That is right. Also, if you look at Winsock2.h you will find:

Code:

/*
     * Pull in WINDOWS.H if necessary
     */
    #ifndef _INC_WINDOWS
    #include <windows.h>
    #endif /* _INC_WINDOWS */
    So it is meaningless to include windows.h after including winsock2.h. I tried it, and it worked.

Cheers,
    aHAB

Re: this error, why? help me

From my experience (VS 6.0) when I added networking code from another project, the code stayed the same, but the projects' preprocessor definitions for that code file were what the new project wanted them to be. So I clicked Project Settings-> C/C++ -> category preprocessor and deleted "_WINDOWS,WINVER=0x0400,NDEBUG,_WIN32_WINNT=0x400,WIN32,UNICODE,_UNICODE"
    or set them to what they were in the project that c++ file came from.See how many extra errors changing multi-single threading options causes. And got rid of Microsoft Sdk 2003, I had a bad feeling about it, it might be worth a try. winsock2.h should be sourced only from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

First: what was a reason to "answer" to 11 years old thread?

Second:
    Quote Originally Posted by tim5000 View Post
    From my experience (VS 6.0) ... And got rid of Microsoft Sdk 2003, I had a bad feeling about it, it might be worth a try. winsock2.h should be sourced only from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\.
    It means you did something wrong.
    Microsoft SDK from February 2003 worked good for me during almost a decade (when I lastly moved to VS 2010)
    Victor Nijegorodov

I was compiling CSmtp_v2_4_ssl.zip, its an ssl c++ sendmail interface. I have visual studio 8 but I always use vs 6.0. I really like 6.0 though I do have to use vs 8 for some projects. The answers here are linked up on google. They are very useful and can save a programmers hours; CSmtp_v2_4 is only 2 years old and this page is providing solutions to compile errors for it. I have learnt something new as well.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

VS 6.0 was released in 1998. Why do you want to continue to use something that is nearly 20 years old? Which windows version are you using?

c/c++ has evolved considerably since then. The current version is VS 2017 of which there is a free community version available at https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I was using Visual Studio 6.0 in high school. I would use it with Directx 9 sdk. Everything was great, then Microsoft released this thing called .net. It was meant to be the latest and greatest thing. Really it was a pile of junk, it would only run on a genuine copy of windows. What idiot calls a development kit .net. Then the sdk samples started containing strange c sharp samples, nothing would compile, then it refused to run, sorry you need .net framework 1.1. Then Windows 7 came out, the system actually tried to prevent you from installing visual studio 6.0 sighting compatibility problems, which is total rubbish it runs great. Then win7 eradicated eax audio which is like a jet plane going back to using propellers. Every new version of a program you take on is a liability, a new learning experience though having said I will have a look at that download, thank you.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Note that when installing VS2017, check carefully that the required options are selected. For c/c++/SDK not all required options may be selected by default.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12