CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Limit Number Of vb setup Installation on client machine

To have a conclusion: No one and I mean NO ONE has ever succeded an imposible to brake application. I'm never bought anything on my comp. I have WinXP SP2 cracked, I have Photoshop cracked, I have Maya, I have SQL Server, AutoCAD and a ton of games, all cracked and I can get any soft I want in less than 24 hours. If these companies didn't found a way to restrict this yet I say it's impossible to do such a thing.
    At least for the moment!
    You liked it? Please show your gratitude and rate it!

There is no 'patch' for stupidity.

Lightbulb Re: Limit Number Of vb setup Installation on client machine

Quote Originally Posted by pangolin_10
    hi,
    i just wanna ask that if the hardware signature of any pc can be retrieved by any API? If so, then the no of installations can be limited by applying a check on the hardware signature(like the processor model number,etc.)
    i don't really know whether this works out.
    Using this little bit of code with modules i got somewhere (Maybe on CG) i put together this code snip.. Not perfect but workable.. Instalation is limited by YOU.. creates a key that the user has to send to you.. You can verify details and send back a unlock key.. I used Bit byting, byte subsitution for the keys, and Xor for encryption... the three most basic coding methods around, Simple but effective...

Sample prog will take inputs, Create a 40 digit key (Case sensitive).. Then reverse the key and return id and user details from the key , and supply an unlocking key..

this is far from a perfect method.. but the normal Hardware Teckies and some of the Software Teckies wont be able to fool this..

Gremmy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA
    Using this little bit of code with modules i got somewhere (Maybe on CG) i put together this code snip.. Not perfect but workable.. Instalation is limited by YOU.. creates a key that the user has to send to you.. You can verify details and send back a unlock key.. I used Bit byting, byte subsitution for the keys, and Xor for encryption... the three most basic coding methods around, Simple but effective...

Sample prog will take inputs, Create a 40 digit key (Case sensitive).. Then reverse the key and return id and user details from the key , and supply an unlocking key..

this is far from a perfect method.. but the normal Hardware Teckies and some of the Software Teckies wont be able to fool this..

Gremmy
    100% agreed with you as i done it already with a software system developed for School Management System.
    I'M BACK AGAIN !!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    enjoy the VB !
    If any post helps you, please rate that.
    Always try to findout the Solutions, instead just discussing the problem and its scope!

My cousion is useing a program that uses a floppy disk for protection you can set how many times they install from a floppy then when they have used up their times use a debug command to format track 0 of the floppy ,I dont know how to do this but i think it will work

Quote Originally Posted by duplincomputers
    My cousion is useing a program that uses a floppy disk for protection you can set how many times they install from a floppy then when they have used up their times use a debug command to format track 0 of the floppy ,I dont know how to do this but i think it will work
    Hi !
    I dont even have anymore a floppy on my computer nor on my laptop.
    This is old technology and is I think gone down the river. You cannot transfer this technique to a CD because this technique was based on the idea to store the usage in track 0 as a byte and before satrting copying ,checking there if its allowed

Jonny Poet
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by duplincomputers
    This method is a bit Mute.. Most new computers dont even have a stiffy now.. With network conectivity, I've installed systems that dont even have CD Rom's, to limit the user from only using what's available on the network...

Also i dont think the client whould apreciate getting a proggy on CD and a installer Stiffy disk..

Then theres Disk Image.. Make 30 Image copies of the stiffy and you have 30 installers..

It worked in its day (10 years ago), but with users getting wiser today.. it's just no good...

Gremmy.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

You can protect your application by using new technology, like usb card and packed with THEMIDA or other packer.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by ulymar
    You can protect your application by using new technology, like usb card and packed with THEMIDA or other packer.

regards
    But this incurs the extra cost of Purchasing and programming the USB Dongle to work with the application..

And the additional Tech support now required to mantain them.. ( I've Picked up some problems with different brands of USB memory sticks where you can only use one or the other, as the Drivers conflict with each other)....

Gremmy....

I would be interested in getting a copy of this program attached to Post # 17 for either C# or Visual Basic .Net. I am really interested to see how it works because I am looking for this exact thing for one of my program I will be distrubiting soon.

I no longer have Visual Basic 6.0 and even if I did I don't remember how to use the language so the current example doesn't do me any good.

Is there a way to run this project through Visual Studio and convert it, at least, to Visual Basic .Net?
    Three5Eight
    Using: MS C# 08 EE, MS SQL 05 EE, C++ .Net 08 EE, Vista Home Premium, XP Home

Yes, you can open a VB6.0 project in VS.Net but it would convert it, from thereon you could try fixing the errors which is usual when a VB6.0 project is converted to .Net.

I got it open with express edition and there were too many errors for me to worry about. Does anyone know of any newer key programs like that? Something written for C#? I have been searching for lock/unlock programs but I haven't found anything useful.

The one I use to use got the Windows Product ID and used that to generate the lock and unlock codes, but it doesn't work anymore on Vista without being modified and it does not work on 64 bit Vista at all.

I'd like to get a lock program that does not depend on Windows to work and it looks like getting the hard drive, and other hardware serial numbers is a big PITA. I don't think you can do it stright from C# witout importing all kinds of Win32 libraries. At least that's how all the examples I've seen work.
    Three5Eight

The Net language has built in encryption libraries that VB6 couldn't even think of.

They have classes for just about everything that you could think of. You can use any of them in your VB.Net or C# programs, with the syntax being slightly different for each flavor.

http://www.example-code.com/vbdotnet/encryption.asp
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

There is one and only one (very very nearly) foolproof way to protect your software....simply do NOT distribute it.

This may seem silly, but it really works. If your software resides 100% on a machine that YOU (and only you or trusted associates) control, then you can achieve the goal.

Keeping the software on a centrally controled server and only allowing "Terminal Services" access to it is becoming more and more common for critical secure operations.

In addition to virtual preventing unauthorized use, it also nearly eliminates all attack surfaces for hacking.

note to vma: Your account and other information has been forwarded to SPA
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Most of my clients are not super hackers so a simple program key works great for me.

The other point is that if you have sold your program to someone in Timbuktu, and received good money for it, what do you do when they call up and tell you the computer had to be reformatted because of viruses, or the HD was upgraded, or the memory was upgraded, etc, etc

I suppose you could always tell them you dont believe them, and tell them to send you another cheque .... would you ????????? Not likely unless you are some idiot.

However, if I did have to seriously protect myself from someone unlawfully using my software, I would do the following

1) Inform the client that because of high security concerns, the program will not function unless they are connected to the internet (at least at starting up the program)

2) When the program starts, it either makes a connection to your own web site / server and passes information about the a) User b) Computer running your program (of course it can send you the serial number of the program being run also)

You then have an option to let them run the program (by sending back a confirm code which you program understands) or you can stop the operation - even uninstall / delete the program (or critical parts of it)

The offender would then be flagged so if they attempt to restart the same serial number program, it just would not work

This way you would not only protect unlawful use of you program but you would also know exactly who uses you program and when
    Last edited by George1111; December 13th, 2008 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    Most of my clients are not super hackers so a simple program key works great for me.

The other point is that if you have sold your program to someone in Timbuktu, and received good money for it, what do you do when they call up and tell you the computer had to be reformatted because of viruses, or the HD was upgraded, or the memory was upgraded, etc, etc

I suppose you could always tell them you dont believe them, and tell them to send you another cheque .... would you ????????? Not likely unless you are some idiot.

However, if I did have to seriously protect myself from someone unlawfully using my software, I would do the following

1) Inform the client that because of high security concerns, the program will not function unless they are connected to the internet (at least at starting up the program)

2) When the program starts, it either makes a connection to your own web site / server and passes information about the a) User b) Computer running your program (of course it can send you the serial number of the program being run also)

You then have an option to let them run the program (by sending back a confirm code which you program understands) or you can stop the operation - even uninstall / delete the program (or critical parts of it)

The offender would then be flagged so if they attempt to restart the same serial number program, it just would not work

This way you would not only protect unlawful use of you program but you would also know exactly who uses you program and when
    Neat! I had this exact same idea but I thought it was stupid. But you just thought of the same idea so it must not be that stupid after all.

I don't think I would delete/uninstall the software for them because the could make way to legal action against my company. But what I can do is say "Internet Connection Required" on the box of the software, and on the disc. This is not uncommon because today if you don't have the Internet something is seriously wrong. If they have security set up on a network for connecting to the Internet they just have to allow my program.

I will sell the program for a flat price, and then charge them a yearly fee for .. download upgraded versions or usage license. I'll figure something out. That way, they have to check with my database when the program starts up (or even everyday at midnight, in case they never shut the program down). If they don't pay me I can simply go into my database and set the "inactive" bit in the table for their product, and they can't use the program anymore, or at least only use some features of it.

I could send several renewal notices to them prior to cutting them off so if they get cut of, they were warned.

I think this sounds more secure then a lock/unlock code. I know there is probably a way to hack it but, you can hack anything now days.
    Three5Eight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast