CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

IP Based SEVERLESS Chat..

I figured this would be a seperate thread to my Question..

Here it is, Simple.. Lots to do still. But the core is there..... Two Winsock Controls.. 1 For server level.. 1 for chat..

Best way to test is with a TCP/IP network and two Pc's..

Let Me know...

Enjoy...

Gremmy...

---- Edit ----
    Wow 10 Downloads....
    get the newer vrtion on a later post....
    Last edited by GremlinSA; January 29th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: IP Based SEVERLESS Chat..

Okay here is the next part..

The Core has been updated , more reliable... added so far is the private chatting, chat window scroll and wakeup calls.

I have a small problem with the Wake up call... I want to bring the app form to the front of the Z order( IE. Popup in front of everything with out staying on top..), but the API i'm using seems only to do it within the applications forms..

Things i still need to code...
    File transfers..
    Chat Colors.. I'm using a richtextbox to enable this feature...
    and a few things that are in Ver1 that i've already forgotten..

Hope you enjoy this...

Gremmy....

---- Edit -----

New file on later post... (4 Downloads)
    Last edited by GremlinSA; January 31st, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Okay Another Update, But still no comments ???

Has the Penut Gallery gone to sleep...

Someone must have something to say about it...

Anyways...

Fixes and updates...

1: Small bug in the User list showed only one user, Third forth etc werelogged on but not visible...

2: Primary Chat window scroll ( oops i only had it in the private chats)

3: File transfers are working... Still a little tempremental but comming along (I need comments on this please... )

Still to add

Timer on clients to check if server still online... and server to check if clients still online..

Color text....

And anything you may think of that is needed...

---- EDIT -----

New Version on later post... (15 Downloads..)
    Last edited by GremlinSA; February 8th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.

I like what you have done Gremmy...

I finally found some time to check it out. A few things I noticed... You can right click anywhere in the the box where the user's are, but if no one has actually been selected, none of the options work. Maybe include on right mouse click to select item as well.

Also, when I tried to use the private message feature, the window popped up, I typed my message, and hit send and got an error. Something to the lines of the host address cannot be found on the local address.(I will go back and get the exact error for ya) It's kind of hard for me though, because I can work and look at it in one office, but have to reply in another.

I think I could use the core of this to create exactly what I was looking for. I will need to create a seperate app for user's, and that app will have to be able to run in the background. I can't remember exactly how I did it... lost a program I had written a while back, but I would like to have it show up in the task bar's system tray.

Of course it would load on user log-in, but it would be invisible to them until we wanted to send a message. When we send a message, there form would become visible to show our message. And then of course have some kind of hide button from there.

Good work so far though Gremmy

EDIT Doh just realized I forgot to check the error message. Anyways I found some more things. It is not recognizing more that one workstation for me. Also weird, if I copy the exe from one machine to another...(I kind of moved things around for the user part to where they could only see the chat window), By hitting login, the IP comes up right, but it keeps the old machine name. And the last thing I noticed was that after exiting, there are still 4-6 processes running. Errors come much easier if you try to load the app again. Maybe try to kill all associated processes on exit??

Still like what you've done though, not sure yet whether to just keep the one I've done using NetSend and AD and what not, or try to work with yours some
    Last edited by Buddy008; February 7th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.

Buddy,
    If you want to work on multiple stations, I recommend ultravnc. You can get it at www.ultravnc.com

It can come in very handy. It has remote viewing and control, a file transfer utility for when you update your program and want to update the test machine, and if working over long distances, it has a chat function. This comes if very handy for testing apps on different machines.

Thanks sotoasty, I'm sure that will come in handy. However, I really can't use anything where I work now, because the machines are on different networks. That's really all I can say. I do use something sort of like this on one of the networks... Called Dameware. One of the best administrative tools out there.