CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

App Installation Blues

Hello everyone. My situation is that I'm getting an error of "The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine". I'm getting this when trying to install an app that I did with Visual Basic 2008 using an Access 2007 Db. I had this error before in my first attempts to install the app. I have learned of a couple of conditions that will cause it. First is if AccessDatabaseEngine.exe isn't part of the solution, then that will generate that error. Second is if AccessDatabaseEngine is part of the solution but the app/solution is running on a 64 bit OS then it's error city. So to take care of the second scenario I had to set compile to x86. So like that the app was working on all of the computers that I was testing the app on. It worked on Vista 32, Win7 32, Win7 64. But the app has evolved a bit so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it on the same computers as before. I have two win7 64 computers that I've been testing all the while. Now on one of them I'm getting that "The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine" error. I don't understand what the problem is. I verified that AccessDatabase.exe is on the machine. The app is compiled x86 style. I have uninstalled and re-installed it many times and have no idea what to do next. Can anyone please help me with this?

Unhappy Re: App Installation Blues

I have more information: After I had the app working I included a crystal Report. So CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x86.msi was part of the deployment and I wasn't ever able to get the report to load on the client without the app blowing up. So I removed that .msi and the form that had the report and the report and any and all references to the report. Then I went ahead with recompiling and reattempting the deployment/installation. So that's all. Help! Please.

Re: App Installation Blues

Isn't there a newer redistributable? That looks like 2008
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

There maybe a new one but that's the one on my machine. I don't know how it got there for sure. I guess it came with the Visual Studio installation. I now realize i didn't attempt the installation on the 64 bit machines with the x64 cr msi. But at this point I'm stuck with the error i mentioned earlier and need to get past that one before I continue with the CR stuff.

Haven't used CR before, so I can't help. I know it came with VB6, though, but never even installed it
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Actually I think they removed CR from VB as of version 6 though it was there in VB5
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

That's cool dg. My interpretation of the situation is that the app behaves like if AccessDatabaseEngine.exe isn't on the machine or the communication with the exe has been severed. One of my custom messagebox's is being displayed in try catch block that doesn't give much useful info. I'll add something else to the block to see if that helps. I think there may be more useful info that I can added to ex.? anyone have a pet routine that helps nail down these kinds of problems?

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Actually I think they removed CR from VB as of version 6 though it was there in VB5
    Pretty sure it's on the VB6 CD, as an optional install
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP