dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HUGE compile time not understood

Re: HUGE compile time not understood

@David: You have to supply a line Public Sub SetData01 to make a sub in the module.

Ok I did two modules and got also very unexpected high compile times.
    I put a dummy Form1 in and compiled an exe project, but I can't see the OBJ files after compilation. Have I got some option set wrong?
    The exe however contains the text spaced up like that: 'a c a c i a m a b e l l a e', where the spaces are zero-bytes, for unicode compatibility if I'm any judge.

I couldn't help noticing, however, that the exe containing 2 modules was about the same size as the first one with only 1 module. A look inside the exe revealed that every string was only contained once, although specified again in the second module.
    I think the compiler compares string data with each other to avoid the double storage of identical strings. Therefore maybe the long compile times.

As a conclusion I'd say, without knowing what the project will result in, I'd rather keep all these strings in a text file which is read in at start up, or put it in a data base where it can be random-accessed.

Thanks for that excellent effort and analysis. I agree and sadly will have to give up on burying the data in the app and instead just leave it as a separate file.
    phinds
    vs2008, 3.5SP1 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM

A separate note on the Toshiba laptop overheating. Mine was doing that too. I removed the fan cover, and it was loaded with dust. So much, that it had clogged the little flat tube that supplies the cooling for the CPU. I cleaned it all out, and it doesn't overheat anymore. My cooling fan is making ugly noises, so I need to replace it, but it still works.

RSD, thanks for that advice. I'm SURE you're right as I've found that if I leave an external fan blowing on the laptop it doesn't commit suicide when given CPU intensive tasks. I'll get out the screwdriver ...
    phinds
    vs2008, 3.5SP1 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12