CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Re: Happy Birthday gstercken

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Only missing on the guest list: Some CodeGuru member from the Middle of Nowhere...
    True, true.

Yes, but something was wrong with them: They kept getting empty in very short time...
    Maybe because they're called chandelier glasses??
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Happy Birthday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    Maybe because they're called chandelier glasses??
    Almost... The real problem have been the circular openings on the upper surface of the glasses, allowing the liquid to escape when the former were inclined... And all of us have been so much inclined to let this happen during the evening.

Here's another picture of Marius and Sid, preparing to demonstrate the technique:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Finally, here's a last one (for the moment) showing Sid and me at the Markthalle (the Stuttgart covered market), taken on Saturday morning:

@Ashwin: So far, my sister sent me only a few pictures via e-mail, the rest will be following on a CD through snail mail. But anyway, her photos got somewhat dark since her flashlight was malfunctioning - Sid's pictures are much better. (BTW, we're still curious to know what happened to you the next day?)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gstercken; May 9th, 2006 at 07:42 PM.

Here's another picture of Marius and Sid, preparing to demonstrate the technique:
    Hmmm, from the looks of the photo... they're already quite adept in using that technique.

I noticed though, that they were holding smaller glasses compared with the ones they're holding here. I guess, I am just amazed that glasses of that size are actually used for drinking wine (referring to the linked pic).

Finally, here's a last one (for the moment) showing Sid me at the Markthalle (the Stuttgart covered market), taken on Saturday morning:
    Nice. I finally see a photo of you looking at the camera.
    Last edited by cherish; May 9th, 2006 at 06:24 PM. Reason: excessive use of the word 'photo'
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Hmmm, from the looks of the photo... they're already quite adept in using that technique.
    Yes, I can absolutely confirm that...
    I noticed though, that they were holding smaller glasses compared with the ones they're holding here. I guess, I am just amazed that glasses of that size are actually used for drinking wine (referring to the linked pic).
    Depends on the type of wine. The one Marius is holding on the first picture (which must actually have been taken later) is used for more bold and assertive wines, like Amarone della Valpolicella (in this case).

Depends on the type of wine. The one Marius is holding on the first picture (which must actually have been taken later) is used for more bold and assertive wines, like Amarone della Valpolicella (in this case).
    I just have to ask: why are bigger glasses used for bold and assertive wines?

// Sorry for going off-topic.

I just have to ask: why are bigger glasses used for bold and assertive wines?
    They allow the heavier aromas of those more robust red wines to circulate better, and, at the same time, enable the wine to breathe (get some oxygen). Actually, there's a whole science (and a lot of exaggerated hype going on) about the correct form of wine glasses.

// Sorry for going off-topic.
    Well, for the moment, you're pretty well on-topic...

They allow the heavier aromas of those more robust red wines to circulate better, and, at the same time, enable the wine to breathe (get some oxygen). Actually, there's a whole science (and a lot of exaggerated hype going on) about the correct form of wine glasses.
    Interesting. I've always wondered why there are different kinds of wine glasses, of different shapes and sizes.

So, is it really necessary to let the wine breathe before drinking it? Why?
    EDIT: I guess Wiki again answers (in part) my question... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_glass

// I thought, since this is a b-day thread and not a wine thread... my question(s) is/are off-topic.
    Last edited by cherish; May 9th, 2006 at 07:02 PM.

So, is it really necessary to let the wine breathe before drinking it?
    Not generally, but the more old and important a (red) wine is, the more it usually gains from "breathing" before drinking it. The bouquet and the aromatic complexity start developing under the influence of oxygen. It's much the same as with a perfume, which unfolds most its fragrance not when you inhale it from the opened bottle, but only when you spread it on your skin.
    EDIT: I guess Wiki again answers (in part) my question... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_glass
    Yes, that article pretty much sums it up...
    // I thought, since this is a b-day thread and not a wine thread... my question(s) is/are off-topic.
    Birthday and wine... A topical continuum...

Not generally, but the more old and important a (red) wine is, the more it usually gains from "breathing" before drinking it. The bouquet and the aromatic complexity start developing under the influence of oxygen. It's much the same as with a perfume, which unfolds most its fragrance not when you inhale it from the opened bottle, but only when you spread it on your skin.
    Put that way, I understand clearly now. Nice analogy.

It's much the same as with a perfume, which unfolds most its fragrance not when you inhale it from the opened bottle, but only when you spread it on your skin.
    And just to avoid possible misunderstandings: No, we didn't spread the wine on our skins that night.

And just to avoid possible misunderstandings: No, we didn't spread the wine on our skins that night.
    I never thought of it that way... but it's good you clarified.
    Last edited by cherish; May 9th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

So, is it really necessary to let the wine breathe before drinking it? Why?

wow, very interesting so drinking a wine in an ordinary glass/tumbler can destroy its taste?

you three seems to be enjoying yourselves nice pics guys
    *** Con Tu Adios, Te Llevas, Mi Corazon***

Traveling Encoder...

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    PS: Here's a good-looking, proud dad showing a gift from his children off...
    I see Balzac and Mann (Der Zauberberg?) in the background. Unusual reading habits for a techie.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast