CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

converting very big numbers from hex to dec

am tring to conver the left number in the atached image to the on on the right but i recive overflow

how can i slove this problem?
    thnaks i nadvance
    peleg

Re: converting very big numbers from hex to dec

Unfortunately, that large of a number is too much for even a Long.

Singles and Doubles can hold it, but because they use significant digits, the value of the number gets changed.

With Single:
    Entered 144614369260322395
    Returned 144614366354866176

With Double:
    Entered 144614369260322395
    Returned 144614369260322400

My best suggestion would be to convert the hex into a String, and whenever you make comparisons, if you make any, just make sure the value it's being compared against gets put into CStr().
    Strings can perform direct comparisons with number strings perfectly as far as I can see, so "500" < "600" will return True, "455" <= "300" will return False, "400" <> "400" will return False, etc.
    Last edited by ChaosTheEternal; December 14th, 2005 at 08:51 AM.

i didnt execlly understamdnd you
    i ned oo convert 1 of them to the other format before i can compre!

how will i do it?

Make the comparisons as strings.

Meaning, make both values being compared into Strings when you compare them, using the CStr() function if necessary.

Hi !
    I'm working on that. Hope to present you a solution soon. 100 decimal digits are enough ?

Jonny Poet
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Here are some converterfunctions I have done for u, working up to 100 decimal digits
    Please test them. Hope that helps

Jonny Poet
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTheEternal
    My best suggestion would be to convert the hex into a String, and whenever you make comparisons, if you make any, just make sure the value it's being compared against gets put into CStr()....
    Yea, but I think he has to compare long decimals against hex values !! so he has to convert one of them before he can compare.
    So I did some converters.

Jonny Poet
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Thumbs up Re: converting very big numbers from hex to dec

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPoet
    Yea, but I think he has to compare long decimals against hex values !! so he has to convert one of them before he can compare.
    So I did some converters.

Jonny Poet
    Hey Jonny you are great... Thanks for help.

P.S : I love this site.... I think the best coding site on the planet
    Last edited by jdavide; December 15th, 2005 at 01:13 AM.

hey Joney it worked!
    i need only 15 number length
    thnaks alot great day and great weekd end
    peleg

maybe u have the opposite:
    from dec to hex?

VB already has that built in:

Hex(Number)

It returns the number as a hexadecimal String.

... unfortunately, Hex can't handle values larger than Longs.
    You would have to do some manual conversion.
    Last edited by ChaosTheEternal; December 15th, 2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Should have checked beforehand...

VB already has that built in:

Hex(Number)

It returns the number as a hexadecimal String.
    Yes I tried that, but putting in, the given number 144614369260322395 is changed to an format with exponent ( I dont know english expression ) 1446...E+17 something like that so its not really usable I think.
    I'll do that from a string-number like "1446..." into a hex string in the evening ( Its just now 3 PM in Vienna) so in some hours it should be done

Jonny Poet
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Strings can perform direct comparisons with number strings perfectly as far as I can see, so "500" < "600" will return True, "455" <= "300" will return False, "400" <> "400" will return False, etc.
    Just one note here ... the above examples work because they the same length.. if you try "9" < "10" you get false.. because in text digit 1 is compared to Digit 1 then digit 2, 3.....

In this case use format to add in leading 0's

Gremmy
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA
    Just one note here ... the above examples work because they the same length.. if you try "9" < "10" you get false.. because in text digit 1 is compared to Digit 1 then digit 2, 3.....

In this case use format to add in leading 0's

Gremmy
    Yes Gremmy you talked out of my soul. Yesterday I want to mention that, then I forgot. Today it was on my list to do that. You did

BTW I just started to program the Long-Decimal-string to Binary and to Hex functions. Will be ready soon I hope.
    Last edited by JonnyPoet; December 15th, 2005 at 01:54 PM.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

For comparing strings, you could opt to check the lengths of them first, then the strings.
    Code:
    If Len(strOne) = Len(strTwo) Then
        If strOne > strTwo Then MsgBox "strOne is larger"
        If strOne < strTwo Then MsgBox "strTwo is larger"
        If strOne = strTwo Then MsgBox "strOne = strTwo"
    Else
        If Len(strOne) > Len(strTwo) Then MsgBox "strOne is larger"
        If Len(strOne) < Len(strTwo) Then MsgBox "strTwo is larger"
    End If

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast