CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cultural week: wedding customs from your country

Cultural week: wedding customs from your country

This thread is for sharing local customs related to weddings. You can share here with us customs about the ceremonial, dressing, music, dancing, food, or anything else related to weddings. Also we can discuss legal matters about weddings.
    Last edited by cilu; October 24th, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: Cultural week: wedding customs from your country

In Romania, unlike English countries, priests don't have the legal rights to wed people. The only persons that can do that are so called "civil officers", from the city hall, basically the mayor, assistant mayor and few other people (can be both men or women).

However, most people are having a church ceremony too, after the "state" ceremony from the city hall (either same day or some time after, for instance my parents made the church ceremony 3 months after they actually married, but this is rather a rare and extreme case), as a symbolic wed before God, and also because this is the tradition for centuries or more.

I hope this will be a kickstart for this thread.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

hey it's interesting, cilu, that "civil officer" thing! i've never heard of such before.

the main thing in egypt is the wedding party.. depending on the couple's religion, they'll reserve one night/day for the actual signing of the marriage papers in the mosque or church.. then either later on that day, or some other day, they host the actual ceremony.. the ceremony has to be lavish and huge.. usually held in 5-star hotels, or higher, whatever the couple can afford. most wedding parties start at night, around 10pm, and end some time the next morning, usually around 2 or 3am

then the couple go off to their suite for the night, and the honeymoon trip awaits them the next day

but of course, everything depends on how much the couple can afford, somethings can be cancelled out, whatever they agree on, there's only one mandatory thing: the bride's dowry!! the groom actually pays the bride's father whatever he asks for, unlike in other countries (i.e. india) where it's the bride that pays for the groom (hehe it's so great :P )
    If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?

Quote Originally Posted by caramel
    there's only one mandatory thing: the bride's dowry!!
    That reminds me of a funny custom from Romanian weddings: the kidnap of the bride and the ransom from the groom. During the wedding party, some guys, usually friends of the groom, kidnap the bride (with her agreement of course, it's not something that she is forced to, or anything; she's politely invited to let herself kidnapped ) and then ask for a rasom from the groom. Usually they settle for drinks and food.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    That reminds me of a funny custom from Romanian weddings: the kidnap of the bride and the ransom from the groom. During the wedding party, some guys, usually friends of the groom, kidnap the bride (with her agreement of course, it's not something that she is forced to, or anything; she's politely invited to let herself kidnapped ) and then ask for a rasom from the groom. Usually they settle for drinks and food.
    omg! that's the coolest idea ever!! i think that would be sooooo much fun... maybe i'll try that if i ever get married

Composed of 7000 islands, colonized by Spain for more than 300years then America, then came Japan and then back to America, its very hard to pinpoint a traditional Filipino wedding. Currently wedding ceremony are very westernize, people can get wed by priest or govertment official like the mayor.

Although, in certain provinces , Spanish-Like wedding are still very evident. I think the most interesting part is the courting when young males senerade their chosen maiden early in the morning. It was fun watching the guy sing a love song, usually traditional songs of love, then the girl would watch him from the window. Then if the girl will agree, the long courtship will start and then start of the wedding talk, wherein the guy's family will ask the permission of the girl's family , then came the wedding details. And most of the time, a simple wedding would become a whole town event

There is the usual wedding entourage, the dancing, the pinning of money of the lovers as a sign of prosperity, throwing of rice, the dove and other stuff

That is a typical catholic-christian-provincial filipino wedding. But there are still other tribes that have their own interesting wedding ceremony, though most are no longer practice
    *** Con Tu Adios, Te Llevas, Mi Corazon***

Traveling Encoder...

Quote Originally Posted by caramel
    omg! that's the coolest idea ever!! i think that would be sooooo much fun... maybe i'll try that if i ever get married
    Can't be much fun for you if you are paying the ransom.

Quote Originally Posted by ideru
    It was fun watching the guy sing a love song, usually traditional songs of love, then the girl would watch him from the window. Then if the girl will agree...
    How do you show that? Any signal?

/Just curious.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

When Afrikaans people get married, it's basically the same as US. Bachelor parties etc.

What is Interesting In SA is when some of the Sotho, Xosa, Zulu people get married.

Before they do, the potential husband has to pay labola to his future parents in law. Labola can be money, cattle etc.
    They actually have two weddings - one in their culture, they slaughter a cow.
    And the normal US-type wedding
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

There is absolutely nothing special about the Aussie weddings, it is a standard western wedding.

However, the legal side of things can be done in two ways:
    Either a priest can marry you or a civil celebrant.

The non-religious people usually tend to get married by a civil celebrant, sometimes in a Church, sometimes in a nice garden or even on the beach. Priests usually will not marry you anywhere outside a Church unless they personally know you.

There is the old "something borrowed something blue... etc" tradition as well as the "groom not seeing the bride on the wedding day" tradition.

There are the 'bucks parties' and the 'hens nights' of course.

The woman will already have an engagement ring which will be accompanied by a wedding ring on the day. Here is what gets me:

--> On the first anniversary or the first child (whichever comes first) she gets a 3rd ring called an eternity ring. Another $1000...

One emerging tradition is called being a "bridezilla". That means a bride who wants EVERYTHING to go as planned on the day and she will stop at nothing to make sure that happens. A true monster of terror.

I'm not sure exactly how things are in Turkey, but I think it is the same as in Romania. The wedding itself is a very legal process, nothing glamorous about it followed by a party.

One old Turkish custom is that if kids see a wedding car(s) they will block the road & stand in front of the car and not let the car through until the groom gives them a little 'tip'.
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Joy
    How do you show that? Any signal?

/Just curious.

Actually I don't really know , it never happened to me and I was just a sleepy little girl when I saw my cousin being sung by a guy. I was staying at my grandma's house while my cousins( 2 ladies actually ) were staying at my aunt's house ( where the event was happening), the houses were just a couple of feet away. It was really annoying for me to be awoken at dawn, but the only consolation I get, is that I get to eat traditional cake and hot chocolate drink after they sing
    *** Con Tu Adios, Te Llevas, Mi Corazon***

Traveling Encoder...

anybody out there who follows the tradition of the bride throwing the boquette and whoever catches it will be the one who'll be married next? well, in one wedding. I got to catch the flower, and I am a guy. hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking
    anybody out there who follows the tradition of the bride throwing the boquette and whoever catches it will be the one who'll be married next? well, in one wedding. I got to catch the flower, and I am a guy. hahahaha
    yeah i forgot to mention, egyptians do that too at the end of the night.

i bet ur gf was excited hehe

In India there are many religions....and every religion follow different method....since i belong to sikh community(one of the religion in India).....so (u can click at sikh wedding or any other u want)......see this

www.shaadi.com/wedding/rituals/wedding
    Last edited by sunnypalsingh; October 25th, 2005 at 10:17 PM.
    Appreciate others by rating good posts

"Only buy something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years." - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking

We had the buquet throw and a garter throw at the end of the night.

All the guests then stood around the dance floor in a circle as me & my wife worked our way around the circle each going in opposite directions & thanking every person who came, shaking their hand, that sort of thing just before we left.

As I said pretty standard boring western weddings here in Australia... I would have preferred something a bit more jazzed up with camels and laser light shows and midgets riding bulls...
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast