CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h

Hi,

I am attempting to build Borland C++ 4.5 code on the VC++6.0 environment.

For a set of files I attempt to compile after creating a workspace, I get the following set of errors-
    Code:
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such file or directory
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'string.h': No such file or directory
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'string.h': No such file or directory
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'fstream.h': No such file or directory
    fatal error C1083:Cannot open include file: 'process.h': No such file or directory
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'time.h': No such file or directory
    I have looked through the internet and as per the general solution to these sort of issues have done the following-

Change #include <iostream.h> to #include <iostream>
    Add "using namespace std;" below the #include statements.

Despite doing the above, I still get errors like -
    Code:
    fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream': No such file or directory
    The header files (both iostream.h and iostream) do exist in my machine and the path is specified in the Tools->Options->directories->Include files section.

Can someone please share your suggestions on a possible solution ?

Re: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h

Check if "Ignore standard include path" is checked in project settings->C++->preprocessor
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Quote Originally Posted by humble_learner
    The header files (both iostream.h and iostream) do exist in my machine and the path is specified in the Tools->Options->directories->Include files section.

Can someone please share your suggestions on a possible solution ?
    First, do not use <iostream.h> even if it exists on your system. You should be using the standard header, <iostream>.

Second, your include path settings are probably incorrect, and you should consult your compiler's documentation on how to set the compiler's include path correctly.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Normally these files should automatically be put into your path when you install your compiler. V6.0 is rather old though, you should consider an upgrade.

Thumbs up Re: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h

dont forget to add using namespace std;
    It takes seconds for rating…that actually compensates the minutes taken for giving answers
    The biggest guru-mantra is: Never share your secrets with anybody. It will destroy you.
    Regards, Be generous->Rate people
    Jayender!!

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

The include path specified in the Tools/Options/Directories/Include is correct.

I tried using #include<iostream> with "using namespace std" but the problem remained.

The customer expects the porting from BC++ to VC++6.0 and hence have no other option but to user VC++6.0

I checked the "ignore standard path" option in preprocessor settings but the problem remained.

I see no reason why this problem should come, is it possible to post the project here ?
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Quote Originally Posted by jayender.vs
    dont forget to add using namespace std;
    as long as it's not in a header file, and it's often preferable to not add that in a source file either.

If all you are using is cout and endl you can do:
    Code:
    using std::cout;
    using std::endl;
    And that would be reasonably acceptable in a header file in this instance as it's unlikely anyone would define cout and endl to mean anything else. (Don't apply this rule in general though).

In a header file you can often include <iosfwd> rather than <iostream>.

Resolved Re: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h

I am sorry for the oversight. Krishnaa's solution worked. I might have made some other mistake in my hurry to get things working.

The errors were gone when I compiled once again after checking
    the [Ignore standard include paths ] check box in the C/C++ - Preprocessor option.

What does checking of the option actually do to solve such errors ?

Thanks for your time.

VC++ uses Environment variables like Include , Lib. These variables represent the paths for respective files.
    In your case these variables must have been modified/corrupted/removed, causing the problem reported.
    You can confirm this by looking at Environment Variables in System properties, Right click on "My Computer"->Advanced Tab ->Environment Variables button.

See if include, lib, MSDevDir etc. are there and have proper values.

You will have to reinstall(completly uninstall and install again) VC++ in order to get them back. You can manually assign values but reinstall is easy.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar