MVP Regional Dinner, Frankfurt
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: MVP Regional Dinner, Frankfurt

MVP Regional Dinner, Frankfurt

Yesterday evening, I had the pleasure to meet Siddhartha in person at the first MVP Regional Dinner near Frankfurt (it wasn't organized by Microsoft, but a private initiative of Michael Fischer, a German Shell/User MVP).

So after JohnCz, Brad and Tom Archer, Sid is now the fourth CodeGuru member I have met offline so far. I really enjoyed it - Sid is a very nice and interesting person, and it's always exciting to talk from face to face to persons that you have been knowing for a long time (sometimes years) on the forums.

Unfortunately, we were so busy discussing that I forgot to take pictures (although I had brought my camera). Never mind, I'll try next time (probably in January 2006).

Interestingly enough, each time when CodeGuru members meet, they hardly talk about C++, MFC or other development matters. Most subjects turn around the forums, other members (gossip! ), speculations about MVP nominations, cultural differences between our countries, etc.

Unfortunately, Andreas Masur couldn't make it... Maybe next time.

Re: MVP Regional Dinner, Frankfurt

Nice thread, Guido. Yes, meeting you was a real pleasure.

As members - we meet, we discuss and we debate so often on Codeguru that it is just a matter of time that our virtual existence assumes a larger-than-life figure and stands in place of our personalities and our own selves. This makes meeting a fellow-member in person such a cherishable experience - the "member" suddenly takes human form! Yes, it does exist!

My first impression of Guido was - "He looks even better in person than in his Avatar!"

The MVP get-together was an initiative of Michael Fischer in a suburb of Frankfurt scheduled at 19:00 hours on 18th Nov 2005 (yesterday). Not being certain if I could make it to Frankfurt – 2 hours away, I penned a a little PM to Guido letting him know that should things not work out we would meet on another occasion. Lo and behold - immediately came a reply saying that he's already on the train and more than half-way through (A little known secret - this guy goes around with fancy toys that connect him to CG all the time!)

Inspired, I decided that I ought to make it too...!

Being the first of it's kind (informal one for the area) the get-together itself was attended by only 6 of us. Andreas unfortunately didn't make it. It was fun talking to MVPs across domains. The geeks I met love Powertoys, and at one instance there were so many on the table that the radiation kept my dish from getting cold...

Over many glasses of beer, CG issues took priority among other things. Funnily enough, one time too often we spoke not as if we've met for the first time, rather as if continuing a topic that was a left-over from a previous meeting! I didn’t feel like it was a first meet... Yet, it was one - undoubtedly so.

A very nice evening it was, as also a successful initiative that ended well with some real good JIT catching up with the last train…

Looking forward to the next meet...

Cheers,
    Siddhartha
    Last edited by Siddhartha; November 19th, 2005 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    My first impression of Guido was - "He looks even better in person than in his Avatar!"
    Thank you - but I hadn't noticed that you have had that many beers, Sid...

Funnily enough, one time too often we spoke not as if we've met for the first time, rather as if continuing a topic that was a left-over from a previous meeting! I didn’t feel like it was a first meet...
    Absoultely true!

that ended well with some real good JIT catching up with the last train…
    Yes, that's a hobby of mine... But I really like how you applied the JIT attribute to it - yes, I'm probably a passionate train jitter (and for that matter, also a plane jitter)...

The geeks I met love Powertoys, and at one instance there were so many on the table that the radiation kept my dish from getting cold...
    That was nothing - you should once try sharing a dinner table with Mobile / Windows CE MVPs. There won't even be space left for your dish...

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Thank you - but I hadn't noticed that you have had that many beers, Sid...
    Ha.. ha...

Seriously, me thinks you should replace that picture in your avatar... With a more recent color picture... We should put this on vote perhaps: How many members would like to see Guido in full color?
    (Yes, I forgot my camera... Else, I would've just put the best photo up... )

Perhaps, I need to start a motion - the AUP ought to state the following conditions (source) -

1. Your photo should not be older than 6 months
    2. You should be photographed with a light background
    3. Your face should occupy between 50 % - 70 % space.
    4. Both ears should be visible... (my favorite condition )
    Yes, that's a hobby of mine... But I really like how you applied the JIT attribute to it - yes, I'm probably a passionate train jitter (and for that matter, also a plane jitter)...
    It's my hobby too...

Perhaps, you didn't notice that my watch is 10 mins ahead. It is always so - much to the amusement of my friends.

The logic is that I need atmost 10 mins to reach a place of significance... A station, a train, a bus stop, a meeting room, etc. So, I can leave roundabout the very time when the appointment is supposed to occur, and still make it...! Very, very wierd logic... But, ends up working somehow...

Of course, I reach JIT...
    Last edited by Siddhartha; November 20th, 2005 at 10:40 AM.

That was nothing - you should once try sharing a dinner table with Mobile / Windows CE MVPs. There won't even be space left for your dish...

Yeah... A good friend of mine believe that the WLAN in my residence itself is an electromagnetic pollutant... Wonder what she'd think about these guys...
    Last edited by Siddhartha; November 20th, 2005 at 03:55 PM.

Very, very wierd logic... But, ends up working somehow...
    I can't see anything weird about that logic...

A few years ago, while I was still living in Verona (Italy), I had a project in Germany. I often took the night train on Sunday evening, so I arrived at my customer's site in the morning.
    I once had a friend / colleague working with me on the same project visiting for the weekend. We absoultely had to catch the train at 00:31, since we had an important meeting on Monday morning. Well, that friend started getting a little anxious when we were still sitting on the piazza with a glass of wine at 00:28. At that time, I started calling a taxi, we took it and drove home, having the driver wait while I got into the house to prepare my suitcase for the week (I was very routined in high-speed suitcase packing back then), jumped into the cab again, rushed to the station, arrived at 00:31, paid the taxi, sprinted to the platform and jumped onto the train already in motion. My friend was utterly surprised - he would have never expected us to catch that train. What he didn't know is that you could always rely on italian trains being at least two minutes late...

I can't see anything weird about that logic...
    Glad to know someone who doesn't...

If you ask those that object - they may point out "Why can't he simply leave at 20 past for a meeting at 30 past... ". Phew, they don't understand the simple pleasure of leaving "on time".

A few years ago, while I was still living in Verona (Italy)...
    Yes, I know where Verona is... Close to here, right?

I was there a few months back... Such a beautiful place...

and jumped onto the train already in motion.
    This sounds so cool... It reminds me of my days in Bombay... Always jumped into running trains and buses...

One complaint with German trains is that they have doors... That close...
    Last edited by Siddhartha; November 20th, 2005 at 11:23 AM.

Funky, looks like you guys had a lot of fun
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Siddartha and gsterken
    Sitting in a tree...
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

Interestingly enough, each time when CodeGuru members meet, they hardly talk about C++, MFC or other development matters.
    :sigh:

/sighs a big relief
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

Perhaps, you didn't notice that my watch is 10 mins ahead. It is always so - much to the amusement of my friends.

The logic is that I need atmost 10 mins to reach a place of significance... A station, a train, a bus stop, a meeting room, etc. So, I can leave roundabout the very time when the appointment is supposed to occur, and still make it...! Very, very wierd logic... But, ends up working somehow...

Of course, I reach JIT...

I used to do something like (not now) that when my office was 5 mins walk from my room. I start by 9:00, and reach the office by 9:00
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me