CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Printing material from a MySQL database

My Web site uses a MySQL database to display its products. The site is programmed in PHP (someone else did the programming).

I want to use the information in this database to produce a printed catalog to distribute to my customers. I am NOT a programmer, but I do have a bit of experience with SQL commands in general.

Also, I do not have any programming packages (VB, C, and so forth) set up on my computer, nor do I run PHP on my local machine.

Can someone suggest a relatively easy way to write a reasonably simple program (with the few tools I have available) to generate the catalog that I can print out?

Thanks in advance!
    Susan Ross Moore
    Assistant Editor
    Jupitermedia.com

Serving www.codeguru.com and www.developer.com.

Re: Printing material from a MySQL database

Hello Susan, what tools do you have?

Does your website have a function where you can download the information as a MS Word, or MS Excel, or CSV file, etc..? If it does, then at least you would have something to work on using your local machine. Just my 2 cents.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Although I don't use MySQL, you could probably use the MYSQL browser to execute the query that will get the data you want and then copy that data in excel. Do formatting in the excel and then print it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Actually, I'm moving the site to a new hosting service -- one more chore to get done soon -- so I'm not sure what tools they provide for the database. I'll look into it as soon as the move is complete.

I have about a month to get a catalog together, but I don't want to wait until the last minute.
    Susan Ross Moore
    Assistant Editor
    Jupitermedia.com

Serving www.codeguru.com and www.developer.com.