CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: IP Based SEVERLESS Chat..

Thats odd cause i was just thinking about trying to implement something like that in PHP, the person uploads the file then when the other user logs onto the website he will be able to download it. Bit like email i supose, but since its slow ill keep looking into the person to person thing. Whats a chaching Proxy server?

Rich

It's simply a Proxy server that chache's the sites that are requested.. Very usefull for Capped broadband,

for a better explination read this description.. I think it covers everything..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

After a long time of on the shelf i've started to further the usability of this application.

Bug Fixes:

Well None, everything has been very stable and no one has reported anything..

Additions:

Remote Sub-Net searching: I've added quite a lot of code to enable two users on seperate subnets to connect. one user needs to enter a ip address or even the subnet address (ie 196.23.0.0) and the proggy will connect, Users on both subnets will now be able to communicate with each other.

Note: As i do not have access to a multi subnet network, I have as yet been unable to fully test the functionability, but prelim tests show that this feature works as expected.. Any and all feedback on this will be greatlly apreciated..

Gremmy..

---- EDIT ----
    New download on later post... (13 Downloads) (and lots of feed back - Thanks)
    Last edited by GremlinSA; February 2nd, 2007 at 03:29 AM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

I get an error on this line when running the application.

Code:
    Load Icon_Form - Variable not defined.
    Edit: That form wasn't included when I opened the project file, so it works now.

When clicking login

Code:
    ReDim Preserve Buffer(Tmp_Total + Tmp_Add) - Supscript out of range.
    Last edited by Rich2189; January 17th, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
    Rich

Visual Studio 2010 Professional | Windows 7 (x64)
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2189
    I get an error on this line when running the application.

Code:
    ReDim Preserve Buffer(Tmp_Total + Tmp_Add) - Supscript out of range.
    The code does have error trapping, I think you may have "Break on all errors" selected in error trapping.. Change it to "Break on Unhandled errors" then it should work ok..

Gremmy...

Where abouts is that option in the IDE?
    Rich

Ubuntu

The option is under Tools - Options - General (tab) - Error trap

Gremmy....

yep works now, though exiting the application seems impossible. Every time I press exit it reloads .

Reminds me, I need to look into sending data across the internet.
    Rich

Ubuntu

This is a wierd one ... I've DBL checked all the code, I wrap up every thing, Close all open sub forms, even unload the systray icon.

Rich.. if you have the time could you please debug this one for me... Obviously theres something very different on your system...

Gremmy..

I can't seem to recreate the problem, who knows what I managed to do last time. Well at least it all works fine now. Just a small note for the login screen, is there meant to be a space at the preceding of the port number?

I've been looking at sending messages over the internet and it seems you need a dedicated server application on a computer that can accept requests from outside systems. Unless all the users are prepared to adjust there LAN IP filtering.
    Rich

Ubuntu

The space in the port number is a by product of Str([number]), and is actually the place holder for the sign. It has no effect on the application..

The problem here is the ip filtering, most systems will allow a outgoing port request, and let back in the reply, but will block any incomming requests.. This is one of the problems faced with this application...

This is meant to be serverless, so i dont want to write a seperate Server application. I'm trying to change the face of over the net chat applications. No server = No way to stop the chat..

Take MSN for instance.. put the MSN server offline and milions of ppl cannot chat.. but if you go serverless there is no way to stop the chat...

Think about it... Almost everything we work on runs on some or other server.. Land Line Telephones (An exchange), Cell phones (an exchange), Internet (ISP's).

And now look at travel... if you want to visit a friend that stays a few blocks away, you dont travel to the center of town, stop off at a "Library" and look up his address, then travel back along most of the same road to his house..

I feel that internet chat shoud go the same way... If you know the address, why must you allways pass through a server(the Library) to chat to your mate..

Lets look at our analogy again: what happens if the "Library" is closed for some reason, now you cannot visit your mate, even if he is at home. But in reality you know where he stays because you were there before, so you go to his place directly, chat app's need to go the same way: Well atleast thats the way i feel...

Gremmy...

Hope I'm not too late, joining the show.
    I rather like what I can see so far, but I do not seem to have ntsvc.ocx on my machine and am not able to find it at MSDN as was claimed somewhere.

Could you explain what that thingy is for?

ntsvc.ocx is an ActiveX control that allows a vb 6 Program to run as a service. That way when you start your machine, the program is running even if you are not logged on to the system.

I only use it to put a icon and popup menu in the system tray... (i personally dont like app's that just load themselves as a service) and is freely available for download on www.andreavb.com..

Personal note: It is a vital part of the app, so that we can free up space on the taskbar, Get access to anything in the Chats at any time, and makes it easy to locate.

Gremmy..

Thank you. Got it.

Ok, now I click Login and get an error in the buffer class
    In Add_2_Buffer
    ReDim Preserve Buffer(Tmp_Total + Tmp_Add) gives the error.
    Tmp_Total is 1, Tmp_Add is -2, redimming on a negative value...

Looks great, Gremmy. I'm eager to try it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast