dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: C++ standard library look up

C++ standard library look up

Hi all:
    for those who programmed with Java before, Sun provides J2SE/J2EE API documentation where a programmer can look up the a given class and their member functions accordingly.

I would like to know if C++ has the same API doc. The MSDN library provided version can be somewhat awkward to use i find..
    ------------
    I.B.M... I Blame Microsoft

Re: C++ standard library look up

Quote Originally Posted by doglin
    Hi all:
    for those who programmed with Java before, Sun provides J2SE/J2EE API documentation where a programmer can look up the a given class and their member functions accordingly.
    That is because Sun invented the language, so they better have docs for their own language.
    I would like to know if C++ has the same API doc
    There is no such universal doc for C++. The inventor of the language, Bjarne Stroustrup, has written "The C++ Programming Language", but apart from some other papers he's written, that's all you'll find from the author.

You either have to google, get reference books (which are stated in a FAQ here), or use whatever documentation comes with the compiler if you want to get C++ documentation.

One such book is "The C++ Standard Library" by Nicolai Josuttis, which is the best IMO when it comes to discussing the standard library.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Probably the best full online reference for the C and C++ standard libraries is here: www.dinkumware.com