dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Lnk1202

Lnk1202

I am getting the following error while compiling a project in a workspace.

fatal error LNK1202: "C:\product\GUI\Widgets\SafetyEventLine\Modules\vc60.pdb" is missing debugging information for referencing module

my project contains following options:
    /nologo /MD /W3 /Gm /GR /GX /Zi /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_USRDLL" /D "_UNICODE" /D "NDEBUG" /Fp"Modules/SafetyEventLine.pch" /Yu"stdafx.h" /Fo"Modules/" /Fd"Modules/" /FD /Zm300 /c

Re building the project has not helped

regards
    Last edited by naylak; May 12th, 2006 at 10:02 AM.

Re: Lnk1202

Please provide your linker option also

Vinod

The linker options are:

kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib /nologo /subsystem:windows /dll /incremental:no /pdb:"Module
    s/SafetyEventLine.pdb" /debug /machine:I386 /def:".\SafetyEventLine.def" /out:"Modules/SafetyEventLine.dll" /implib:"Modules/SafetyEventLine.lib"

I've had this same problem ,when I activated debugging information.

I have 2 projects that shares DLL and pieces of code, one works fine with debuging, the other gives me this LNK1202 error :

From msdn :

First about /ZI

Both /Zi and /ZI : " Program Database Produces a program database (PDB) that contains type information and symbolic debugging information for use with the debugger. "

"/Zi The symbolic debugging information includes the names and types of variables, as well as functions and line numbers. "

"/ZI Program Database for "Edit & Continue" Produces a program database, as described above, in a format that supports the Edit and Continue feature. If you want to use Edit and Continue debugging, you must use this option. Use of the /ZI switch will disable any #pragma optimize statements in your code. "

from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/fr...d.2c_2f.Zi.asp

one the the project has the linking option
    /pdb:"MonProjet/MonProjet.pdb"
    and my second project has :
    /pdb:"MySecondProject/MySecondProject.pdb"

and this has been generated by ticking the checkbox "Settings of the project / Link tab / Customize cathegory / Use program database"

The solution to this problem was simple, but hard to find since VC++ error messages are meaningless!

I used a third party library called cppunit for my unit-testing. I got it pre-compiled in my project, and liked it as it was.
    A part of this lib is TypeInfoHelper
    When linking, it tried to used the debuging information of all my modules, and couldn't fing debuging information for TypeInfoHelper.obj anywhere, and not even in vc60.pdb, so here was the error :

MySecondProjectd.lib(TypeInfoHelper.obj) : fatal error LNK1202: "D:\PATH\TO\MY\PROJECT\MySecondProjectd\Release\vc60.pdb" is missing debugging information for referencing module

the solution was to recompile my (open-source) lib with the correct debugging information. (not an easy task)