CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Unicode LPCTSTR Problem

Hello,

I have an Unicode application and need to call an DLL with Multibyte Interface. The Interface have an Function:

ThisFunction(LPCTSTR name)

How I can now give an Multibyte LPCTSTR from an Unicode application to that DLL. Everything I tried gave me the linker error that there is no Function available with wchar_t *. This is right cause the DLL expect const char *

So how to call it outside the Unicode application with an call like:

ThisFunction("Dialog");

With _T("Dialog") and L"Dialog it do not work (linker problem).

Ocrana

Re: Unicode LPCTSTR Problem

If the parameter is a constant then just call it with
    Code:
    ThisFunction("Dialog");
    If the parameter is not a constant, use WideCharToMultiByte() to convert your Unicode string to a multibyte string (of type char*) and pass it to ThisFunction().

Quote Originally Posted by Ocrana007
    ThisFunction(LPCTSTR name)

How I can now give an Multibyte LPCTSTR from an Unicode application to that DLL.
    This should be called as follows -

Code:
    ThisFunction (_T ("A TCHAR Constant String"));
    And...
    Everything I tried gave me the linker error that there is no Function available with wchar_t *. This is right cause the DLL expect const char *
    You mean compiler error (and not linker error)?
    So how to call it outside the Unicode application with an call like:
    With _T("Dialog") and L"Dialog it do not work (linker problem).
    Post the actual error you see.

How I can now give an Multibyte LPCTSTR from an Unicode application to that DLL.
    BTW, there is no such thing as a Multibyte LPCTSTR.

LPCTSTR is a typedef defined as -
    Code:
    typedef const TCHAR* LPCTSTR;
    Where TCHAR is defined as -
    Code:
    #ifdef _UNICODE
    typedef wchar_t TCHAR;
     #else
     typedef char_t TCHAR;
    ...put simply.

So, as you can see, depending on the definition of the UNICODE macro, LPCTSTR can be a wchar_t* or a char*

MBCS (Multi-Byte Character String) is basically a char* string that allows a simple character string to hold international characters by allowing a variable width of characters per symbol (alphabet).

So, a LPCTSTR can be a Wide Character String, or a Simple Character string depending on the definition of the UNICODE macro. If the latter, it can optionally be a MBCS string depending on the definition of the MBCS macro (that redirects all _t* string functions to mb* functions). So, a LPCTSTR being multi-byte is a special case of a LPCTSTR, and one must not pass a pure-MBCS string as a LPCTSTR - it will not compile for UNICODE settings.

Essentially, if your function accepts a LPCTSTR, supply a LPCTSTR string wrapped in the _T macro, and let the pre-processor definition convert the string for you - i.e. _T gets mapped as L when _UNICODE is defined (making the string literal a wide-character one), and ignored otherwise (making it a character string).
    Last edited by Siddhartha; December 17th, 2005 at 08:33 AM.

Have you compiled the DLL with unicode -option as well? If not, you have to convert the unicode string passed to DLL-function to multibyte string. Since they are separate binaries, they don't automatically adapt to each other's settings.