a worry since people have started working on it and hope they are successful with the vaccines and precautive/restrictive measures.

About perishing ...yes we could perish anyday..but that is what life is ...unpredictable...however..our intincts keep looking for ways of survival and we shall try till our last breaths to keep living.. Until then ...we should enjoy...and live.

Re: Earthquake

Thanks God Ejaz, Sanju and other CG members are saved. Its really painful to see one after another natural distaser at different parts of earth.

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeshan
    Thanks God Ejaz, Sanju and other CG members are saved. Its really painful to see one after another natural distaser at different parts of earth.
    Thanx guys for your concerns. Indeed it is painful. Everytime I see news, it seems worst then before. At many places it is a total chaos, people out there in cold, with no food, no medicine, to way to get out, along with the deads and for a moment when I put myself in there shoe, it shatters me apart. With all the technology and resources, how helpless we are.

May lord grant rest in piece to those passed away. paitence to those who left behind and strength to us to restore whatever is possible. Amen.

I'm also glad to know that all you guys are safe.... what is happening today?? First there were the hurricanes in the states, now there was an earthquake.. the world is becoming a scary place!

I just saw the news this morning, and it was really scary. I could not imagine the shock and pain of those who are affected.

Let's hope and pray that they will pull this through. And thank God that Ejaz and the others are fine.
    *** Con Tu Adios, Te Llevas, Mi Corazon***

Traveling Encoder...

Hi Guys Thanks for concern about CG members living in Earthquake region.
    I m Fine and due to some reason i was unable to come on forum. As Earthquake is concern, its Worst disaster in Pakistan history. Especially remote areas are badly effected and its really painfull for us.
    Last edited by ABDULNAUMAN; October 11th, 2005 at 01:53 AM.
    A Person who is polite is given goodness and a person who is away from Politeness is away from Goodness.

NAUMAAN

I heard about 20,000. Let's hope there are even less than that.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Well, the actual figure is still not clear. At the places, where resuce teams could reach, they know the details, mostly the urban areas, but there are many rural places, where left no land passage due to land slidding and there is no means of commuincation. What exactely is the situation over there, nobody knows. Perhaps some satellite imagry may help, but I haven't seen any yet.

Good to see you guys are fine, I was on leave an heard the news, and immediately thought of Ejaz.. what a relief to see you are ok.

another terrible disaster, its early Ramadhan month for muslims, hope they would recover from this disaster.
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

Hi guys,

Was on leave, but was in a place where there was news channel ( home ). When I saw the news on saturday around 11 AM in BBC, the first person I thought was Ejaz. Thank God, he and all others are safe. When the pic became clearer I thought about Shuja. That night when a local news channel said 1000 deaths reported, I thought 'Well inflated!'. Next days paper screamed 3000 and counting. Next days paper was 33000+ and on Tue it was 41000 and counting. Whole days I was glued to the TV( mainly BBC ) as the horrific sceens started to unfold. Yesterdays unofficial reports says the figure could go well above 50000. Worse than tsunami? I don't know. Villages totally flattened, worse it has been cut off by the only road that links to the main land! Reports say whole generation of young ones are lost. I think both the governments are doing the best it can. Indian side of Kashmir was around 1000. The stories was overwhelming. Few of my relatives in Delhi experienced the quake. One of my Aunt went up the building to investigate what was going on ( when every one was hurrying down! ) .

Ejaz, were there tremors in Lahore? Shuja, which part of do you live? I hope they are all fine and not badly affected. I love to see people helping each other in the times of trouble, but sadly at times that is not what is happening... Just hopping and praying that the worst fears do not come true.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Joy
    Hi guys,

Was on leave, but was in a place where there was news channel ( home ). When I saw the news on saturday around 11 AM in BBC, the first person I thought was Ejaz. Thank God, he and all others are safe. When the pic became clearer I thought about Shuja. That night when a local news channel said 1000 deaths reported, I thought 'Well inflated!'. Next days paper screamed 3000 and counting. Next days paper was 33000+ and on Tue it was 41000 and counting. Whole days I was glued to the TV( mainly BBC ) as the horrific sceens started to unfold. Yesterdays unofficial reports says the figure could go well above 50000. Worse than tsunami? I don't know. Villages totally flattened, worse it has been cut off by the only road that links to the main land! Reports say whole generation of young ones are lost. I think both the governments are doing the best it can. Indian side of Kashmir was around 1000. The stories was overwhelming. Few of my relatives in Delhi experienced the quake. One of my Aunt went up the building to investigate what was going on ( when every one was hurrying down! ) .

Ejaz, were there tremors in Lahore? Shuja, which part of do you live? I hope they are all fine and not badly affected. I love to see people helping each other in the times of trouble, but sadly at times that is not what is happening... Just hopping and praying that the worst fears do not come true.
    Well at first, everyone was shocked becoz of the fall of the residential building in Islamabad and up till mid day, Islamabad was considered as the most affectee. The tremors of so strong that they were felt from Kabul to Delhi. When discovered the epicenter and people come to know that its Muzafarabad and BalaKot that are more affected places. It was reported that overall 200+ tremors struck overall, but the first one was the major one.

Furthermore, the areas near by these cities (small villages and towns) are totally demolished. A friend was telling me yesterday that the total poplulation of Muzafarabad was around 4,00,000/- to 5,00,000/- and around 70% of the city is turned into debris, with people stuck inside. The actual figures are still doubtful, coz at many places physical access is not possible and whats the condition over there, god knows better. For deads there is nothing to cover the bodies and people used news papers to do so.

Next to that, hard rain struck these areas and the temperature is decreasing fast. With these rains and earlier earthquake, there happened alot of land slidding, which blocked the land passages to these areas. There is no electricity, no telephones, food supplies are running short , no medicines for these people, but only the rubbles and the deads or dying people in them.

Whatever needs to be done, it has to be done fast, before any further casualities. There has been alot of fund raising around here, including the foreign assistance, even people are participating on there own, by hiring private transportation and taking the food/clothes/medicines to these areas personally. But the parts that are on the other side of the mountains are blocked and can only be approached through airway. Lets hope that there stuck any more disasters no more and get these people out of here.
    Last edited by Ejaz; October 12th, 2005 at 02:39 AM.

Well, in new headlines it says earthquake hits Pakistan, India and Afganistan. But nowhere did I see or hear about the situation in Afganistan. Any idea?
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.

What I find strange is that immediately after every natural calamity, irrespective of the country where it happens, the Government in question almost always reports a number of people affected that is about 50 times less than the actual number.

Should our Governments be more aware of the demographic details of population, they could certainly do a better job in creating estimates.

In this case, the earthquake had a record intensity of 7.6 on the Richter Scale, and affected a large area. It doesn't take much common sense to know that every village miles around the epicenter is badly affected.

Then, why do our officials always do such a poor job with the first estimate? (In this case, the one I heard was ~1000 people feared dead.)
    Should even the first estimate have been say 25000 people affected / dead the relief organizations around the world would have done a greatly better job in organizing resources.

When it comes to natural calamities on a grand scale, I would rather prefer a error in estimates on the safer side - something that seems to rarely ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    What I find strange is that immediately after every natural calamity, irrespective of the country where it happens, the Government in question almost always reports a number of people affected that is about 50 times less than the actual number.
    I was thinking about this the other day. The funny thing is that when your government is in war with the some other government, the number of soldiers killed is 50% more that the actual number and the civilans killed is 50% less than the actual number. Or may be in time they think the toll (of soldiers) will rise to their predicted number. (counting the injured as killed)

PS: The word 'your' in the usage 'your government' is said in common, as 'one's government'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast