CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: C++ MFC MSChart

Hybrid View

C++ MFC MSChart

I am a beginner in C++.
    I have tried to implement a chart from a MFC dialog box by using MSChart.
    I didn't find any tutorial to learn how to link data with a MSChart and how to handle basic implementation.
    Is it because MSChart is only used in VB?

Thanks for any help

Kropcheck...

Re: C++ MFC MSChart

Since MSChart is an ActiveX control, it can be used with any language that speaks COM, including C++. Take a look at this article . It should help get you started.
    Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!

Thanks for this quick reply, it is always nice to get support by advance user.

I have tried this tutorial (even before sending my first mail) which seems fairly simple but nevertheless I had a problem to access to the following function:

m_Chart.SetChartData(saRet.Detach());

"SetChartData" doesn't belong to the CChart class when "Refresh" is perfectly recognised.

with -> class CChart : public CWnd
    -> CChart m_Chart;

I went through all the class members/functions of m_Chart but none looks like "SetChartData" or BindData. There is probably more than one way to link data with the chart. I am not used to too much advance variable type but I am opened to any possibilities.

Kropchek

PS: By the way, the problem could come from the version of MSChart: Microsoft Chart 6.0 (SP4) OLEDB with Microsoft Visual Studio C++.NET 2002.

Have you followed the steps to add the chart object to your dialog? The object should be of type CMSChart, not CWnd.
    Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!

I think I did a stupid mistake when I used the "Variable Wizard", by mistake I modified the "Variable type". So by default the Wizard created a CWnd type class instead of CMSChart.

I hope now everything will go OK.
    More news in a few minutes.

Thanks for your patience.

Kropcheck... which thinks that these wizards are great but never trusts them even when no error appears.

Obviously the wizard which create the variable doesn't work properly.
    Each time I create a variable linked to the component ID_MSCHART, I end up with a new class derivated from CWnd and not CMSChart.

I have tried to change manually "class CChart : public CWnd" to "class CChart : public CMSChart" but CMSChart is undefined as class.

Should I import the library as "#include Mschart.h" somewhere or could it be a problem of .dll (which seems strange because I managed to add MSChart in the toolbox of component).

Kropcheck

Did you make the wrapper for the class?

Try to use:

#import <msdatsrc.tlb> no_namespace
    #import <mschrt20.ocx> no_namespace

Then make a member variable for the chart, via Resources Dialog Designer, by assigning the chart to the class wrapper, something like CDMSChart class.

Cheers,