CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: Do you believe in superstition?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.56%
  • No

11 61.11%
  • Somewhat

6 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ice Breaker #17: Do you believe in superstition?

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    Hm.. I am not sure about this, but I remember that Egypitians infact revered and worshipped cats, not the other way around
    I wasn't saying that it's the other way around.
    The fact that Egyptians revered and worshipped cats shows that this superstition about cats must have come from them. I mean, cats are like a god to them, has the power to bring one good or bad luck. If you think about it, if people do believe in this superstition... they thus fear the cat (believing it does have that power).

Interestingly, I found the following info from a website:
    Cats were sacred to the goddess, Isis in Egyptian mythology.

Archaeologists in Egypt found cat cemeteries from which a shipment of embalmed cats was taken to England. In Egypt it was believed that a black cat crossing one's path brought good luck.
    But since superstition about cats are not only in Egypt, that belief must've come from somewhere else...
    Last edited by cherish; September 19th, 2006 at 06:32 PM.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

poor cats. Don't know how they got associated with evil things
    Anyways, here are few more which I grew up listening to:
    • Do not trim nails at night. If you do, I don't know what befalls
    • If you whistle at night, it would attract snakes.
    • If something repeats twice in succession, the third one WILL follow

it was believed that a black cat crossing one's path brought good luck.
    If Mr. Focker of "Meet the parents" knew that, probably he would have dyed the whole cat black instead of just the tail. Things probably would've turned out good for him then

Interesting superstitions there, Kiran. I haven't heard of those, except maybe for the third one. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    If Mr. Focker of "Meet the parents" knew that, probably he would have dyed the whole cat black instead of just the tail. Things probably would've turned out good for him then
    LOL!! Probably.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Another (equally rain-related) superstition goes like this: Carrying with you a fancy stick with a polygonal wire frame, covered by fabric (traditionally black silk, but it can be replaced by motley coloured synthetics these days) will very efficiently prevent rain from falling. Actually, I've been able to confirm this myself: If you bring this relic, chances are very good that it will not rain. But leave it at home, and you're almost guaranteed to end up in a heavy shower...
    IT is NOT a superstition, its true. Last month it was raining cats and dogs and I never had an umbrella with me, so I was usually totally wet when coming back from work. So I decided to buy an umbrella and keep it with me wherever I go. Since then, rains stopped, beautiful sun was shining, and colleagues were laughing at me that I am carrying umbrella when there is beautiful weather. And guess what happened when one sunny morning I left it at home...
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

The Umbrella thing is no superstition...

The number of times I have experienced this is too many to call it a coincidence....

My umbrella rarely gets wet. Its me who is drenched all the time
    Sarve Bhavantu Sukheenah,
    Sarve Santu Niramayah,
    Sarve Bhadrani Pashyantu,
    Ma Kashchit dukh bhag bhavet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobson
    IT is NOT a superstition, its true. Last month it was raining cats and dogs and I never had an umbrella with me, so I was usually totally wet when coming back from work. So I decided to buy an umbrella and keep it with me wherever I go. Since then, rains stopped, beautiful sun was shining, and colleagues were laughing at me that I am carrying umbrella when there is beautiful weather. And guess what happened when one sunny morning I left it at home...
    Well at the time you took the umbrella , you mentioned that your colleagues laughed at ya , meaning most of them brought umbrellas. then y did it not rain for them ??? according to ya theory ( truth ) it should have cos most of them not bring umbrellas ??
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

I beleieve my key is here somewhere...did soemone seen it?...is it a superticious to believe my key is here...somehere?...

...???...
    ...don't blame me...when I smell nicc 'o' tyne...
    ...friends are like bras: close to your heart and there for support..

Quote Originally Posted by sreehari
    Well at the time you took the umbrella , you mentioned that your colleagues laughed at ya , meaning most of them brought umbrellas. then y did it not rain for them ??? according to ya theory ( truth ) it should have cos most of them not bring umbrellas ??
    It should, you're right. But probably their truth is different than mine And that was me who was always getting wet or carrying umbrella unnecessary.
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

Quote Originally Posted by sreehari
    The conclusion is the world centers around Hobson, whether other people brought their umbrella, doesn't matter.

Two very good articles on technological superstitions!

Silicon Superstitions from ACM queue.

Egomania Itself, a blog article on Agile methodologies as a superstition.

Enjoy!

Re: Two very good articles on technological superstitions!

Thanks for sharing.

Yikes only I have answered YES
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123