CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Adding Graphics to a game... Im a n00b

I want to know how to add graphics into a game. If anyone here knows about the game called "Hit the Ball", thats the type of game I want to create, and I want to know how to make something like it. Hit the Ball is basically just a sprite of a ball and some walls, and I want to know how to make it so the ball bounces off the walls and if you click on the ball, your score goes up by 1. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance all that help.

Re: Adding Graphics to a game... Im a n00b

You just divided by zero, didn't you?

What does that site have on it?

Quote Originally Posted by =Braxus=
    What does that site have on it?
    Check it out
    its a site about game development. here's some more

Flipcode - game development
    steps on How to develop a game
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

Hi,
    Adding graphics is OS dependent, so if for example you use MS-Windows you can use graphics libraries such as Win32 or MFC. Or you may use DirectX or OpenGL(the latter is also supposed to be platform independent). You may want to check the articles in www.codeguru.com and www.codeproject.com.

Panayotis
    Extreme situations require extreme measures

I recommend to start simple, GDI for example, try "Hit the Ball" in a MFC dialog-based application and draw everything with GDI calls.

Lol, like I said, im a total noob, and yes, i want to start very simple, so what are GDI calls?

GDI stands for Grafics Device Interface, it's a set of function calls that windows use to draw it's well windows. but since you are complite noob I recomend that you don't use that, but take a look at this site www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/ , it's one of the better library out there. It's really easy to use, and comes with about 30-40 examples on how to do everything, from drawing balls, and lines, to mixing it with DirectX to provide 3D grafics.
    You just divided by zero, didn't you?

allegro, in my opinion is bad.

starting as a newbie and learning stuff with simple libs wont get you anywhere.

isuggest you first look at a WinAPI tutorial to understand how making a window works. than i suggest you either take a look at DirectDraw or if you really want to start 3D immediatly i suggest OpenGL. OpenGL is not that hard! Direct3D or DirectGraphics are just a pain in the ***. and opengl also appears to be faster.

also i suggest NOT to use MFC!! escpecialy for when creating games, stay away from it, its just a WinAPI wrapper and only teaches how to use mfc and not winapi itself.