dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: Do you believe in superstition?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.56%
  • No

11 61.11%
  • Somewhat

6 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Breaker #17: Do you believe in superstition?

Question Ice Breaker #17: Do you believe in superstition?

So, members of CG... do you believe in superstition?

I guess it would also be interesting if you can also share at least one superstition you have in your country.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Re: Ice Breaker #17: Do you believe in superstition?

There is one which goes something like this: If a cat crosses your way, then something bad is gonna come your way soon.

Well, not that I beleive in it, but it was funny when once, when a bunch of u were going on a road trip, when we were just starting out after a break, a cat crossed the road right in front of us before we got into the freeway, and we hadn't gone a few miles, when my friend who was driving, got cited by a cop for overspeeding We all had a good laugh

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    So, members of CG... do you believe in superstition?
    Somewhat i Generally tend not to believe in these, ut sometimes i dont know what happens to me , and i do every thin , even if i dont believe in them, hmmmm

I guess it would also be interesting if you can also share at least one superstition you have in your country.
    wow i could fill up this page with a whole list of them , there are so many where do i start from

- Its considered that if you are on your way to some place , and a Black cat crosses your path, then its not a good sigh, or that the purpose you are going for will not be served.

thats such a bad sayin, like i said earlier, i generally do not believe in all this, but when i step out for an important day or something, that really would mean a lot to me and , then TADA a cat crosses the road, il be like ( okey, now there was a sayin like this, hmmm and i need today to work out for me, so why take the risk ) and then , il be either taking a break from the trip or il be taking a diversion.

lol Kirants was faster in posting the reply , aaah but again there you go you have proof for the Myth

Ps: so Cherish how come you have not voted or said anythin abt the same ice breaker, so what do you have to say ?
    Last edited by sreehari; September 19th, 2006 at 12:50 AM.
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    There is one which goes something like this: If a cat crosses your way, then something bad is gonna come your way soon.
    Intesting! We have the same superstition in Philippines. Or, is it a universal type of superstition? Maybe this thing came from ancient Egyptians? Hmm...

Thanks so much btw for the funny experience you guys had about that particular superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by sreehari
    Err Cherish, some people would say that belief in GOD is also superstition , does that come under your list ??
    Ah, well... I guess it depends on the person's view on the matter. It's not necessarily on my list.
    Interestingly, dictionary.com defines "superstition" as:
    1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
    4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
    So I guess, if one's belief in God is based on reason or knowledge, then it's not superstition.

- Its considered that if you are on your way to some place , and a Black cat crosses your path, then its not a good sigh, or that the purpose you are going for will not be served.
    Ah, similar with what Kiran shared.

Ps: so Cherish how come you have not voted or said anythin abt the same ice breaker, so what do you have to say ?
    Well, here it is...

Also, I've read somewhere that when one becomes conscious/aware about something might happen.. that person's anticipation does attract something ominuous. In short, a person can attract negative vibes/things by just merely thinking it... (Or, is that a superstition already? )
    Last edited by cherish; September 19th, 2006 at 01:12 AM.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Intesting! We have the same superstition in Philippines. Or, is it a universal type of superstition? Maybe this thing came from ancient Egyptians? Hmm...
    Thats intresting to know i wonder how many more ppl are gonna say that its there in their country too ...are there any Egyptians here ?? we could verify

Ah, similar with what Kiran shared.
    Here you go then, Kirans post about cops reminded me this, this one actually happened during my colg days, and it goes like this

"" if you happen to be toucing one eye only / or you are gettin up from bed early in the morning and you rub your eyes again ( one eye ) while you are still in bed, then the person watching you ( for the first case ) , or you gets Bad luck.""

so the story goes like this, i was up from bed and and half asleep i just rubbed my eyes, my room mate then says to me " stop doin that cos you'l have bad luck, its sounded rather silly to me and i laughingly ask him, what the relation between my eyes and bad luck. he tries to explain ( tho i dont rem what exactly he said that day, as it made no scense to me ). later in the day, in the eve after colg, thats when my friends and my self were return back, out of the blue all of us decide to do some racing on your bikes, and after the race wen we come back and park our bikes, what you know, the cops sieze all our bikes and all of us get tickets. .

to date i say this incidet to the same friend of mine and we laugh at how things went that day ...
    Last edited by sreehari; September 19th, 2006 at 01:34 AM.
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." Calvin

Thats intresting to know i wonder how many more ppl are gonna say that its there in their country too ...are there any Egyptians here ?? we could verify
    Well, there's Queen Nefertiti...

A strong NO from me!
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

i have a feelin i am being out numbered here is this am ambush ??
    - Sreehari

i have a feelin i am being out numbered here is this am ambush ??
    Aw, that's alright.

Just wonder at times, when such a small cat crosses our path, we believe that so many bad things happen, hmmmm imagine the cats state when we ( being so big compared to the cat ) cross its paths.

I once did that wanting to find out and so i delibrately crossed a cats path, and could not conclude on any results, as i did not see tha cat again
    - Sreehari

I once did that wanting to find out and so i delibrately crossed a cats path, and could not conclude on any results, as i did not see tha cat again
    LOL!! Well, I guess that's proof enough. You must have scared the heck out of that poor cat...

I think that black cat thing is world wide, it is also very popular in Poland.
    I do not believe in superstition of any kind, probably I am just too pragmatic. However, I slowly start to believe that everytime that I go to toilet someone is going to ring on my door or my mobile. It happens just too often :|
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

Excuse me, I think the thread title is an irony. Nobody would think the superstitions he/she believes in, are superstitions. To that person, his/her superstitions are the truth and other superstitions (other than his own) are superstitions which he/she would not believe.

No, but it's funny to call bad luck doing the bad things supposed to be unlucky, such as walking under a ladder and so on.

BTW, welcome back cherish
    ++++++++[>++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<++[>-----<-]>.<+++[>++++<-]>++.<+++[>----<-]>-.----.
    God does not play dice with the universe.(A.Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by CBasicNet
    Nobody would think the superstitions he/she believes in, are superstitions.
    Well... Note that the question is not "do you believe in a superstition", nor is it "are you superstitious"...

Therefore, by the way the question is asked, the only possible reply is "yes": Superstition, as a set of irrational beliefs, is a common and widespread phenomenon - its existence can definitely be confirmed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast