CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

MFC discontinued ; a bit lost

Hello,
    I am using VC++6.0 with MFC for around 5 years for basic developments. I say basic because current VB would be certainly enough powerful to do them. Only the nice looking is important for my programs, I mean buttons, listboxes, comboboxes are onwerdraw. And now, I would like to draw all gadgets dynamically.

If I right understood, MFC is not more continued.

So because it is more and more difficult to program new gadgets with new Windows messages under vc++ 6.0, and because I am a bit afraid of Visual Studio, I would like to program now exclusively in c++ without mfc. Could you tell me where to find web sites with examples of c++ code without mfc ?

Bob.

Re: MFC discontinued ; a bit lost

Quote Originally Posted by efkefk
    Where is the source of this information ?

Anyways, the following article may be worth reading

MFC 8: I'm Not Dead Yet

May be I am wrong.

I would like to make my programs looking evolutate with current Windows operating system and new coming Windows operating systems. So I was thinking VC++ 6.0 is becoming a bit old. So I discussed with my software retailer about what to do. If I right understood, I told me that I have to go for Visual Studio. And Visual Studio stops supporting mfc for the new .net platform. Furthermore, it seems that Microsoft strongly encourage to move from c++ to c#, which is supposed to be the continuation of c++ (it seems c++ managed is to avoid a too hard transition from c++ to c# and it will not exist for a long time).

Personally, I feel too difficult to learn c#, and I feel Visual Studio .net too heavy to use. So I think about to program in pure c++ language (without mfc) and to use other c++ libraries of gadgets.

Again, may be I am wrong, but this is very difficult to understand the situation. I am programming alone. My programs have to live and evoluate during at least 5 or 10 years.

Bob.
    Last edited by efkefk; October 24th, 2005 at 12:27 PM.

I think if the Visual Studio 2005 has mfc library (mfc 8.0) then this will exist at least 2-3 years. and is sure that will be exist another verion of mfc verion 9.0 . Another thing: "a real professional has the ability to learn another programming language at any time even if he doesn't like it." i heard somwhere and I think this is true.
    Last edited by g_gili; October 24th, 2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Please use code tags [code] [/code]

We would change the world, but God won't give us the sourcecode..
    Undocumented futures are fun and useful....
    ___
    ______
    Gili

Language yes, another silly API, could be a waste of time.

I prefer to leave the GUI to people who like that sort of thing, I stay in the bowels of the system using C++.

This is definitelly not the definitive answer just my humble opinnion on this matter:

1. C++/Cli - I really don't understand it. Its C++ stripped of all its power, better go directlly for C#.

2. C#- the language itself is not hard. The framework and all its concepts are a different story though.

3. VS.NET - is more a VB like environment. Very different from the VS 6.0 look & feel.

4. Doing pure C++ & libraries - can be an excellent choice as long as you manage to find some good libraries. A very good compiler is also essential. A good IDE is also needed ( several options here).

5. Sticking to VS 6.0 - it seems that MS is really determined to blast it out of existence and force every1 to addopt the new technologies. But it will take a while until that happens, especially since there are many important companies still committed to VS 6.0. MS cannot ignore them easily.
    A lot can happen in 5-10 years tough.

Anyway, i expect VS 6.0 compiled programs to be more compatible with future Windows versions that any other apps.
    Har Har

It sounds to me as if your "software retailer" doesn't know what he is talking about. MFC will be with us for quite some time.

C# is not the continuation of C++ it is an aberration created by MS for reasons that I have yet to fathom. And "Managed C++" is another attempt by MS to hijack the C++ standards.

GUI programming sans MFC is arduous at best. If you really want to get away from MFC then try an alternative GUI library like QT or wxWidgets.

Thank you for all these comments.

Any link where I could download pure c++ sample code (that I could compile with VC++6.0) ?

Thank you for all these comments.

Any link where I could download pure c++ sample code (that I could compile with VC++6.0) ?
    See sourceforge.net. There are a lot of C++ projects there.

But just a note: if you do not need MFC and you don't plan to use MS's libraries either, it makes no sense to stick with the compiler. Try GCC or some other more compliant compiler.
    Har Har

Thank you.

I heard already about wxWidgets and GCC but not sourceforge.net.

If I right understood, I have to pay in order to access to sourceforge.net download area. It is not a big problem because it is not too expensive, but I have to wait for tomorrow to do that.

Bob.

Thank you.

I heard already about wxWidgets and GCC but not sourceforge.net.

If I right understood, I have to pay in order to access to sourceforge.net download area. It is not a big problem because it is not too expensive, but I have to wait for tomorrow to do that.

Bob.
    It is not mandatory to pay in order to use Sourceforge but it is a nice way to support them. Look at their subscription details
    Har Har

Quote Originally Posted by mlgoff
    And "Managed C++" is another attempt by MS to hijack the C++ standards.
    It is an extension, at best. BTW, the compiler that ships with VS2005 is said to be one of the closest ever to C++ standards. That is a good sign that MS is finally listening to developers

It is an extension, at best.
    As a general rule when I see gross error (as in MFC coding) I assume a momentary lapse of thought or at worst incompetence until otherwise proven.

But with MS I assume I assume malice until incompetence is proven...

Although I have heard from other sources as well that VC++ 2005 is MS's most standards compliant compiler to date, which is encouraging.

No, that info is definitely wrong. At the MVP Global Summit in Redmond three weeks ago, we also had a session with the VC++ library team. The discussion was about features of MFC 9.0 (which will be delivered with Orcas, the successor to VS 2005). There was also a question whether and when MFC would be discontinued somewhere in the future, the short answer was: Never.

C# is not the continuation of C++ it is an aberration created by MS for reasons that I have yet to fathom.
    No, C# is not the continuation of C++. It's an entirely new language which unifies the best features from C++, Java and Smalltalk. And as someone who has been using C for almost 20 years and C++ for more than twelve years: I strongly encourage everyone to learn C#. Believe me, that's what the future looks like.

And "Managed C++" is another attempt by MS to hijack the C++ standards.
    No. The "managed extensions" for C++ have been a temporary solution for writing managed code with C++. They have become obsolete with C++/CLI, which is part of the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by PadexArt
    C++/Cli - I really don't understand it. Its C++ stripped of all its power, better go directlly for C#.
    Well, going directly for C++ is indeed a very valid option. However, C++/CLI doesn't strip anything from C++, it adds something - the ability to write managed code. However, you're not required to use the CLI extensions: you can continue using C++ as usual for writing native code (and in fact, there will always be many situations where this is the correct decision).

GUI programming sans MFC is arduous at best. If you really want to get away from MFC then try an alternative GUI library like QT or wxWidgets.
    Or take a look at C# and the .NET framework. Once you've written UI code with that productivity boost, you will probably wonder how you could ever write UI code with MFC. MFC was great and a highly productive framework in the nineties - however, compared to C# and .NET, it will look to you like writing Win32 SDK code in assembly language.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast