CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Limit Number Of vb setup Installation on client machine

Hi.
    I am using Installshield 2.11 to create my vb setup cd.

I want to limit number of installation maximum to 5 times for my client, from given setup cd.

Do i have to use any dll files or registry entry when first installation is done.
    I really have no idea

Waiting for anticipation

Re: Limit Number Of vb setup Installation on client machine

Good luck. This is the question which has been facing people for years. In short there is no way to do it. You can make life hard for them, but you can't really stop it.
    Mike

Pinky98 is right, there is no way to totally restrict such a thing. But you can write the number of instalations somewhere ppl don't expect. Somewhere in registries but with a name that has no relation to your application, or in some file in that is created in Windows directory. A good ideea is to encrypt this data so it's even harder for some one to make any connection to your application and this file. Anyway if he has another applications to see last modified files and registry entries than your doomed Good luck!
    You liked it? Please show your gratitude and rate it!

There is no 'patch' for stupidity.

Lightbulb Re: Limit Number Of vb setup Installation on client machine

Quote Originally Posted by vma
    Pinky98 is right, there is no way to totally restrict such a thing. But you can write the number of instalations somewhere ppl don't expect. Somewhere in registries but with a name that has no relation to your application, or in some file in that is created in Windows directory. A good ideea is to encrypt this data so it's even harder for some one to make any connection to your application and this file. Anyway if he has another applications to see last modified files and registry entries than your doomed Good luck!
    This still only controls the number of instalations on a single PC.. Best way is to write in unlocking Keys.. Keys not entered -- no App.. Just finished a app with this..

If wanted i can build an example app and source and post..( PS same keys do not work on different systems..)

Gremmy
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

I just some days ago answered a similar post giving some ideas to that theme you can read this http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1267651#post1267651

Hope that helps a bit
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

but even then... a simple format and they can re-install the software.
    Mike

of course, that's why I said: there is no way to totally restrict such a thing
    You liked it? Please show your gratitude and rate it!

There is no 'patch' for stupidity.

of course, that's why I said: there is no way to totally restrict such a thing
    Yes thats true, but as it was also said by someone, you can mke it a bit more difficult to to for them who wants to have costfree use of others work.

Jonny Poet
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Smile Re: Limit Number Of vb setup Installation on client machine

Hi,

I am not agree with replyies you have got so far. See, you have a way to restrict the no of installation on same pc as well as no of client installations of server program.

Logic for this is :
    1] For restricting No of installations on same pc :
    You can insert blank form for taking input for no of instances. on same pc, just link the exe not dll with public parameter for No of instances. As soon as you fire any event (like Next Click or else) you have to just execute that exe which will generate registry entry for instance. While uninstallations, do not remove related reg entry thats all. In each installtion, you can check for existance of reg key and value, so if present you can ad it else create it with value 1.

If you have ever used clinent limitation ligic for server program, you will get to understand this logic.

please feel free to revert or doughts on area11@rediffmail.com with specifying sub starting with "CODEGURU MEMBER - "

Thanking You,

Regards,

Nitin T.

Dear Nitin, If I re-install the Client PC , then where is your registry entry for validation ?

Dear.. !
    I'M BACK AGAIN !!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    enjoy the VB !
    If any post helps you, please rate that.
    Always try to findout the Solutions, instead just discussing the problem and its scope!

Nitin T, sorry if I am mis-understanding you but your post was very hard to understand...
    I disagree... your method is probably one of the simplist ways to create a system that can be cracked. All I need to do is write a program that watches writes to the registry. Then re-create the writes for additional installs. Plus, I can still simply re-install my machine.

As for having a client that needs to contact a server, simply place a network sniffer on your machine, and watch for calls. Then setup a new server which mimics the actual server.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by area11
    Hi,

I am not agree with replyies you have got so far. See, you have a way to restrict the no of installation on same pc as well as no of client installations of server program. ...
    But as told before, also in that case user can format his HD and can install it again. ( For example if you give people a time limeted offer to test your program if the user really wants to use without payment in the end by using FDisk and new windows setup he could again use your program.) It is a told, you can make it hard for the user, but you cannot make it really impossible for him.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

hi,
    i just wanna ask that if the hardware signature of any pc can be retrieved by any API? If so, then the no of installations can be limited by applying a check on the hardware signature(like the processor model number,etc.)
    i don't really know whether this works out.

yes, you can retrieve a hardware "stamp". Normally ones gets any of mac address, primary HDD key, and Primary CPU key, or combination there of.

But, once you have the keys want do you want to do with them? Obviously, if you know them before-hand you can limit the prog to work only on the machine with that key. But, even this isn't fool proof. Many new network cards allow you to dymanically change the MAC... plus a rather simplr hack can get around this too.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky98
    ... Many new network cards allow you to dymanically change the MAC... plus a rather simplr hack can get around this too.
    Yes but only if anybody knows what you are using. If you are using HDD number, CPU key and your pgmy version number you can create a key like 'AQC%-RTCP-8IOLW' something like that. Read the thread which I pointed out in post no 5 ( this thread ) I have described such a solution. But this needs to be switched free on your server.

Jonny Poet
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast