CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Earthquake

Re: Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    When it comes to natural calamities on a grand scale, I would rather prefer a error in estimates on the safer side - something that seems to rarely ever happen.
    One reason that I feel is telling larger number could create panic so they start with telling lesser and then increase the number. Another thing that I think is the number of casualities are not just because of the earthquake but the events that follow it...like may be, i am not sure, weakened structures that may fail a little bit later...people being stuck up somewhere where the estimation people are not able to reach, resources get cut off and like Ejaz said - lack of transportation of required stuff - food, medicines etc. But yes, they could prepare internally for that - showing on media is different and they could compromise and we could accept the data but lack of preparedness saying we estimated just 1000 and 5 cities is not acceptable at all. They should be prepared and really that is not a big thing to do...rescue missions dont have to be on their toes to run to save people but better planning for sure saves some time and many lives.
    Last edited by exterminator; October 12th, 2005 at 04:53 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Earthquake

And yeah..no news from Afghanistan..may be that area is hilly (is the Taklamakan mountain range not there?), desert or very cold (due to the Siberian cold winds?) and hence rarely populated to affect people and property.

//My geography is aweful..

I feel bad for this region that they would have to suffer a major quake when just months ago they were hit by a killer tsunami.

Unhappy Re: Earthquake

Thats really tough to hear about the earthquake and people dieing out because of this.

Recent is in Pakistan .. expected 80,000 people to be dead. thats bad..
    It takes seconds for rating…that actually compensates the minutes taken for giving answers
    The biggest guru-mantra is: Never share your secrets with anybody. It will destroy you.
    Regards, Be generous->Rate people
    Jayender!!

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jayender.vs
    Thats really tough to hear about the earthquake and people dieing out because of this.

Recent is in Pakistan .. expected 80,000 people to be dead. thats bad..
    These stats at the media are the confirmed death, where as alot of people are still under the debris. It is estimated that about 25,00,000+ people has been affected with it overall and more then 550 hundred after shocks has been experienced by now. The actual casualities will be come to known some time in the future.

Even some areas were discovered in the last 2 days, which were totally demolished and there is no way to get there, except then the animal transportation. The hard rain also strike time to time, which causes more & more land slidding. Its a long prcoess, people have to be evacuated from all these areas, provide shelter (winter is about to start), medicines and food, re-construction is afterwardds. It will take many months (approx. 6 to 12 months, may be more).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123