CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] XAML and VC++?

Hi,

I would like to know if XAML will be supported for VC++ projects in 'Orcas' or any other future version of Visual Studio. I understand that the biggest reason behind the fact XAML is not currently supported in VC++ projects is that there's no full CodeDOM support to convert XAML to C++/CLI. The fact VC++ does not support partial classes is also an issues, but it can be solver by using x:Subclass attribute. So, do you have any plans in this direction?

Thank you.
    Last edited by cilu; June 18th, 2006 at 06:08 AM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: XAML and VC++?

Hi,

We will not have direct support for the XAML designers in the Orcas release. We are looking at support for releases after that and it will mostly depend on customer demand. I.e. on the issue on whether customers prefer using C++ or C# for that specific part of their code.

Of course neither for the 8.0 or the Orcas release or beyond does this preclude using XAML in a C++ application. Look at Nick Kramer's blog for some ways on how to do this here: (using Parser.LoadXml)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/nickkramer/arc...28/474674.aspx

Ronald Laeremans
    Acting Product Unit Manager
    Visual C++ Team

Re: XAML and VC++?

Yes, I am aware of the ways of by-passing this (dynamically loading XAML at runtime using XamlReader or creating a C# control library for XAML and writing a C++/CLI project that uses the XAML control). However, I was hoping for a direct and easy way, using the designers.

Thanks.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.