CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Re: Is MFC finished?

I hope, not.

Oups, It's not my thread. I just have traveled in the past (my everyday's dream).
    Last edited by ovidiucucu; October 27th, 2005 at 05:16 AM.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Smile Is MFC finished?

I am a VC++ Developer working on VC++/MFC for last 2 yrs. After attending couple of interviews and company's requirements, what i've come across is most of the companies use SDK and pure C++ for developing core part of an application and for front end they prefer VC# or VB instead of MFC.

So i've started feeling bit insecure about my career. Since i want to stick into VC++ and my core strength lies in MFC. But since .net has arrived in the market it started making me feel bit insecure.

What do you guys think about MFC's present and future? When i say i want to stick into VC++ i didn't mean that i don't wanna learn .net languages, although combination of .net languages alongwith VC++ is the best combination. But i don't wanna totally move into .net from VC++.

Therefore career point of view what can you suggest me?

You might have a look at this thread.

You hope not, to satisfy yourself, but you are not sure about the truth. ovidiucucu it seems that you too are bit concerned about it. Am i right

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us
    You hope not, to satisfy yourself, but you are not sure about the truth. ovidiucucu it seems that you too are bit concerned about it. Am i right
    Nope. If I have to use anything else, I don't mind.
    Ovidiu

The Navajo native americans believe that someone dies only when the last person that remembers him/her dies. As long as people are still using MFC, MFC will not die. And currently many people are using MFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovidiu
    Oups, It's not my thread. I just have traveled in the past (my everyday's dream).
    Nah, that was our little ghost in the machine scattering posts just for fun.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Thumbs up Re: Is MFC finished?

OK I am bit satisfied that MFC will not die. Even MS have the policy that he does'nt let his invention die that easily. But taking today's S/W market and future S/W market into the consideration, what will be the best choice for me.

For becoming a successful S/W developer, but in my past I have devoted myself for MFC in order to develop windows Based Applications. And the reason why VC++ is the most powerful language is because of its core programming, the ability which lets user directly interact with the H/W device, its registers etc, and MFC plays very short role in development of Core Application, its done using SDK, Win32 Porgamming and pure C++ etc.

What can you suggest me? I am good in MFC, i find it intresting but i am not a master in that. So in what else should i expertise myself besides MFC, Win32 Programming?

Despite being a VC++ Developer, has it become a need to learn .net language too? What are the best options available for me to have a stable career of S/W developer?

Recently I even read in this article
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showth...1&page=2&pp=15

Stating that "For developing windows based application using MFC instead VC# is like using Assembly language for developing Win32 Applications". What openion do you guys have about it?

Thanks
    Last edited by maverick786us; October 27th, 2005 at 07:06 AM.

What can you suggest me? I am good in MFC, i find it intresting but i am not a master in that. So in what else should i expertise myself besides MFC, Win32 Programming?
    Probably WinForms, WebServices, and the new stuff Avalon, Indigo, etc.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Despite being a VC++ Developer, has it become a need to learn .net language too? What are the best options available for me to have a stable career of S/W developer?
    The more you know, the better is.
    Stating that "For developing windows based application using MFC instead VC# is like using Assembly language for developing Win32 Applications". What openion do you guys have about it?
    Blah!
    Ovidiu

I fully agree...

cilu what you suggested me, does that holds the future Software Market? I am very much worried about my career as a software developer and bit confused whether sticking to VC++ is right or move into managed code or do both.

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    I fully agree...
    Please tell me one last thing gstercken. Do you accept that Win32 with MFC is the strongest kind of programming technique available and is even more powerful than .NET or anything else today?

If so is it possible to combine Win32 with .NET like use an Win32 API to alter a control say in .NET. Is that possible if so please post a code fragment doing such a thing. Thanks.
    Last edited by MrBeans; October 27th, 2005 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    I fully agree...
    ... although, that comparison may sound wonderful in high-level programming language lovers (e.g. VB and so on) ears.
    I wish to see the day when my boss will be alone and simply...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ovidiu

PS. "higher-level" programming languages doesn't mean "better" programming languages .
    Ovidiu

Cool Re: Is MFC finished?

You can do system programming as well as windows core programming through C/C++ and VC++ which i guess cannot be achieved through .net, although i am not sure.

According to my knowledge even 3-D Game development like Open GL Programming can only by achieved through C/C++/VC++

So after reading all the replies I wanna know what will be the best choice for my career as a successful software developer?

1) Move from VC++ and switch into .net?

2) Need to acquire thorough knowolege of VC++ as well as .net and combine them together to develop the application? (VC++ for core development and .net for windows interface and front - end development).

3) Stick to VC++ only, cuz there will always be the requirement of VC++ developers in today as well as future.

Is VC++ Career a successful and long lasting career?
    Why i am asking all this is because its always hard to switch on to something new and start from scratchwhen you are into it for more than 2 yrs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast