dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: _beginthread vs CreateThread

Question _beginthread vs CreateThread

I have a C project that uses some threads.

I currently don't use ExitThread(), instead my threads simply return (x) when they are done. I plan to use ExitThread() instead though, as it generally seems like a "safer" method.

I create the threads with CreateThread().
    Question:
    If I change from simply using return in my threads to use ExitThread(), should I then also change from using CreateThread() to _beginthread() to create my threads?

I ask this because MSDN states:
    " A thread that uses functions from the C run-time libraries should use the
    _beginthread and _endthread C run-time functions for thread management rather than CreateThread and ExitThread. Failure to do so results in small memory leaks when ExitThread is called.
    "

Is there perhaps more to this!?
    Please enlighten me!

Re: _beginthread vs CreateThread

You should not mix those thread functions. Either use _beginthread/_endthread, _beginthreadex/_endthreadex or CreateThread/ExitThread.

If you dont use ExitThread to terminate a thread the API will implicit call ExitThread for you.

Is there perhaps more to this!?
    The C runtime (or some of its functions) uses the Thread Local Storage (TLS) to store information. If you create a thread using CreateThread then this information will not be initialized, and the C runtime may and will misbehave.

- petter

Using "return (x)" is the best way, since it's compatible with _beginthread, _beginthreadex and CreateThread. Whoever the caller is you're returning to will issue a matching _endthread, _endthreadex or EndThread, according to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfrog
    You should not mix those thread functions. Either use _beginthread/_endthread, _beginthreadex/_endthreadex or CreateThread/ExitThread.

If you dont use ExitThread to terminate a thread the API will implicit call ExitThread for you.

The C runtime (or some of its functions) uses the Thread Local Storage (TLS) to store information. If you create a thread using CreateThread then this information will not be initialized, and the C runtime may and will misbehave.

- petter
    Thanks!

OK, so if I sum this up, this is the facts:

1. When programming in C, I should use _beginthread() to create my threads (never CreateThread()).

2. I can safetly continue using return(x) when exiting in my threads (no point in explicitly calling _endthread and never call ExitThread()).

Correct?

1. When programming in C, I should use _beginthread() to create my threads (never CreateThread()).
    I wouldn't say never, but as a generals rule use _beginthread or _beginthreadex.

2. I can safetly continue using return(x) when exiting in my threads (no point in explicitly calling _endthread and never call ExitThread()).
    Correct.

- petter

Quote Originally Posted by ackabacka
    OK, so if I sum this up, this is the facts:

Correct?
    Yes...and

3. Prefer '_beginthreadex()' over the other ones to avoid running into problems with the C runtime...

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Masur
    3. Prefer '_beginthreadex()' over the other ones to avoid running into problems with the C runtime...
    Andeas, I remember reading about the benefits in Ricter's Advanced Windows a while back, but don't recall the details. Do you recall why _beginthreadex is preferable over _beginthread and CreateThread?

Arjay

Do you recall why _beginthreadex is preferable over _beginthread and CreateThread?
    That fact that it 'resembles the Win32 CreateThread API more closely than _beginthread does' is one reason.

A couple of points are listed under the remarks section here.

- petter

Thanks Wildfrog, I've been using _beginthreadex for so long now I didn't even think to look at the docs. Way back when, this info wasn't in the msdn documentation, I recalled it was only in Richter's book.

RTFM really does work <g>

Arjay

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay
    Andeas, I remember reading about the benefits in Ricter's Advanced Windows a while back, but don't recall the details. Do you recall why _beginthreadex is preferable over _beginthread and CreateThread?
    The reason behind this is simply that the C runtime library was first invented long before multithreading was available. Thus, it was designed as a single-threaded library. The problem is simply the usage of global variables and functions such as 'errno' and 'strtok()'. If you have a multithreaded application consisting of two threads that both call a runtime function and check 'errno' to verify the result, it might come to a deadlock:
    • The first thread calls the runtime function
    • Before it can check the global 'errno' variable, a context switch to the second thread occurs
    • The second thread also calls a runtime function
    • When the context switch occrus back to the first thread, the value of 'errno' rather reflects the result of the function call from the second thread

Thus, in order to work in multi-threaded environments, the runtime library needs to maintain these global variables local to each thread. And that is exactly what '_beginthreadex()' does. These variables are allocated into a specific area named thread-local storage. It provides a unique memory area for each thread in the system, thus, binding the global variables to this thread. The thread then knows how to retrieve these data and the above given example would work correctly since both the first and the second thread would have a separate global variable 'errno'. 'CreateThread()' does skip this initialization and thus, can cause some hard to find bugs in your code...
    Last edited by Andreas Masur; January 9th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks Andreas.

Thanks Andreas.
    You are welcome...

Red face Re: _beginthread vs CreateThread

Thanks Andreas.
    Yeah, thanks!

I've had some really wierd problems with one of the threads in my C project. Changing from CreateThread to _beginthreadex might wipe them out.

I've just hunted down a copy of Richter's "Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows (Dv-Mps General)" (the follow up of Advanced Windows). It was darn hard to get and it will probably takes months before it's delivered but it's about time that I get it. ;-)

Any other book on multi threading in Windows anyone could recommend?
    What about these?
    * Multi-Threaded Programming in C++ (Hardcover).
    * Multithreading Applications in Win32: The Complete Guide to Threads (Paperback).

Take a look at the following reviews of these books:

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Masur
    The reason behind this is simply that the C runtime library was first invented long before multithreading was available. Thus, it was designed as a single-threaded library. The problem is simply the usage of global variables and functions such as 'errno' and 'strtok()'. If you have a multithreaded application consisting of two threads that both call a runtime function and check 'errno' to verify the result, it might come to a deadlock:
    • The first thread calls the runtime function
    • Before it can check the global 'errno' variable, a context switch to the second thread occurs
    • The second thread also calls a runtime function
    • When the context switch occrus back to the first thread, the value of 'errno' rather reflects the result of the function call from the second thread

Thus, in order to work in multi-threaded environments, the runtime library needs to maintain these global variables local to each thread. And that is exactly what '_beginthreadex()' does. These variables are allocated into a specific area named thread-local storage. It provides a unique memory area for each thread in the system, thus, binding the global variables to this thread. The thread then knows how to retrieve these data and the above given example would work correctly since both the first and the second thread would have a separate global variable 'errno'. 'CreateThread()' does skip this initialization and thus, can cause some hard to find bugs in your code...

With a chance of starting to become bothersome ;-), I simply must ask this.

I found in a book extract on MSDN:

"_beginthread performs some of the internal initialization for a new thread that other C runtime functions, such as signal, depend on. The rule is consistency: If your program manipulates threads with C runtime functions, then use only C runtime functions wherever you have a choice. If your program uses Win32 functions with its threads, then stick to CreateThread and ExitThread. Also, if the thread calls C runtime functions, then create it with the C functions rather than the Win32 API. A few C routines require the initialization that _beginthread performs."

Does this mean that also beginthreadex is badly suited when using C and Win32 API calls??? Or is it only beginthread that is bad suited when using Win32 API calls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast