dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: Do you believe in superstition?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.56%
  • No

11 61.11%
  • Somewhat

6 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Breaker #17: Do you believe in superstition?

Re: Ice Breaker #17: Do you believe in superstition?

Not that I believe in superstitions, but some habits just dont go away...

Like saying 'touchwood' when praising someone near or telling someone about own achievement. e.g. "I am lucky not to have an accident while driving. touchwood".

I just had an accident 3 weeks back.. so it seems touchwood doesnot work Good that I want hurt much
    Sarve Bhavantu Sukheenah,
    Sarve Santu Niramayah,
    Sarve Bhadrani Pashyantu,
    Ma Kashchit dukh bhag bhavet.

yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo finally someone

@chmanish: No offence , just that many were tryin to out number me, well just happy to have company
    Last edited by sreehari; September 19th, 2006 at 04:59 AM.
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by chmanish
    Like saying 'touchwood' when praising someone near or telling someone about own achievement. e.g. "I am lucky not to have an accident while driving. touchwood".
    Interesting. We also have something similar, but we say: "Knock on wood"

... What is it about wood, anyway?
    Last edited by cherish; September 19th, 2006 at 05:00 AM.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by cherish
    ... What is it about wood, anyway?
    <-- Clickable smilie...

Superstitions are superstitions because they dont have any logical explaination. They just happened to a number of people in th epast and ppl just believe them to be true.

One relative of mine does everything twice. Like he comes in thru the door, then goes out and then comes in again!!

He owns a medical shop.. so when the customer asks for some medicine, he gets them, then takes them back and again hands them to the customer.

but that has now become a habit more than a superstition.

@sreehari: Ek se bhale do!
    Sarve Bhavantu Sukheenah,
    Sarve Santu Niramayah,
    Sarve Bhadrani Pashyantu,
    Ma Kashchit dukh bhag bhavet.

Well, here's another one in the group!

1. Sneezing near someone who is going out somewhere is supposed to cause problems (not of any specific sort)
    2. Don't ask where a person is going at the time the person is going...

I get into these 2 sometimes..

Then there's another one - not getting a haircut on specific days - this I think I knowingly or unknowingly follow -- because I usually get a haircut on Sundays.. (well, I don't have time during the weekdays) and I avoid Saturdays... btw I don't recall the story/myth behind this...

@exterminator: So what would happen if you do ask a person where they are going? I mean, you didn't mention what would happen if one doesn't observe that particular superstition.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

@exterminator: So what would happen if you do ask a person where they are going? I mean, you didn't mention what would happen if one doesn't observe that particular superstition.
    Don't know exactly but something like the trip/travel gets disrupted in some way.. you won't be successful in what you went out for.. anything.. I mean.. it's just stated that ask the person but not when he is on his way at the door..

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    Don't know exactly but something like the trip/travel gets disrupted in some way...
    Well, that sounds obvious to me... I mean, the first disruption is already the fact that the person has to stop for a moment, in order to hear your question, and perhaps reply...

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Well, that sounds obvious to me... I mean, the first disruption is already the fact that the person has to stop for a moment, in order to hear your question, and perhaps reply...
    Yeah.. but something apart from that too...

Maybe this thing came from ancient Egyptians?
    Hm.. I am not sure about this, but I remember that Egypitians infact revered and worshipped cats, not the other way around

I have a personally superstitoin about red-lights.
    If I hit 3 red-lights in a row (going straight only, turning negates this)
    then something bad is going to happen, or something bad has happened.

The reason I say that bad has happened it is becuase I went would gambling and lose, then hit every red light on the way home .

But I know it's a joke I play on myself
    Even if everybody spoke the same language, nobody would be speaking the same language.

--Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    Hm.. I am not sure about this, but I remember that Egypitians infact revered and worshipped cats, not the other way around
    You are right, Kiran.

In fact, this point in itself justifies the superstition - doesn't it?
    The culture and the dynasties that revered cats are long since extinct...

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    but it could also be that the CAT godess is tryin to say something, and does not want you to go there ( where ever you were goin )
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." Calvin

Here's an example of a common superstition in this place of the world: A very widespread belief among motorists says that carving mystic patterns of parallel, wiggly grooves into rubber tyres of cars will appease the evil spirits of hydroplaning, and hence help preventing accidents during heavy rainfall...

Another (equally rain-related) superstition goes like this: Carrying with you a fancy stick with a polygonal wire frame, covered by fabric (traditionally black silk, but it can be replaced by motley coloured synthetics these days) will very efficiently prevent rain from falling. Actually, I've been able to confirm this myself: If you bring this relic, chances are very good that it will not rain. But leave it at home, and you're almost guaranteed to end up in a heavy shower...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast