CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How to read the serial port DCB of a running exe?

Hi,

is there any possiblity to read out the DCB-parameters of the serial port of a running program? I mean the release version of an executable. Does anyone know a (freeware) tool for doing that?

Thanks in advance,
    Physicus.

Re: How to read the serial port DCB of a running exe?

Quote Originally Posted by Physicus
    is there any possiblity to read out the DCB-parameters of the serial port of a running program? I mean the release version of an executable. Does anyone know a (freeware) tool for doing that?
    Your question is not very clear: The DCB parameters are associated with the serial port, not with the application. The application justs sets them at some time. What exactly are you trying to find out?

if you interested in knowing what DCB is being set, you could probably try tools like portmon It probably will show an IOCTL corresponding to SetCommState

@ gstercken:

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    Your question is not very clear: The DCB parameters are associated with the serial port, not with the application. The application justs sets them at some time. What exactly are you trying to find out?
    That's exactly what I meant. Of course the DCB is associated with the serial port - and I want to read it's parameters! That's it.
    The reason why I wrote "... for a running program ... release version..." was to prevent from answers like "... oh it's very simple: just monitor your DCB-variable in the watch-window of your Visual Studio and you will see all the parameters at any time..." ;-)

@ kirants:
    Thank's for your help. I will check whether this program reports the DCB-parameters. The most programs I have tested only show the traffic on the ports, but not these parameters.

Thank's and best regards,
    Physicus.

@ Kirants,

I've now tried this program (PortMon). It reports the DCB settings (and gettings) which the application does. So it's what I am looking for. Thank you very much!

Physicus.