CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No need for SP2 with VB2005 express?

This is a bit off topic, but it could change the programming environment.
    It took a few minutes to find out that by altering the "vs_setup.pdi" file, you can eliminate the requirement for XP(SP2)!

My question is: In what way COULD this cause the IDE, or code to fail in some way?

So far I have not seen any problems, but wonder if someone knows a scenario where it could.

Re: No need for SP2 with VB2005 express?

If you could post or e-mail me the changes so I can bypass the SP2 requirement I would appreciate it. I have tried 3 times to install SP2 and each time my Explorerer won't work after the install and I have to remove it. It is very frustrating since now I have to have a second computer to run VS 2005.

Thanks
    Roger

TT(n) - Thanx for sharing that! I've also always been under the impression that SP 2 is needed.

I would also love to get more info on this!

Thanx,
    Hannes

Thanks for the replies, and rep points!

That link states my point exactly. Thanks!

First copy the cd into a folder ofcourse.
    {Or later make new CD without certain lines in the vs_setup.pdi file.}
    Install the windowsintaller 3.1, and .NETframework 2.0 separately.
    Then configure the "vs_setup.pdi" file.

I should recheck this to make sure it's right.
    I'll repost with confirmation, or an edit.

Last edited by TT(n); July 24th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.

Thumbs up [RESOLVED]Re: No need for SP2 with VB2005 express?

By changing the "vs_setup.pdi" to this configuration, will bypass SP2 requiremtents. It will not bypass SQL server express requirement however.

Code:
    [Version]
    Signature = "$Windows NT$"
    Provider="Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition - ENU"
    Version=800.100.00
    NullString=Null String
    BootstrapperURL=fwlink/?LinkId=51405
    NewVersionURL=fwlink/?linkid=33829
    Lang=1033
    AdminModeSupported=1              ' set to 1
    [Complete Component List]
    GFN_MID IA64block
    'GFN_MID Windows XP SP2              delete this line
    GFN_MID Win2k SP4
    GFN_MID Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 1
    GFN_MID Windows Installer 3.1
    GFN_MID Internet Explorer 6.0
    GFN_MID Framework
    GFN_MID Framework AMD64
    GFN_MID VS RDBG Lite x64
    GFN_MID VS RDBG Lite IA64
    GFN_Client_MSI
    GFN_MID Msdnexp
    GFN_MID BITS Service
    GFN_MID SSE x86
    GFN_MID SSE x64

[CompleteDependencyList]
    gencomp95
    gencomp7
    'gencomp6                            delete this line
    gencomp8
    gencomp90
    gencomp13
    gencomp18
    gencomp27
    gencomp73
    gencomp74
    vs_setup.dll
    gencomp30
    gencomp33
    gencomp96
    gencomp31

[Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition - ENU]
    gencomp95
    gencomp7
    'gencomp6                        delete this line
    gencomp8
    gencomp90
    gencomp13
    gencomp18
    gencomp27
    gencomp73
    gencomp74
    vs_setup.dll
    gencomp30
    gencomp33
    gencomp31
    gencomp96
    The SQL server configuration is similar, but I forget what I did off hand.
    The first time, I deleted all occurances of gencomp6, and SP2. Which bypassed it for SQL. If anyone wants more details, I still have the original configuration saved, which I'll have to compare with the original CD.

RESOLVED
    Last edited by TT(n); July 24th, 2006 at 09:10 PM.

Re: [RESOLVED]Re: No need for SP2 with VB2005 express?

Service Packs are there for a reason. And moreover it does not cost anything to have one installed on your system. Just take a look at what SP2 for XP does update in your system.

I would strongly suggest to have SP2 installed on the system even if you are not going to use Visual Studio.

I do not mean to offend anyone, but this is just my suggestion that whenever there is an Update or a Service Pack released for any software that you are using, the first thing that you should do is to have it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuja Ali
    Service Packs are there for a reason. And moreover it does not cost anything to have one installed on your system. Just take a look at what SP2 for XP does update in your system.

I would strongly suggest to have SP2 installed on the system even if you are not going to use Visual Studio.

I do not mean to offend anyone, but this is just my suggestion that whenever there is an Update or a Service Pack released for any software that you are using, the first thing that you should do is to have it installed.
    I have tried to install SP2. My computer is effectively unusable after the installation. I have all the updates/patches for XP installed. It is not like my laptop is some strange configuration. It is a standard Dell computer. It is very likely that there is some piece of software that is causing the conflict, but my computer is setup like I want it. So should I not be able to Install this software just because the MS programmers are lazy and want to have certain components installed first. I have read the links. There is really no reason to have a SP2 for the VS 2005 installation.

Personally I don't get much time to hunt down Service Packs, and I'm lazy. I barely even know when and which are available.
    Having VS 2005 on a service Pack 1 machine, and it works, is good for me..

Quote Originally Posted by sotoasty
    I have tried to install SP2. My computer is effectively unusable after the installation. I have all the updates/patches for XP installed. It is not like my laptop is some strange configuration. It is a standard Dell computer. It is very likely that there is some piece of software that is causing the conflict, but my computer is setup like I want it. So should I not be able to Install this software just because the MS programmers are lazy and want to have certain components installed first. I have read the links. There is really no reason to have a SP2 for the VS 2005 installation.
    Sometimes some updates might crank up the system, but these updates are there for reason that is what I was trying to say. I m not talking in particular about VS 2005, I was talking about the whole system. It is always better to have latestupdates/patches installed on your system to avert any security threat. I have SP2 installed on a regular Dell PC too and I have not had any problems so far.

You calways go to MSDN and post your feedback so that the developers working in MS get to know that there is some problem out there with the SP2.

And from the link pasted you would have seen how easy it is to bypass this particular check.check.

I've installed SP2 on many Dell computers, both Desktop, and Laptop.
    Never had any problem. Did you check on the Dell site? The most common problem is not having current updates, if SP2 fails, according to MS.

I had problems a few years ago, because of my Soundblaster Live Card. Needed drivers, or I couldn't access Windows Update, as well as a few other things that failed. Luckily, they support SP2 issues for free. (or at least they did)
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I have all the updates from Dell, and all the updates from MS. It is not that the SP fails, it just makes the computer so slow as to be un-usable( something weird with Explorer). I don't care about installing SP2. I have all the patches and updates, I just want to get VS 2005 installed.

And I have also installed SP2 on about 100 Dells laptops and Desktops of all flavors. Never had a problem with any of them. Just mine.

sotoasty wrote

I just want to get VS 2005 installed.

Please let me know what happens, when you try my method.
    I've updated it, if you hadn't seen it since the first time.

In theory you can eliminate the need for any of these, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by sotoasty
    I have all the updates from Dell, and all the updates from MS. It is not that the SP fails, it just makes the computer so slow as to be un-usable( something weird with Explorer). I don't care about installing SP2. I have all the patches and updates, I just want to get VS 2005 installed.

And I have also installed SP2 on about 100 Dells laptops and Desktops of all flavors. Never had a problem with any of them. Just mine.
    Wel, by your numbers, your machine has a 99% chance of being repaired by doing a format & reinstall.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Now that VB2008 is out, I've tried the same trick above that works on VB2005, and I've not had any luck with it yet.

I dont see this line:
    AdminModeSupported=1
    So maybe that is preventing it from working on VB2008.

If I find a way to bypass the SP2 requirement, I'll post it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast