CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

The Genographic Project

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Genographic Project, bu this is one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken, that will reveal us the greatest story ever told: the migration of man on earth back to the common origin.

Let me fill you in with some insights, so that perhaps, we can discus about it.

Humans have 46 chromosomes, in 23 pairs. Two of the chromosomes are sexual chromosomes called X and Y. Women have 2 X chromosomes and man have a X and a Y. Ovules carry a X chromosome and sperm either X or Y. A pair of XX will create a female, a pair of XY will create a male. Thus, the Y chromosome is transmited from father to son (only) unaltered. Just as the way the Y chromosome is passed unaltered from father to son, mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is passed unaltered from mother to daugther. However, once in a while a mutation appears. When this mutation is transmited to descendants it becomes a marker. Studying the markers geneticists can identify family relations.

The Genographic Project will collect DNA samples from 100,000 men around the globe (anyone can donate DNA samples, you just have to order a kit). Analizing the markers of the Y chormosomes they will identify relations of the groups of population and corelating the data with info from other fields such as archeology, antropology, linguistics, etc. will create a map of the migrations of populations back to the origins.

Last evening, NG channel broadcasted a documentary about the project and the conclusions they drew so far. It seems that all men that live today, bear this marker in the Y chromosome, that dates back to 60,000 years ago. In other words, all the men that live today were fathered by one single male, a scientific Adam, that lived somewhere in Africa in the area of the Great Rift (Kenya or Tanzania). Of course, there were other men that lived in that time, but their genealogy perished. It's interesting how genetics has recreated the story of Adam (present in many religions around the world).

Here are recent news from the latest NG Magazine edition.

PS: the official site of the project (you have the link at the beginning) offers some interesting information.

Also there in an interesting site called GeneBase.
    Last edited by cilu; March 20th, 2006 at 04:36 PM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: The Genographic Project

Nitpick: everyone (male and female) gets their mtDNA from their mother. There's also a mitochondrial Eve (who lived some 10,000 years away - after, I think - from Y Adam). Also, mutations are not really "once in a while" events. Everyone has, on average, about 100 mutations, compared with their parental DNA.
    Correct is better than fast. Simple is better than complex. Clear is better than cute. Safe is better than insecure.
    --
    Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards

Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.

--
    Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman

The cheapest, fastest and most reliable components of a computer system are those that aren't there.
    -- Gordon Bell

You seem to find some interesting articles Cilu.
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

the result is, we're from a common African ancestor 60 000 years ago...is the fossil is the human shape or ape-shape?...they don't state that in their website...

...???...
    ...don't blame me...when I smell nicc 'o' tyne...
    ...friends are like bras: close to your heart and there for support..

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Nitpick: everyone (male and female) gets their mtDNA from their mother. There's also a mitochondrial Eve (who lived some 10,000 years away - after, I think - from Y Adam). Also, mutations are not really "once in a while" events. Everyone has, on average, about 100 mutations, compared with their parental DNA.
    Obviously. I was refering to mutations in the Y chromosome, the one that does not have a pair to combine with.

Quote Originally Posted by deniz
    You seem to find some interesting articles Cilu.
    Thanks. I'm glad you find them interesting.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Interesting, I did remember watching a NG series where they trace back the common anchestor back to the african.

But I hate it when most of this scientists exagerate this without no proof or scientific evidence, most of them holds to a pice of bone/fossil and telling me how this 10000 year old man lived his life... anyway, I guess I'm going off topic..
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

Thumbs up Re: The Genographic Project

Its amazing.. cool Cilu... Intresting facts
    It takes seconds for rating…that actually compensates the minutes taken for giving answers
    The biggest guru-mantra is: Never share your secrets with anybody. It will destroy you.
    Regards, Be generous->Rate people
    Jayender!!

Agree with Graham. All homo sapiens sapiens descend from one Eve who lived about 10,000 years ago somewhere in south of Africa. However, it's hard to believe and it's not fair to consider that homo sapiens neanderthalis simply disappeared when homo sapiens sapiens arrived in Europe with better bows. Of course the two civilizations interacted and mixed their genes.
    Without an expansive genetic analysis, but given the color of hair, everybody can see in what category is:
    • black hair: 100% homo sapiens sapiens
    • brun hair: 75% homo sapiens sapiens - 25% homo sapiens neanderthalis
    • red hair: 25% homo sapiens sapiens - 75% homo sapiens neanderthalis
    • blond hair: 100% homo sapiens neanderthalis

Last edited by ovidiucucu; March 26th, 2006 at 10:54 AM.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Everyone has, on average, about 100 mutations
    Oh, I think we all know one special Singaporian Army Dude who has this number beat by a long shot

I miss this on NG, thanks for that link cilu.
    *** Con Tu Adios, Te Llevas, Mi Corazon***

Traveling Encoder...

Quote Originally Posted by ideru
    I miss this on NG, thanks for that link cilu.
    I'm sure there will be some re-runs.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    I'm sure there will be some re-runs.
    yeah probably, but unfortunately i dont have a cable here , unless i can watch it online

Traveling Encoder...

Where are you? Ellesmera?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

yeah Ellesmera

seriously .. Japan

Traveling Encoder...