CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: C++ and states

C++ and states

hi friends
    Can we say that class/objects in C++ implicitly supports state based programmming?
    Vikrams

Re: C++ and states

state based programming ???? clarify your question plz
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

well let me explain,
    Say I have a class

Class SunLight{
    public:
    bool state;
    void set_state(bool state_value)
    {
    state=state_value;
    }
    };

Here I am have function which changes the data member value of my class. So in general I am changing the state of my class.

in C language I can do same using procedure programming but where I need to explicly declare and hold/preserve variables and manuipulate by passing those variables to function.I think this extra burden on programmer.

finally Such kind of implementation can ne implemented as shown above in C++ using classes. So can we say that for state based system my class are useful and efficient, hence the argument "C++ classes implicilty supports state based programming".
    Vikrams

You are correct.

Objects, or classes, can hold a particular state, and, I'm probably sticking my neck out here by saying this, but encapsulation, ie. the parts of the class that you wish to hide from other classes, ideally promotes a state based architecture.

Hope that helps.
    I don't mind that you think slowly but I do mind that you are publishing faster than you think. Wolfgang Pauli, physicist, Nobel laureate (1900-1958)