CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

IP Based SEVERLESS Chat..

I figured this would be a seperate thread to my Question..

Here it is, Simple.. Lots to do still. But the core is there..... Two Winsock Controls.. 1 For server level.. 1 for chat..

Best way to test is with a TCP/IP network and two Pc's..

Let Me know...

Enjoy...

Gremmy...

---- Edit ----
    Wow 10 Downloads....
    get the newer vrtion on a later post....
    Last edited by GremlinSA; January 29th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: IP Based SEVERLESS Chat..

Okay here is the next part..

The Core has been updated , more reliable... added so far is the private chatting, chat window scroll and wakeup calls.

I have a small problem with the Wake up call... I want to bring the app form to the front of the Z order( IE. Popup in front of everything with out staying on top..), but the API i'm using seems only to do it within the applications forms..

Things i still need to code...
    File transfers..
    Chat Colors.. I'm using a richtextbox to enable this feature...
    and a few things that are in Ver1 that i've already forgotten..

Hope you enjoy this...

Gremmy....

---- Edit -----

New file on later post... (4 Downloads)
    Last edited by GremlinSA; January 31st, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Okay Another Update, But still no comments ???

Has the Penut Gallery gone to sleep...

Someone must have something to say about it...

Anyways...

Fixes and updates...

1: Small bug in the User list showed only one user, Third forth etc werelogged on but not visible...

2: Primary Chat window scroll ( oops i only had it in the private chats)

3: File transfers are working... Still a little tempremental but comming along (I need comments on this please... )

Still to add

Timer on clients to check if server still online... and server to check if clients still online..

Color text....

And anything you may think of that is needed...

---- EDIT -----

New Version on later post... (15 Downloads..)
    Last edited by GremlinSA; February 8th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.

I like what you have done Gremmy...

I finally found some time to check it out. A few things I noticed... You can right click anywhere in the the box where the user's are, but if no one has actually been selected, none of the options work. Maybe include on right mouse click to select item as well.

Also, when I tried to use the private message feature, the window popped up, I typed my message, and hit send and got an error. Something to the lines of the host address cannot be found on the local address.(I will go back and get the exact error for ya) It's kind of hard for me though, because I can work and look at it in one office, but have to reply in another.

I think I could use the core of this to create exactly what I was looking for. I will need to create a seperate app for user's, and that app will have to be able to run in the background. I can't remember exactly how I did it... lost a program I had written a while back, but I would like to have it show up in the task bar's system tray.

Of course it would load on user log-in, but it would be invisible to them until we wanted to send a message. When we send a message, there form would become visible to show our message. And then of course have some kind of hide button from there.

Good work so far though Gremmy

EDIT Doh just realized I forgot to check the error message. Anyways I found some more things. It is not recognizing more that one workstation for me. Also weird, if I copy the exe from one machine to another...(I kind of moved things around for the user part to where they could only see the chat window), By hitting login, the IP comes up right, but it keeps the old machine name. And the last thing I noticed was that after exiting, there are still 4-6 processes running. Errors come much easier if you try to load the app again. Maybe try to kill all associated processes on exit??

Still like what you've done though, not sure yet whether to just keep the one I've done using NetSend and AD and what not, or try to work with yours some
    Last edited by Buddy008; February 7th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.

Buddy,
    If you want to work on multiple stations, I recommend ultravnc. You can get it at www.ultravnc.com

It can come in very handy. It has remote viewing and control, a file transfer utility for when you update your program and want to update the test machine, and if working over long distances, it has a chat function. This comes if very handy for testing apps on different machines.

Thanks sotoasty, I'm sure that will come in handy. However, I really can't use anything where I work now, because the machines are on different networks. That's really all I can say. I do use something sort of like this on one of the networks... Called Dameware. One of the best administrative tools out there.

Thanks for the report back.. I'm looking into it.. One thing that still quises me is the 4-6 processes... This was written as a single process app... (Multi form's yes) I've even written code to force close and unload all open forms.. Built each set of forms into an array to keep track of them.. and unload it when finished...

You need a setup like mine..
    My server is literealy next to my PC desk.. I turn and can use it ...

I will get back to you on this report...

Wink Re: IP Based SEVERLESS Chat..

Hey Gremmy,

A thought just came to me as I was reading the thread, how about
    AppActivate. I toyed with it when I was working on my bot that you were helping me with.

I am going to actually have time this weekend to see what you got going.

I bet I find it in there, but hey, it was worth a shot.

Intercepter

Well it's taken some time but here is a update...

Buddy, thanks for your report back.. I looked over it very carefully and tried to sort out each of the problems listed...

I still dont get the 4-6 processes.. But i've double cheched that everything is properly unloaded..

Bugs and additions..

Popup only pops up when a user is selected..

Custom text color's for each user online (Note that color selection is lost if the user goes ofline)

Sometimes users get lost (????) and wont be able to chat with out logging in again.. Added a lost user scavanging feature.. Also included is a Ping feature to test if all users are still online

If the "Server" does not reply to a ping,The first client to notice will take over as the server, and notify all users on its list.. I'm still looking into managing multiple "Server's" for full redundancy...

File sending is a little less tempramental.. still need's a bit of work there..

PVT messages seen to work 100% now...

Wake up call works!!! I think it may just be some systems that don't like it.. Testing on my wife's pc as a third user, She complaned about It poping up all the time (Every time i sent a wake up call). so it works, but in windows 2000 Server it does not popup infront????

the associated error With "host address cannot be found on the local address" should not occur any more, setup a few check to make sure that we are online and sending to a valid user... the error whould happen when the related winsock was not loaded..

Theres alot of redundancy built in to the app.

Give it a go...

Thanks

Gremmy......

------- Edit --------

New version on next post.. (11 Downloads, and no comments )
    Last edited by GremlinSA; February 14th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.

Well i've found a bit of time to fiddle some more on this little project..

B**** and additions..

A bug in the file tranfer caused it to cut out if the transfer took more than 30 seconds, The timer is now reset every time data is sent..

A lot of redundancy is built into the file transfer system, and now the transfer core is a lot less tempramental..

Added user modes, at the moment only Hidden user ( user is not added to user list, but still recieves all chats.. This effectivly blocks the users from sending files or privates chat requests..

Multiple file transfers caused a few problems, added a modeless msgbox to the application, now multiple file requests are handled properly..

I picked up a few minour errors during the application unload, (unfortunately always on the compiled copy.) and added a bit more checks for the unloading of forms..

some minor changes in the chat core..

I only hope that those who are downloading this application pop in every now and then to check for the updates.

Have Fun with this..

Gremmy..

----EDIT-----
    New file on next Post... (25 Downloads)..
    Last edited by GremlinSA; March 6th, 2006 at 09:15 AM.

Wow so many downloading the little app but still no comments..

Well Here we go with a nearly completed App..

B**** and Additions:..

Can't remember it there were any bugs, But i doubt it..

Added a System tray Icon, Ability to remove app from the task bar when Minimised.

Fine tuned the Pvt Chats.

Fine tuned the User colors..

Fine tuned the Hidden and Added Ignore..

Any thing more now whould be Purly cosmetic..

Can anyone give some hints and sugestions on usage over multiple Subnets and via Proxy Ports..

Thanks...

Gremmy...

---- Edit ----
    New File on later post (315 Downloads..)
    Last edited by GremlinSA; January 16th, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

Nice app , got some questions will it work over the internet not just on a home network?, you know anything about getting a program like this working through firewalls and routers?. I ask because im sick of slow messenger file trasferrs. I have some file trasffer code, but i havent tested it over the internet only on a network. Any suggestions before i give it a internet test?.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2189
    Nice app , got some questions will it work over the internet not just on a home network?, you know anything about getting a program like this working through firewalls and routers?. I ask because im sick of slow messenger file trasferrs. I have some file trasffer code, but i havent tested it over the internet only on a network. Any suggestions before i give it a internet test?.

Rich
    I'm looking into exactly the same thing..

My app only works on a single subnet at the moment..

Direct internet connection to Direct internet connection will work the same as a home network.. Only you need to supply the IP address, as DNS will not contain the ISP users current IP addy. And the two users may not be on the same subnet..

It will be a bit slower too, because of the Lag exprianced from moving a datapacket over multiple networks..

Ping times can give you a reasonable idea of this...

My main concern( and problem) is trying to connect Via Proxy and through Firewall's.. (these are not very UDP Packet friendly..)

Routers are not so much of a problem as you simply supply the Target IP address, and the router will foward the packet to the right subnet..

NAT is a different problem all together, Sometimes a NAT IP is static to specific user, somtimes NAT is supplied on a first request first use, or Single NAT IP to Multiple Users..

With firewalls you may need to unblock the Port address used, but some Admin's dont like to do this. So you need to shape your packet to use one of the available open ports on the firewall. This in tern leaves you with the problem of posibaly sending your file to a Inet Explorer, and it has no idea what your talking about.. ..

Most proxy's accept only one way port requests.. (Client to Inet) and regect and requests comming in via the net.. (Enabeling this can open the system up for Attacks and Hacker ghosting..)

All these problems are what i'm looking at while i'm writing this app.. and i may need to implement a TCP packet system for use oner the net..

Hope this info helps you with your problem

Gremmy..

Yep that was exactly what i was looking for, been trying to find some information on this for months. I gather it is a pretty hard task to acheive. Aparently msn messenger uses some kind of http thingy to send files. Havent been able to find much else out though. A general purpose sender would be brillaint. I suppose you could get some really fast speeds opening two sockets, maybe three (of course you would have to split the file into bits and put it back at the other end) and using a buffer as you suggested in another post. and finally Multithreading .

Rich

The method that MSN uses is actualy quite simple.. The source uploads like you upload files to Codeguru.. The target downloads files like you download from the net... (Obviously both happen at the same time and the MNS server handles all the nitty gritty of IP addresses)

And there is the reason for the Long delay in sending files.. the data passage is like this..

You - INET - MSN Server - INET - Your Buddy..

I'm working on this app to allow direct connections like this..

You - INET - Your Buddy..

But it's still far from that...

BTW. My next project is a chaching Proxy server. I may put this one aside until i finish the proxy server..

Gremmy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast