CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

An annoying VC++ 2005 IDE bug, I have to restart VC

I am in class view and a class is selected the bottom pane in class view shows the functions and member variables. Now this bottom pane gets refreshed periodically all the time at times and completely slows down the IDE. Most of the time I had to restart VC++ to get rid of this situation.

I have installled SP1 in hope they would resolve this issue but it is still there.

Is there any solution to this? That would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Re: An annoying VC++ 2005 IDE bug, I have to restart VC

I think what you are seeing is VS2005 updating the intellisense information. Anytime you modify the class (especially the .h file), intellisense needs to be updated.

This update runs in a separate thread, and with VS2005, intellisens is MUCH smarter than it was in previous versions. This has been accomplished (according to what I heard from Microsoft) by implementing the intellisense as a "mini-compiler".

What that means is that the code you changed in going through a mini-compile to determine all the needed information (dependencies, etc) to provide you with a resonably accurate intellisense.

There isn't a solution, as this is the intended behaviour. (You'll also notice this happen if you change from a Debug to a Release build.)

Hope that helps.
    Be sure to rate those who help!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Karl - WK5M
    PP-ASEL-IA (N43CS)
    PGP Key: 0xDB02E193
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 8F06 5A2E 2735 892B 821C 871A 0411 94EA DB02 E193

I seem to remember there is a way to turn off intellisense. However, most people put up with the incovenience for the trade-offs that it provides.
    Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!

IntelliSense is great (but not evil) and I think this issue is a bug.

It just keep refershing the class selected in classview for a really long time and slows down IDE miserably. If you leave it like this for like 10 minutes, it will come to stable condition. I don't think this 10 minute stabalazation time could be by design.

I was hoping microsoft will fix this in one of the Service Packs but still no fix.

Is there any workaround? like in VC++6 when the class used to disappear from classview. edit its .h file and it appeared again. Something like that?

It is very convenient.

Try to close your solution and delete its .ncb file (check its size first - is it very big?).
    This might help.
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirF
    Try to close your solution and delete its .ncb file (check its size first - is it very big?).
    This might help.
    That sounds helpful! Yes the file was in fact big, over 26MB, I deleted it and the new one created is now 11KB(updated). So far so good, I will come back if does that again.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by zspirit; June 1st, 2007 at 09:48 AM.

It keeps comming. The newly created ncb file was only 11KB after few builds it is now over 6MB and the same problem persist all the way. A lot of refershing and flickering going on in the bottom pane of classview.

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Harnad
    I seem to remember there is a way to turn off intellisense. However, most people put up with the incovenience for the trade-offs that it provides.
    The undocumented way to turn off intellisnse is, search for feacp.dll, it will be found in <VS root path>\VC\vcpackages\feacp.dll, rename or delete this file.

Doing so will not affect visual asset (if one is using), ususally when the .ncb file grow large, intellisense goes nutts like consuming 100% CPU.

Moreover, take a look at this

[ Redirected thread ]